Play Calling - First down

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Look....again....I didn't care if he stayed or went. But Jerry and his son make billions to make those decisions, and the decision should NOT have been made at the last minute. The entire Dak thing was mismanaged like NO OTHER QB situation in the NFL. The Broncos invested a lot in Russell Wilson....it was a HUGE mistake. But you know what they did....because my assumption is they have a REAL front office....is they found a way to get off of it and move on. Do you think Jerry would EVER do that? Let me help you out, the answer is no. But if they think the Dak extension was a mistake.....it was a mistake THEY willingly made. And they have to do REAL GM work to move off of it and field a team that is on the right trajectory. That is what every other front office in the NFL does on a daily basis. Except this one. Because the owner and his son and the rest of their "braintrust" are just playing around with their toy....and spending time track the size of players manhood (not sure if you heard about that). The issues in Dallas have been, are...and will forever be BIGGER than Dak or any other player for that matter.
I dont really disagree with any of that, but ultimately the NFL is simply behind in figuring out that these massive QB deals are killing their teams. Denver got out of the Wilson deal, but they sacrificed a massive amount to acquire him and are still on the hook for $85M the next two years which is likely to leave them unable to really compete for anything until 2026 at the earliest. The main issue with this team is Jerry/Stephens flawed philosophy on roster building, I agree, but its fair to actually discuss the issues that have come up from the issues around ownership.

conner01

Reaction score
Not really.

The first penalty was on the Ravens and it bailed the offense out.

The first penalty was on a 3rd and 1, we still got the first down.

The second penalty was a third and 10, and put us in a 3rd and 15.
But they change what you are trying to do. They make you change what you want to call next and they force you to run many more plays just to get back what you’ve lost. 3 penalties on a single drive is unacceptable

Cmac

Reaction score
What are you supposed to do when you are constantly behind and with no indication that the other team can be stopped?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So I wanted to assess this claim that we run on first down, putting us in down and distance. This seems to be another way to absolve Dak. So here is the data from yesterday’s game.

First series:

Pass
Run
Pass (Aubrey money)

Second series:

Run
Run

Third Series:

Pass
Pass
Pass

Situationally, this drive started with 2:41 left in the first quarter. They only ran 1 time until Lamb fumbled. I missed this series, but I would be surprised if they went no-huddle. They were also in a 1st and 19 when Lamb fumbled.

Fourth series:

Run (situationally they were at their own 7)
This was the drive it should have been a safety.

Fifth series:

Pass
Run (third down Dak throws it at Zeke’s feet)

Sixth series:

Pass
Pass, Aubrey money

Seventh series:

Run
Run
Run (face mask on Ravens)
Run (penalty Cowboys)

Eight series:

Pass
Pass
Pass

Ninth series (no huddle garbage time):

Pass
Pass
Pass

Tenth series (onside kick garbage time no huddle):

Run
Pass
Pass

11 series (garbage time no huddle):

Pass
Pass
Pass
Pass

they ran a total of 16 times, two of them scrambles by Dak, 1 by Turpin, most probably an end around. The days clearly suggests this notion they run too much on first down is a crock of garbage, it was at least balanced, and when they actually did run they moved the chains at times. Also they didn’t actually run that bad with Rico, plus he was targeted 5 times in the passing game.

So I wanted to assess this claim that we run on first down, putting us in down and distance. This seems to be another way to absolve Dak. So here is the data from yesterday’s game.

First series:

Pass
Run
Pass (Aubrey money)

Second series:

Run
Run

Third Series:

Pass
Pass
Pass

Situationally, this drive started with 2:41 left in the first quarter. They only ran 1 time until Lamb fumbled. I missed this series, but I would be surprised if they went no-huddle. They were also in a 1st and 19 when Lamb fumbled.

Fourth series:

Run (situationally they were at their own 7)
This was the drive it should have been a safety.

Fifth series:

Pass
Run (third down Dak throws it at Zeke’s feet)

Sixth series:

Pass
Pass, Aubrey money

Seventh series:

Run
Run
Run (face mask on Ravens)
Run (penalty Cowboys)

Eight series:

Pass
Pass
Pass

Ninth series (no huddle garbage time):

Pass
Pass
Pass

Tenth series (onside kick garbage time no huddle):

Run
Pass
Pass

11 series (garbage time no huddle):

Pass
Pass
Pass
Pass

they ran a total of 16 times, two of them scrambles by Dak, 1 by Turpin, most probably an end around. The days clearly suggests this notion they run too much on first down is a crock of garbage, it was at least balanced, and when they actually did run they moved the chains at times. Also they didn’t actually run that bad with Rico, plus he was targeted 5 times in the passing game.
wait....they had success running the ball? we had 51 yards. I don't see success.
its not just running it. its running effective. a 2nd and 8th or 2nd and 9, is a passing down and now you are playing into the defenses hand.

khiladi

Reaction score
But they change what you are trying to do. They make you change what you want to call next and they force you to run many more plays just to get back what you’ve lost. 3 penalties on a single drive is unacceptable
I’m just saying it’s not an accurate reflection of what happened. The ravens extended the drive with their own penalty and our other penalty was on a 3rd and 10, meaning we weren’t moving on the strength of our offense.