Play Zeke anyway

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That helps no one. This is won or lost in the courts.

I don't think it is because the courts are going to side with the league because of the powers it was granted in the CBA. The unfairness of the decision does not matter from a legal standpoint. Elliott might can seek legal action, but that's as far as this goes.

I think this is like other issues where one owner is going to have to take a stand against the others, if Jones believes that his team is being done wrong, which he seems to clearly believe. Jones did it years ago in marketing his team. I understand that this is different, but the same principle applies in bucking the other owners to do what is best for the Cowboys. And yes, I do believe in the long run that this is what's best for the Cowboys.

I believe Jones would rally his fan base if he did this. I believe a lot of those disenchanted with the direction the NFL is headed would get behind it. Players would certainly get behind it. However, he's got to try to play Zeke in order to accomplish that. Taking his ball and going home would just make fans mad. If the NFL chooses to take its ball and go home, then fans would be mad at them instead.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We'll just have to agree to disagree, my dude.

Fair enough. I know that it is a radical move and isn't likely to happen, but again, it's what I would do if I believed that one of my star players was getting railroaded. Owners did not completely give up their rights when they became part of the league, and I would exercise mine to show that while I'm part of the league, this is my team and I'm going to do what I feel is best for it.

Jones has done that before, even if it was for different reasons.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I'll disagree on that one. If the players have any idea of what's going on, they know that the precedent being said in this Elliott railroad job sets each and every one of them up for the same 'guilty until never proving your innocence' situation. And rolls out the welcome mat for each and every gold digging opportunist to do it to them.

I would say the current relationship with most owners and players is tenuous at best.

Agreed but no work no pay trumps.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I don't think it is because the courts are going to side with the league because of the powers it was granted in the CBA. The unfairness of the decision does not matter from a legal standpoint. Elliott might can seek legal action, but that's as far as this goes.

I think this is like other issues where one owner is going to have to take a stand against the others, if Jones believes that his team is being done wrong, which he seems to clearly believe. Jones did it years ago in marketing his team. I understand that this is different, but the same principle applies in bucking the other owners to do what is best for the Cowboys. And yes, I do believe in the long run that this is what's best for the Cowboys.

I believe Jones would rally his fan base if he did this. I believe a lot of those disenchanted with the direction the NFL is headed would get behind it. Players would certainly get behind it. However, he's got to try to play Zeke in order to accomplish that. Taking his ball and going home would just make fans mad. If the NFL chooses to take its ball and go home, then fans would be mad at them instead.

Jones won't cripple the team over this.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
How about Jerry grabs a solid pair and goes through with real repurcussions for Goodell and the rest of the bums in league office (remember Jerry is challenging the salaries and benefits of all of them, not just Goodell)....

He should file an anti trust lawsuit