CFZ Planet Theory

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I find it strange nobody's brought up George Young and Bill Parcells' "Planet Theory" regarding Mazi Smith, when this seems like a perfect example of it.

In case anyone doesn't know know, the theory is that there are only so many people on the planet with his size and athleticism, so when one comes along, you take him. Mazi certainly fits the mold--number one on Bruce Feldman's "College Football Freaks" list, for example.

Is it a sound drafting philosophy, when you have a guy who fits the planet theory but doesn't necessarily have the production to match? Beats me. But at least it is a philosophy, which is better than no plan at all. If they really had him at 14 on their board and the debate in the war room was about the trade down rather than who to take (you should never be debating that at the last minute for your first-round pick), then I'm cool with the process and the pick. I have no idea what trade-down possibilities they might have been able to work that would have guaranteed they could still get him, so I don't hold that against them. I'm hoping that Quinn and guys like Parsons, with his enthusiasm and passion, can help him develop those traits into high-effort production.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I find it strange nobody's brought up George Young and Bill Parcells' "Planet Theory" regarding Mazi Smith, when this seems like a perfect example of it.

In case anyone doesn't know know, the theory is that there are only so many people on the planet with his size and athleticism, so when one comes along, you take him. Mazi certainly fits the mold--number one on Bruce Feldman's "College Football Freaks" list, for example.

Is it a sound drafting philosophy, when you have a guy who fits the planet theory but doesn't necessarily have the production to match? Beats me. But at least it is a philosophy, which is better than no plan at all. If they really had him at 14 on their board and the debate in the war room was about the trade down rather than who to take (you should never be debating that at the last minute for your first-round pick), then I'm cool with the process and the pick. I have no idea what trade-down possibilities they might have been able to work that would have guaranteed they could still get him, so I don't hold that against them. I'm hoping that Quinn and guys like Parsons, with his enthusiasm and passion, can help him develop those traits into high-effort production.
to add to it klancy most likely was their target and Mazi was their 2nd ranked NT/IDL.. they took him.

most fans are most upset because philly got Smith because we passed on him. I really do not care. also look at the run on DL in the first round.. wasnt going to be any of note left in the 2nd, heck wasnt the 4 of the last 5 picks after the DC all DL?? be if we didn't take him hes gone before 32..

shabazz

Reaction score
Not sure about the planet theory, but I wonder if we’d have picked a DT if Garrett was still the OC here?

Quinn has probably filled the vacuum that Garrett left and was able to get his man in Mazi

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Not sure about the planet theory, but I wonder if we’d have picked a DT if Garrett was still the OC here?

Quinn has probably filled the vacuum that Garrett left and was able to get his man in Mazi
Assuming Marinelli was still the DC absolutely not. We would have waiting on another 6th round Joey Ivey type that Rod could get to sign an effort contract.

Knotamus

Reaction score
If they really had him at 14 on their board and the debate in the war room was about the trade down rather than who to take (you should never be debating that at the last minute for your first-round pick), then I'm cool with the process and the pick. I have no idea what trade-down possibilities they might have been able to work
- Where Dal had him ranked doesn’t concern me. He was projected, and thus drafted, as a late 1st-2nd pick either way. Dal obviously wanted him and he wouldn’t have been available at 58.
- I take the debating by the FO as a sign that they had multiple players available that they like(which is a luxury at 26). Maybe they were debating the trade back options, maybe players fit and impact, etc.. bottomline, they made a sound pick. I trust McClay, only time will tell.
- It would be nice to know what the trade offer was…we know why Dal nixed KC (bc they wanted Mazi). LV would have had to give up a few draft picks to move back into the 1st.. maybe they didn’t offer enough. Suppose we’ll never know

Flamma

Reaction score

It's a sound theory to me. There's only a few guys on the planet as fast as Darell Green. When you find one, you take him. Doesn't always mean it's going to work out.

I think we didn't trade back because no one expected the Cowboys to take a DT. As a result, they may have been afraid those teams wanted what the Cowboys wanted. Three edge and a DT were taken after us. Who knows if one of them would have picked Mazi? He was the best remaining DT IMO.

HungryLion

Reaction score
It kind of is.
I agree with your premise though.

I don’t believe in pure combine numbers obviously. But with guys who show their athleticism on the football field. It’s evident on tape that Mazi is a freak athlete.

If a guy shows freak athleticism on tape. Then they’ll show it on the field in the NFL too. As long as they have that, are smart and coachable. It’s usually a safe bet.

Having the bigger, stronger, faster team is always an advantage. Doesn’t mean you’ll win. But it’s an advantage.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I was really hoping this was going to be a thread about how Mazi Smith believes the earth is flat.
Thank God it wasn’t. It would be a shocker though since he’s all-academic big ten which means you have to maintain a 3.0. He majored in writing and English literature.

Havic

Reaction score
I’m loving this pick more and more. Bills did us a favor by removing Kincaid from the board. We gotta get these trenches in order

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- Where Dal had him ranked doesn’t concern me. He was projected, and thus drafted, as a late 1st-2nd pick either way. Dal obviously wanted him and he wouldn’t have been available at 58.
- I take the debating by the FO as a sign that they had multiple players available that they like(which is a luxury at 26). Maybe they were debating the trade back options, maybe players fit and impact, etc.. bottomline, they made a sound pick. I trust McClay, only time will tell.
- It would be nice to know what the trade offer was…we know why Dal nixed KC (bc they wanted Mazi). LV would have had to give up a few draft picks to move back into the 1st.. maybe they didn’t offer enough. Suppose we’ll never know
I care about where Dallas had him ranked (well, to some extent). I believe that good results come from good process, so I like to understand if the Cowboys are following their process. If he was the top player on their board and they were confident he wouldn't fall to them in the second, then the process seems sound. I hope they weren't debating multiple players at that point, because they should have hammered all that out before the draft started. They probably were, though. Jerry likes to let everyone have their say, and I doubt he's the kind of GM who's painstakingly worked through all the possibilities in advance.