Play calling of late (Giants)

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
What the heck is going on with play calling of late , Mac is going into a funk or something else?

Of the 8 offensive position we scored 4 times and rest went about 10-12 yards or less. This is frustrating, we know D can’t stop any but one of the rare stops , we punt the ball not even getting 1 first down .

Where are the offensive genius tendencies?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What the heck is going on with play calling of late , Mac is going into a funk or something else?

Of the 8 offensive position we scored 4 times and rest went about 10-12 yards or less. This is frustrating, we know D can’t stop any but one of the rare stops , we punt the ball not even getting 1 first down .

we have none, are playbook is full of weird curl routes, and runs up the middle. If we get really happy we'll throw in a few short passes before the 1st down marker to ensure we're punting the ball!

Kevinicus

Reaction score
No consistency with the run. It's sprinkled in at random with a random choice of RB. No effort to get a rhythm.

Too many penalties wreck drives.

Play design is bland.

WRs not doing much (plays don't help).

QB sometimes is off.

Jekyll and Hyde offense.

2-3 quality drives per game, kinda crap the rest of the time.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
My biggest complaint is the WR routes look like Kellen Moore designed them.

Either a comeback just short of the first down, or a slant over the middle, or a go route down the sideline, every snap.

They’re not routes that help get WRs open.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No consistency with the run. It's sprinkled in at random with a random choice of RB. No effort to get a rhythm.

Too many penalties wreck drives.

Play design is bland.

WRs not doing much (plays don't help).

QB sometimes is off.

Jekyll and Hyde offense.

2-3 quality drives per game, kinda crap the rest of the time.
the penalties in the red zone, it's like clock work every time we're down there

CowboysRule

Reaction score
This is my biggest complaint. Dowdle will be in for a few plays and then randomly Vaughn or Luepke is back there for a few and then maybe Elliot. Let a guy play and get in his groove. I remember back before everyone did RBBC RB's used to complain about needing a certain amount of carries to really get going.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don’t get the routes they are all hitch and curl routes….why is that? Why do you have Cooks running hitch routes all game? There’s no wonder there’s no separation if we as fans know the route the defense does too.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Is there anyone in this thread certain the players besides Cee Dee and Ferguson can run the routes designed accurately?

I would think that might be a reason for the play calling to stink.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
It’s always been that way. We always relied more on talent than coaching/playcalling.

The guys with expansive route trees, we don’t keep. Got mad at Amari, let Wilson walk, Flourney is glued to the practice squad, the relationship with Beasley soured.

The only other good team that has been traditionally inferior to us with their wr and boring playbook is the ravens.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
This is my biggest complaint. Dowdle will be in for a few plays and then randomly Vaughn or Luepke is back there for a few and then maybe Elliot. Let a guy play and get in his groove. I remember back before everyone did RBBC RB's used to complain about needing a certain amount of carries to really get going.
This is a real thing but it's different for every back. It also depends heavily on the blocking. If the line pancakes everybody up front no back needs time to adjust to that. See Henry the other night. Line opens huge hole, he makes one guy miss and it's off to the races. We have not seen that kind of holes for any of our backs at any point this season. One thing that would help would be a few read option type plays that force the DE's and backers to hold another tick which helps alleviate the fact that our TEs and WRs are below average blockers. But aint nobody wantin to risk a 60 million dollar a year QB on read options unless absolutely necessary. I do think the young bucks up front will be better in December than they are right now so I expect the running game to get incrementally better all year.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

when you have a limited QB like Dak, who doesn't have a strong arm or accuracy, and can't throw anyone open, then you are limited in play calling. its impacting everything on this team including our running game, where teams are not focused on Dak, but the run game. they want the game in Dak's hands.

we should just start Rush, who at this point has a stronger arm than Dak if not the same and save some money. not worth the $60M, just imagine how much we are paying per completion.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
This is a real thing but it's different for every back. It also depends heavily on the blocking. If the line pancakes everybody up front no back needs time to adjust to that. See Henry the other night. Line opens huge hole, he makes one guy miss and it's off to the races. We have not seen that kind of holes for any of our backs at any point this season. One thing that would help would be a few read option type plays that force the DE's and backers to hold another tick which helps alleviate the fact that our TEs and WRs are below average blockers. But aint nobody wantin to risk a 60 million dollar a year QB on read options unless absolutely necessary. I do think the young bucks up front will be better in December than they are right now so I expect the running game to get incrementally better all year.
We tried at least one against the Giants. There may have been others I don't recall, but the one really stuck out. Dak kept it for some reason when the end did not break down the line. RB would have had a gaping hole, Dak got stuffed.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Dak has looked so slow this year the few times I've seen him try to run. I think that's part of the issue with the read options. Dak has never been a super speedy guy, he's just mobile enough. Our offense in general just looks slow out there.