Player Review: Connor McGovern vs Football Team

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No wows but no yucks.

He had a solid game.

Good foot quickness.

He showed good agility on pulls to hit moving "targets".

Good anchor in pass protection.

Not much push against DL in run blocking.

I didn't really see any mental fails.

Good job picking up and passing off blitzing/stunting pass rushers.

It would be good if he could sustain run blocks for just an extra split second.

His angles on run blocking were generally good but he needs some fine tuning in that area.

Note:
- Despite playing both OC and OG in college, I think the coaches see him as OG only.
- His snaps, especially shotgun in college were unconventional.

Summary:
- Good pass pro anchor but needs to get stronger for run blocking.

CowboyRoy and Rowdy are the same person.
- Just checking to see if Roy reads this far before he responds...

fivetwos

Reaction score
No wows but no yucks.

He had a solid game.

Good foot quickness.

His angles on run blocking were generally good but he needs some fine tuning in that area.

Note:
- Despite playing both OC and OG in college, I think the coaches see him as OG only.

Summary:

Against as good of a DLine as you'll see also.

Happy about foot quickness. Sounds like a solid NFL starter.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
No wows but no yucks.

He had a solid game.

Good foot quickness.

Note:

Summary:

Comparing the two Connor's, I know McGovern's sample size isn't big, who do you think is the better long-term fit for the left guard position? Heard prior to the season Williams was the more athletic, fit better in the zbs, where McGovern was stronger and fit better in Columbo's man blocking system.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Comparing the two Connor's, I know McGovern's sample size isn't big, who do you think is the better long-term fit for the left guard position? Heard prior to the season Williams was the more athletic, fit better in the zbs, where McGovern was stronger and fit better in Columbo's man blocking system.

Both are have very good athleticism and both are likely best in the ZBS.

Neither is a mauler.

McGovern has a better anchor is pass pro but Williams is better against quickness at this point.

Williams is more effective in run blocking at this point but McGovern will likely close that gap with another year in the NFL (assuming he stays healthy and can have a full off-season of working out).

The ZBS requires more practice time for the OL to be in sync which has been very difficult this season.

If Connor, Connor and Biadiaz were competing at OG, I think the Connors beat out Biadiaz.

At OC, McGovern in college snapped the ball opposite of the standard method.
- Normally OCs hold the ball with a grip similar to a QB.
- McGovern (in college) held the ball like a punter.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Neither is a mauler.

McGovern has a better anchor is pass pro but Williams is better against quickness at this point.

Williams is more effective in run blocking at this point but McGovern will likely close that gap with another year in the NFL (assuming he stays healthy and can have a full off-season of working out).

The ZBS requires more practice time for the OL to be in sync which has been very difficult this season.

If Connor, Connor and Biadiaz were competing at OG, I think the Connors beat out Biadiaz.

-I agree, think team views McGovern as a Guard only prospect. Actually heard during camp, Williams took some reps at Center.
-Team should be fine within the interior barring injuries next season with 3 starting caliber players. Looney probably won't return.
-Think the coaches were hesitant to play McGovern next to a rookie, due to him being behind on the mental side of the position.
-I don't foresee the team moving Connor Williams to Tackle next yr if he loses out to McGovern. Would become swing, interior backup
-Would like to see a developmental Tackle drafted this yr, who could also have the ability to kick inside early in his career.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No wows but no yucks.

He had a solid game.

Good foot quickness.

Note:

Summary:

So based on your positive meter, this is bad news for McGovern. Personally I think he will be better than Williams. Too early to tell how good.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Summary:

Thanks for doing the analysis. I haven't watched this tape again but against the Vikings it seemed like McGovern had simple assignments, I'm still not crossing over to say he is ready for a starting spot because of pass protection and blitz reads. He certainly has the physical tools though and could still put on a lot of good weight to have even more power in the running game.

I don't see him anywhere but OG either and see him as good competition to Williams at that spot. With a full offseason in the film room and weight room he could be a good player though.

Bigdog

Reaction score
No wows but no yucks.

He had a solid game.

Good foot quickness.

Note:

Summary:

You know I had a boss who would do that in her emails. She wanted to make sure we read the whole email. Oh and thanks for doing this analysis. Appreciate it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Neither is a mauler.

This offseason, McGovern, Biadasz, and Williams all need to crosstrain: Williams at T, McGovern at C, Biadasz at G.

If McGovern's grip is a problem, he can spend all offseason fixing it. McGovern should be competing with Biadasz for C, and Williams at LG.

I'd work the oline for a jumbo TE and maybe a FB for short yardage packages too. With the NFL forcing an extra olineman on gameday, we should work to get some extra mileage out of that active spot and our extra starting quality olineman.

We're looking really deep next year on the oline, and with guys on their rookie contracts.

Pro Football Reference has combine numbers. I never noticed that before.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/2019-combine.htm

quickccc

Reaction score
Number one thing is having McGovern healthy and gaining very valuable game experience.
Sure he hasn't had the chance to get into an NFL strength program that he still really needs
and lets face it this is really McGovern rookie playing year.
And may be we had those kind of ole school coaches that don't like to play rookies in the trenches early on.

- But with McGovern they wouldn't let him get on field... even if a shoe fell loose on a starter. for one play.
i think McGovern is starting now out of injury emergency,.. than is coaches really liking his skill set enough to have to have him him in there.

- He's not dominant but he's been decent - he's not being overwhelmed.
And given that he's going against the likes of Ron Payne and Jon Allen, i give McGovern kudos for holding his own for most part.

- C Williams didnt have Off-program his rookie year either and he still started his rookie year at OG.
But frankly i haven't seen the definite improvement than what he was at the end of his rookie year 3 years ago.
i think Williams will always be what he is now as an OG.
People would keep pointing towards Wiliams core strength, but he has more issues with techniques than anchor strength, imo.
He over lunges, ducks his head down when extending, and he falls off too many blocks.
i don't think he's that solid, i think he's just decent enough untl we can get much better.
But it was vital that we find out what McGovern can do .... if he had been red shirted, we basically wouldve immediately looking for a new OG early.