CFZ Planet Theory

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reminds me of Norm from Cheers and his beer drinking theory.

Drinking beer makes your mind stronger. Not weaker like they try to say.

It is like a herd of animals. When being chased the weakest and slowest ones are the ones that are caught and killed off. Therefore making the herd stronger.
so when drinking beer it kills off the weakest brain cells, therefore keeping the mind strong.

Knotamus

Reaction score
I hope they weren't debating multiple players at that point, because they should have hammered all that out before the draft started. They probably were, though. Jerry likes to let everyone have their say, and I doubt he's the kind of GM who's painstakingly worked through all the possibilities in advance.
Yeah, I believe Jerry takes some pleasure in the debate. And I get it. Jerry is an Alpha type that appreciates strong opinions. He’s done this long enough to understand there is a difference between painstaking scouting and Good-ole fashion coach’s gut. Watching the War Room last night, it looks like MM was making a valid effort and McClay was giving it right back at him. I’m not going to assume MM was standing on the table for an offensive player like many have done, so I don’t know who won that debate. Maybe they had Porter rated higher and MM demanded we shore up our weakest hole on defense..who knows. But from the looks of it, McClay sure looked like the defacto GM weighing the options. Jerry didn’t say much, but he sure looked to be enjoying the debate. At the end of the day, the decision is deferred to Jerry. What ever they were talking about, they seemed to have made a solid pick to sure up a much ignored position.. the defense and DQ benefited the most.

Now it’s McCarthys turn

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I find it strange nobody's brought up George Young and Bill Parcells' "Planet Theory" regarding Mazi Smith, when this seems like a perfect example of it.

In case anyone doesn't know know, the theory is that there are only so many people on the planet with his size and athleticism, so when one comes along, you take him. Mazi certainly fits the mold--number one on Bruce Feldman's "College Football Freaks" list, for example.

Is it a sound drafting philosophy, when you have a guy who fits the planet theory but doesn't necessarily have the production to match? Beats me. But at least it is a philosophy, which is better than no plan at all. If they really had him at 14 on their board and the debate in the war room was about the trade down rather than who to take (you should never be debating that at the last minute for your first-round pick), then I'm cool with the process and the pick. I have no idea what trade-down possibilities they might have been able to work that would have guaranteed they could still get him, so I don't hold that against them. I'm hoping that Quinn and guys like Parsons, with his enthusiasm and passion, can help him develop those traits into high-effort production.
Funny. I thought about this exact Parcellsism this morning.