Play Calling - First down

khiladi

Reaction score
So I wanted to assess this claim that we run on first down, putting us in down and distance. This seems to be another way to absolve Dak. So here is the data from yesterday’s game.

First series:

Pass
Run
Pass (Aubrey money)

Second series:

Run
Run

Third Series:

Pass
Pass
Pass

Situationally, this drive started with 2:41 left in the first quarter. They only ran 1 time until Lamb fumbled. I missed this series, but I would be surprised if they went no-huddle. They were also in a 1st and 19 when Lamb fumbled.

Fourth series:

Run (situationally they were at their own 7)
This was the drive it should have been a safety.

Fifth series:

Pass
Run (third down Dak throws it at Zeke’s feet)

Sixth series:

Pass
Pass, Aubrey money

Seventh series:

Run
Run
Run (face mask on Ravens)
Run (penalty Cowboys)

Eight series:

Pass
Pass
Pass

Ninth series (no huddle garbage time):

Pass
Pass
Pass

Tenth series (onside kick garbage time no huddle):

Run
Pass
Pass

11 series (garbage time no huddle):

Pass
Pass
Pass
Pass

they ran a total of 16 times, two of them scrambles by Dak, 1 by Turpin, most probably an end around. The days clearly suggests this notion they run too much on first down is a crock of garbage, it was at least balanced, and when they actually did run they moved the chains at times. Also they didn’t actually run that bad with Rico, plus he was targeted 5 times in the passing game.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
Remember, this offense was dumbed down for Dak, among the reasons given was that Moore offense supposedly “scored too fast” and didn’t give the defense time to rest. They also said it was the reason Dak was throwing too many picks, meaning too much responsibility.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Yeah I really don't see much of an issue with playcalling. Run/pass mix has been pretty good on all downs, at least once you take out game situations from the equation as the Cowboys have been forced to throw in 2 of these 3 games. The issue is a lack of execution. When you average 3.6YPC these runs are almost just wasted plays. The Cowboys have been running a lot of 2TE looks, they've tried getting the FB on the field more, they are rotating these receivers in and out of the game, play action that no one respects because our run game is so weak.

I do think its a legitimate complaint with play calling in that this team needs to get more intermediate routes going, especially some of those intermediate crossers, but I think its a lot easier said than done given this group. I just dont think McCarthy nor Dak have any confidence in protection to hold up for these 3 second route concepts to develop.

RonWashington

Reaction score
So I wanted to assess this claim that we run on first down, putting us in down and distance. This seems to be another way to absolve Dak. So here is the data from yesterday’s game.

First series:

Pass
Run
Pass (Aubrey money)

Second series:

Run
Run

Third Series:

Pass
Pass
Pass

Situationally, this drive started with 2:41 left in the first quarter. They only ran 1 time until Lamb fumbled. I missed this series, but I would be surprised if they went no-huddle. They were also in a 1st and 19 when Lamb fumbled.

Fourth series:

Fifth series:

Pass

Sixth series:

Pass
Pass, Aubrey money

Seventh series:

Run
Run
Run (penalty Cowboys)

Eight series:

Pass
Pass
Pass

Pass
Pass
Pass

Run
Pass
Pass

Pass
Pass
Pass
Pass

they ran a total of 16 times, two of them scrambles by Dak, 1 by Turpin, most probably an end around. The days clearly suggests this notion they run too much on first down is a crock of garbage, it was at least balanced, and when they actually did run they moved the chains at times. Also they didn’t actually run that bad with Rico, plus he was targeted 5 times in the passing game.

Good post .

khiladi

Reaction score
Yeah I really don't see much of an issue with playcalling. Run/pass mix has been pretty good on all downs, at least once you take out game situations from the equation as the Cowboys have been forced to throw in 2 of these 3 games. The issue is a lack of execution. When you average 3.6YPC these runs are almost just wasted plays. The Cowboys have been running a lot of 2TE looks, they've tried getting the FB on the field more, they are rotating these receivers in and out of the game, play action that no one respects because our run game is so weak.

I do think its a legitimate complaint with play calling in that this team needs to get more intermediate routes going, especially some of those intermediate crossers, but I think its a lot easier said than done given this group. I just dont think McCarthy nor Dak have any confidence in protection to hold up for these 3 second route concepts to develop.

The WCO is predicated on shorter routes. Dak’s pocket time was tracked at 2.4 seconds per Pro Reference advanced passing. Teams are playing a lot more cover 2 deep shell now and doubling Lamb,

The data doesn’t suggest the run is the problem, as far as putting them in down and unmanageable situations.

tm1119

Reaction score
Teams are playing with 2 high safeties constantly because they don’t respect the run game and there’s no attempt at adjusting to that so far. Just a lot of simple routes that are well covered forcing throws into tight windows.
Without a competent running game and/or creative adjustments to get the ball in the hands of a playmaker in space it’s going to be an uphill battle.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Teams are playing with 2 high safeties constantly because they don’t respect the run game and there’s no attempt at adjusting to that so far. Just a lot of simple routes that are well covered forcing throws into tight windows.
Without a competent running game and/or creative adjustments to get the ball in the hands of a playmaker in space it’s going to be an uphill battle.

Mel Kiper wants 2 high safeties outlawed

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
It's hard to have a football conversation with someone that is only pointing to ONE person as the reason we look terrible. Nobody except the kicker has looked good Not Martin, not Diggs, not Lamb, not Dak....and I only pointed them out because those guys are being paid at the top of their position in the NFL.

I get the impression that because of Daks paycheck....you want him to build the draft board, negotiate the contracts, sign the advertising deals, block, run, throw, catch, tackle, sack the QB, get interceptions, prevent penalties, never fumble, never miss a throw, never throw a pick, throw the challenge flag, decide when to kick the extra point of go for 2....I really believe you think Dak should go out there by himself and take on the other teams front office, coaching staff and players by himself.

What is with you guys and your obsession with Daks paycheck? ALL OF THE QBs in the NFL have a big paycheck!!!!!!!!!!! It is not going to change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you really think that had Dak not signed his extension, the results would be any different? Is it Daks.... or ANY OTHER QBs fault for that matter....that the QB salaries are what they are?

Dallas is not the only franchise that has to figure out how to put together a roster with the QB salaries being what they are. Some of you need to follow a different sport....forget team....a different sport.....if you cannot move on from the QB salary issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The WCO is predicated on shorter routes. Dak’s pocket time was tracked at 2.4 seconds per Pro Reference advanced passing. Teams are playing a lot more cover 2 deep shell now and doubling Lamb,

The data doesn’t suggest the run is the problem, as far as putting them in down and unmanageable situations.
The data shows the blocking is good and we should be averaging about 5.3 ypc. But we don't have anyone who can take advantage of the blocking. We are tied with Pittsburgh for the 4th worst ypc average at 3.6. 3.6 ypc is a problem.

khiladi

Reaction score
No, they are playing 2 high safeties AND DOUBLING LAMB, because Dak can’t throw against zone.

The Texas West Coast also is predicated on short passing routes, so those “tight throws” are not really “tight throws”.

Last edited:

Creeper

Reaction score
The Cowboys must have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. They can't block anyone. Did you see the space the Ravens had to run? or the Saints the week before? They were getting 7 or 8 yards before getting touched by a defender. They would run outside for 10 or 11 yards and not get touched until they got a first down. You never see any space like that with the Cowboys on offense.

We should face the facts. Guyton is a raw talent. He may have potential but right now he is struggling.

Zack Martin is not the all-pro Zack Martin we are used to seeing. He is getting bullied by Younger guys.

Steele is not the same as he was before his injury and he looks to be regressing.

Beebe is doing fairly well, but he is a rookie and he is making the occasional rookie mistake too.

Tyler Smith is one guy and cannot do it all. He has not been especially great this year either. I didn't think the OL could be worse than it was last year, but it clearly is.

McCarthy needs to go to a quick passing game spreading the ball around. Dak doesn't have time to survey the field and find the open man. He isn't good at that anyway.

khiladi

Reaction score
It's hard to have a football conversation with someone that is only pointing to ONE person as the reason we look terrible. Nobody except the kicker has looked good Not Martin, not Diggs, not Lamb, not Dak....and I only pointed them out because those guys are being paid at the top of their position in the NFL.

I get the impression that because of Daks paycheck....you want him to build the draft board, negotiate the contracts, sign the advertising deals, block, run, throw, catch, tackle, sack the QB, get interceptions, prevent penalties, never fumble, never miss a throw, never throw a pick, throw the challenge flag, decide when to kick the extra point of go for 2....I really believe you think Dak should go out there by himself and take on the other teams front office, coaching staff and players by himself.

What is with you guys and your obsession with Daks paycheck? ALL OF THE QBs in the NFL have a big paycheck!!!!!!!!!!! It is not going to change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you really think that had Dak not signed his extension, the results would be any different? Is it Daks.... or ANY OTHER QBs fault for that matter....that the QB salaries are what they are?

Dallas is not the only franchise that has to figure out how to put together a roster with the QB salaries being what they are. Some of you need to follow a different sport....forget team....a different sport.....if you cannot move on from the QB salary issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL.. I was bashing Dak on his rookie contract. If Jerry listened to me, we wouldn’t have given him the franchise that off 2017 suckage, 2018 pre-Amari crap, 2019 third down play worse than Detroit, and 2020 7 TOs in 4 and a half games and a broken leg…

What was the excuse for Dak then, when he had 3 all-pro offensive linemen and the best rushing attack in the NFL? So it was OK to waste their careers to “train” this pretend starting QB?

conner01

Reaction score

First series:

Pass
Run
Pass (Aubrey money)

Second series:

Run
Run

Third Series:

Pass
Pass
Pass

Fourth series:

Fifth series:

Pass

Sixth series:

Pass
Pass, Aubrey money

Seventh series:

Run
Run
Run (penalty Cowboys)

Eight series:

Pass
Pass
Pass

Pass
Pass
Pass

Run
Pass
Pass

Pass
Pass
Pass
Pass

Penalties killed the first drive. You can’t get 3 penalties on a drive and expect much. The mix of run and pass I don’t see an issue with myself. Just have to execute and not get penalties

conner01

Reaction score
The data shows the blocking is good and we should be averaging about 5.3 ypc. But we don't have anyone who can take advantage of the blocking. We are tied with Pittsburgh for the 4th worst ypc average at 3.6. 3.6 ypc is a problem.
What data suggest we are blocking well?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

I mean I would agree that this isn't all a Dak problem, many of us have been pointing out that this roster is very flawed all offseason, but the Dak contract issue isnt one to just overlook either. Granted its been signed so whats done is done, but the ripple effects are still there, and it along with the other mega contracts on this team pose issues for the front office to have to navigate. Granted its only week 3 and yes itll change to some extent but the only division leader with a QB making $45M or more AAV is Philly. Everyone else has cheap QB deals (Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Houston, KC, Minnesota, NO, TB, Seattle)

khiladi

Reaction score
Penalties killed the first drive. You can’t get 3 penalties on a drive and expect much. The mix of run and pass I don’t see an issue with myself. Just have to execute and not get penalties
Not really.

The first penalty was on the Ravens and it bailed the offense out.

The first penalty was on a 3rd and 1, we still got the first down.

The second penalty was a third and 10, and put us in a 3rd and 15.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

What data are you looking at that suggests the run game isnt a problem?

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I mean I would agree that this isn't all a Dak problem, many of us have been pointing out that this roster is very flawed all offseason, but the Dak contract issue isnt one to just overlook either. Granted its been signed so whats done is done, but the ripple effects are still there, and it along with the other mega contracts on this team pose issues for the front office to have to navigate. Granted its only week 3 and yes itll change to some extent but the only division leader with a QB making $45M or more AAV is Philly. Everyone else has cheap QB deals (Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Houston, KC, Minnesota, NO, TB, Seattle)
Look....again....I didn't care if he stayed or went. But Jerry and his son make billions to make those decisions, and the decision should NOT have been made at the last minute. The entire Dak thing was mismanaged like NO OTHER QB situation in the NFL. The Broncos invested a lot in Russell Wilson....it was a HUGE mistake. But you know what they did....because my assumption is they have a REAL front office....is they found a way to get off of it and move on. Do you think Jerry would EVER do that? Let me help you out, the answer is no. But if they think the Dak extension was a mistake.....it was a mistake THEY willingly made. And they have to do REAL GM work to move off of it and field a team that is on the right trajectory. That is what every other front office in the NFL does on a daily basis. Except this one. Because the owner and his son and the rest of their "braintrust" are just playing around with their toy....and spending time track the size of players manhood (not sure if you heard about that). The issues in Dallas have been, are...and will forever be BIGGER than Dak or any other player for that matter.

Mcsports

Reaction score
The Cowboys must have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. They can't block anyone. Did you see the space the Ravens had to run? or the Saints the week before? They were getting 7 or 8 yards before getting touched by a defender. They would run outside for 10 or 11 yards and not get touched until they got a first down. You never see any space like that with the Cowboys on offense.

We should face the facts. Guyton is a raw talent. He may have potential but right now he is struggling.

Zack Martin is not the all-pro Zack Martin we are used to seeing. He is getting bullied by Younger guys.

Steele is not the same as he was before his injury and he looks to be regressing.

Beebe is doing fairly well, but he is a rookie and he is making the occasional rookie mistake too.

Tyler Smith is one guy and cannot do it all. He has not been especially great this year either. I didn't think the OL could be worse than it was last year, but it clearly is.

McCarthy needs to go to a quick passing game spreading the ball around. Dak doesn't have time to survey the field and find the open man. He isn't good at that anyway.
Post of the season. Off line not good enough.
You closed it strong, too. Dak struggles going to 2 or 3 option. He prefers to throw into tight windows or immediately throw a dump-off pass for 1 yard.