Play calling of late (Giants)

RonnieT24

Reaction score
We tried at least one against the Giants. There may have been others I don't recall, but the one really stuck out. Dak kept it for some reason when the end did not break down the line. RB would have had a gaping hole, Dak got stuffed.
Yeah the announcers mentioned it. If Dak had handed it to Zeke he might have scored. I have no idea what Dak saw to make him decide to keep it on that play.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Dak has looked so slow this year the few times I've seen him try to run. I think that's part of the issue with the read options. Dak has never been a super speedy guy, he's just mobile enough. Our offense in general just looks slow out there.
Yeah Dak clearly spends all the offseason working on his throwing not his running. The run game seems to be predicated on the whole wait for the hole to materialize. Which in most cases it simply never does. It's getting painful to watch our guys slam into a brick wall over and over.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The answer is: We only have one or two play makers on offense.
How is that any different than last season? Gallup was nonexistent most games, so it was basically Lamb and Ferguson.

They actually ran the ball fairly well vs the Giants but didn't stick with it. Prior to the last drive trying to kill the clock Zeke had 2 carries for 13 yards and Dowdle had 4.2 ypc but for some reason they kept running jet sweeps for -2 yards.

Slogriff1

Reaction score
3&1 @ NYG 32. A screen to the FB who is running parallel 4-5 yds behind LOS. Bad pass, no catch, & a holding call on Guyton to add insult to injury. Even if he catches the pass, he likely wouldn’t have made the 1st down. We were in a place to kick a reasonable 50 yd FG and ended up having to kick a 60 yd FG. If don’t use Zeke to make a 3&1, why is he even on the roster?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I don’t get the routes they are all hitch and curl routes….why is that? Why do you have Cooks running hitch routes all game? There’s no wonder there’s no separation if we as fans know the route the defense does too.
i dont even see any rub routes which if your going to run this scheme you need to at least have those down to get 1st downs.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
3&1 @ NYG 32. A screen to the FB who is running parallel 4-5 yds behind LOS. Bad pass, no catch, & a holding call on Guyton to add insult to injury. Even if he catches the pass, he likely wouldn’t have made the 1st down. We were in a place to kick a reasonable 50 yd FG and ended up having to kick a 60 yd FG. If don’t use Zeke to make a 3&1, why is he even on the roster?
Yeah they don't appear to want to run him much even though as you said his first coupla runs against the G-men were very nice. And then we put him in bubble wrap. I'm going back to my initial hunch that Zeke has landed in the coaches' doghouse for some reason. He looked like he was about to git rollin against the Giants and we just completely shut it down. I mean what the hell man. And this insistence on using pretty much anybody BUT Zeke in the red zone and short yardage is a total head scratcher. I guess we're trying not to be too obvious? Point is, if it works 90+% of the time who cares if it's obvious?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
i dont even see any rub routes which if your going to run this scheme you need to at least have those down to get 1st downs.
I think the NFL has shown over the years that rub routes run by the Cowboys will get flagged as OPI. So we have all but removed them from our playbook.

erod

Reaction score
What the heck is going on with play calling of late , Mac is going into a funk or something else?

Of the 8 offensive position we scored 4 times and rest went about 10-12 yards or less. This is frustrating, we know D can’t stop any but one of the rare stops , we punt the ball not even getting 1 first down .

Where are the offensive genius tendencies?
He can only call them. He can't do them for them.