Playlists (Again)

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
So my Old Man asked me to make him a few CDs. He gave me suggestions of songs, and I grouped it into 3 playlists - Rock, Country and old school R&B/Funk/Soul.

With the latter two, I just had him give me songs, and I arranged them in the best order that I could, although I knew very few.

But with the rock list, he gave me suggestions, but because our styles are very close (as far as classic rock), I added several and made a list. It is as follows (I included the Righteous Bros on this list, though I had to consider very hard if they were classic rock. In the end, I just figured that even if they aren't, the certainly are not the other two).

This list is very indicitive of the type of music I enjoy, as far as classic rock goes. I left off 3 important bands to me, Journey, Styx and Boston, only because we both have the exact same albums by each band.

This is also the order in which the songs appear. I don't care if you disagree - I like the flow.

1. The Spirit of Radio Rush
2. Reelin' in the Years Steely Dan
3. I've Seen All Good People Yes
4. Southern Cross Crosby, Stills and Nash
5. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band The Beatles
6. Owner of a Lonely Heart Yes
7. Baba O'Riley The Who
8. Monday Morning Fleetwood Mac
9. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' The Righteous Brothers
10. You're My Soul and Inspiration The Righteous Brothers
11. Unchained Melody The Righteous Brothers
12. In Too Deep Genesis
13. Invisible Touch Genesis
14. Oh Sherrie Steve Perry
15. Rock You Like a Hurricane Scorpions
16. Once in a Lifetime Talking Heads
17. Seven Bridges Road The Eagles
18. Stranglehold Ted Nugent

In thinking more about it, I think it might of been more appropriate to put the Righteous Bros. in the soul CD. But I have already made the burns...so oh well.

Further - I don't care what you say about Steve Perry. He had a good voice.

I know there are things missing - Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, and many others, but I could only put so much on a CD....

Please feel free to post a playlist.

NOTE - DO NOT POST YOUR MUSICAL LIBRARY. A PLAYLIST SHOULD BE ABOUT THE SIZE OF A CD - NO MORE THAN 20 SONGS. This should be a nice little thread to hold us at least a few days until TC.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Fortunate Son- John Fogerty
Born On the Bayou- John Fogerty
Beautiful Loser- Bob Seger
Badlands- B Springsteen
Thunder Road- B Springsteen
Land of Hope & Dreams- B Springsteen
Thundercrack- B Springsteen
Time Passages- Al Stewart
Wind Cries Mary- Jimi Hendrix
Blue Sky- Allman Brothers
What's Going On- Marvin Gaye
Headknocker- Foreigner
All That You Dream- Little Feat
Willin'- Little Feat
End of the Innocence- Don Henly
Go Rest High On The Mountain- Vince Gill
Only the Lonely- Roy Orbinson
Jealous Guy- Roxy Music
Layla- Derrick & the Dominos
Let It Be- Beatles

blindzebra

Reaction score
I did some burning this week as well.

I did a Commodores/Earth, Wind and Fire mix. They were the Beatles/Elvis, dog lover/cat lover question when I was a teen. I loved them both.

Three Dog Night. A great band that gets over looked.

I did a country rock mix with Skynard, Allman Brothers, Charlie Daniels, 38 Special, Eagles, with a couple of Garth Brooks songs.

One weird mix of Springsteen, Queen, Billy Joel, Elton John and Boz Scaggs.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
So my Old Man asked me to make him a few CDs. He gave me suggestions of songs, and I grouped it into 3 playlists - Rock, Country and old school R&B/Funk/Soul.

With the latter two, I just had him give me songs, and I arranged them in the best order that I could, although I knew very few.

But with the rock list, he gave me suggestions, but because our styles are very close (as far as classic rock), I added several and made a list. It is as follows (I included the Righteous Bros on this list, though I had to consider very hard if they were classic rock. In the end, I just figured that even if they aren't, the certainly are not the other two).

This list is very indicitive of the type of music I enjoy, as far as classic rock goes. I left off 3 important bands to me, Journey, Styx and Boston, only because we both have the exact same albums by each band.

This is also the order in which the songs appear. I don't care if you disagree - I like the flow.

1. The Spirit of Radio Rush
2. Reelin' in the Years Steely Dan
3. I've Seen All Good People Yes
4. Southern Cross Crosby, Stills and Nash
5. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band The Beatles
6. Owner of a Lonely Heart Yes
7. Baba O'Riley The Who
8. Monday Morning Fleetwood Mac
9. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' The Righteous Brothers
10. You're My Soul and Inspiration The Righteous Brothers
11. Unchained Melody The Righteous Brothers
12. In Too Deep Genesis
13. Invisible Touch Genesis
14. Oh Sherrie Steve Perry
16. Once in a Lifetime Talking Heads
17. Seven Bridges Road The Eagles
18. Stranglehold Ted Nugent

In thinking more about it, I think it might of been more appropriate to put the Righteous Bros. in the soul CD. But I have already made the burns...so oh well.

Further - I don't care what you say about Steve Perry. He had a good voice.

I know there are things missing - Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, and many others, but I could only put so much on a CD....

Please feel free to post a playlist.

NOTE - DO NOT POST YOUR MUSICAL LIBRARY. A PLAYLIST SHOULD BE ABOUT THE SIZE OF A CD - NO MORE THAN 20 SONGS. This should be a nice little thread to hold us at least a few days until TC.

Well my 7 year old boy loves this song you got his vote on that one

I have it on a mixed CD burn in my truck :p:
Like the Genisis songs I would drop song 7 in favor of Granfunk Railroad Some Kind of Wonderful but thats me

I see you have the Who; man my favorite Who song is My Generation but that would not fit with the other selections

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Didja know it was Duane Allman who came up with the guitar licks in Layla?

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
For the purposes of this exercise, I'm limiting myself to one song per artist mentioned...

Turn The Page, Bob Seger... though this is gonna be a rock and roll playlist, you still have to have some ballads on it, and I just love the saxophone work on this one...

Dixie Chicken, Little Feat... this isn't their hardest rocking song, but I like the energy of it, and it's pretty funny...

Further On Up The Road, Bruce Springsteen... from his more recent album "Rising", this is a GREAT rock and roll song...

The Runway, Grass Roots... a blues-edged rock song from an underappreciated group...

I Can't Make You Love Me, Bonnie Raitt... one of the most unusual and prettiest songs in the "lost love" genre, another ballad...

Your Mama Don't Dance, Loggins & Messina... that bouncy rhythm is just infectious... I'm glad they're gettin' back together for a tour this summer, hope it leads to them going back into the recording studio...

Cocaine, Eric Clapton... that driving guitar line IS rock...

Running On Empty, Jackson Browne... that was THE party album one summer when I was in my late 20s...

Desperado/Doolin-Dalton, Eagles... the reprise of those two songs at the end of the Desperado album, an interesting fusion of the two with some of the sweetest, most mournful dobro work I've ever heard...

Long Haired Country Boy, Charlie Daniels... that song always cracks me up...

Queen Of The Silver Dollar, Doctor Hook... kind of country rock...

American Pie, Don McLean... the day the music died...

Walkin' Back To Georgia, Jim Croce... I love to focus on Maury Muehlheisen's guitar work on that one... I almost chose Lover's Cross instead, that's one of my favorite songs to sing...

Language of Love, Dan Fogelburg... Dan is just a brilliant musician, and this song had an edge to it...

Amazing Grace, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band... most of y'all have probably never heard this one, an instrumental duet on acoustic guitar that is really, really pretty...

Get Back, Beatles... had to include one from them, and this is their best pure rock song, IMO...

God's Own Drunk, Jimmy Buffett... just howlingly funny...

A Change Is Gonna Come, Sam Cooke... no true rock and roll playlist would be complete without at least a nod to Motown...

Tears Of A Clown, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles... I just love Smokey's voice...

Dream A Little Dream Of Me, Mama Cass Elliott... again, a singer's singer...

I know I'm gonna think of any number of songs that should have made this list but didn't after I post this, but this top 20 would keep me quite entertained...

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
jackrussell said:
Didja know it was Duane Allman who came up with the guitar licks in Layla?

Allman had to be one of the greatest guitar players I have ever heard. Some amazing licks and inovative as well.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
I did some burning this week as well.

I did a Commodores/Earth, Wind and Fire mix. They were the Beatles/Elvis, dog lover/cat lover question when I was a teen. I loved them both.

Three Dog Night. A great band that gets over looked.

I did a country rock mix with Skynard, Allman Brothers, Charlie Daniels, 38 Special, Eagles, with a couple of Garth Brooks songs.

One weird mix of Springsteen, Queen, Billy Joel, Elton John and Boz Scaggs.

i love their abbreviated cover of The Band's "Chest Fever" on the "One" album. those cats could definitely sing. a great vocals band.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
As I mentioned in another thread earlier, I have been using Limewire these last few days to search out and download some of the great songs from my past... then I converted all those mp3s to wavs that will play on something other than my PC (don't have an mp3 player), using a free progam called JetAudio...

Today, I burned my first disc, 17 blasts from my past with a heavy folk rock flavor... here's the playlist, in the order it appears on the CD:

Watching The River Run-- Loggins & Messina

Black Velvet (can't remember the girl who sang this one, but it is not the Alannah Myles version)

Modern Day Romance-- Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Cover Of The Rolling Stone-- Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show

Doctor, My Eyes-- Jackson Browne

Speed Of The Sound Of Loneliness-- Nanci Griffith, with John Prine

Total Eclipse Of The Heart-- Bonnie Tyler, with Meat Loaf

Sweet Baby James-- James Taylor

Dock Of The Bay-- Otis Redding

Long Haired Country Boy-- Charlie Daniels Band

If You Could Read My Mind-- Gordon Lightfoot

Doolin-Dalton-- Eagles

Rock Me On The Water-- Jackson Browne

Banana Republics-- Jimmy Buffett

The Road-- Jackson Browne (I was at the concert where he recorded this one)

Hot Rod Lincoln-- Asleep At The Wheel

Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word-- Elton John

This mix is long on acoustic guitar driven songs, the kind of stuff that shaped my musical tastes... next up, I have another mix of favorites, then I contemplate a Country-Western mix that will feature a lot of Patsy Cline, a lot of Travis Tritt, some Willie Nelson, even some of the old, original outlaws like Hoyt Axton and Jerry Jeff Walker...

Then, I've put together a folder of Motown stuff that will feature Sam Cooke and Smokey Robinson, along with some white boys (and girls) like The Commitments and the Blues Brothers covering some of the Motown classics...

And it occurred to me on the ride to work tonight that I might have enough blues-oriented songs downloaded to give me a nice blues mix...

I'm havin' some fun right now... :D

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
1. Black Dog LZ
2. Sgt Peppers LHCB Beatles
3. Light My Fire JM/Doors
4. Me and Bobby McGhee JJoplin
5. Kashmir LZ
6. Sweet Emotion Aerosmith
7. Fire Down Below BoB Seger(better voice than wimpy steve perry, lol)
8. VooDoo Chile Jimi
9. Waterloo Sunset Kinks
10. Feel Like Making Love Bad Company
11. Paranoid Black Sabbath
12. Hells Bells ACDC
13. Purple Haze Jimi
14. Sympathy for the Devil Rolling Stones
15. Satisfaction RS

Reaction score
I'm gonna go a different direction... I love classic rock, but looks like ya'll got that covered... Hard rock with a mellow tinge..

1. Fear Factory - Decent
2. Static X - Cold
3. Machine Head - Silver
4. Bush - Letting the Cables Sleep
5. Breaking Benjamin - So Cold
6. Down - Ghosts Along the Mississippi
7. Deftones - Korea
8. Zakk Wylde - Road Back Home
9. Pantera - Cemetary Gates (go classic)
10. Mushroom Head - Sun Doesn't Rise
11. Black Sabbath - Changes ('nother classic)
12. Lacuna Coil - Heaven's a Lie
13. Nine Inch Nails - La Mer
14. Tool - The Grudge
15. Coal Chamber - Shock the Monkey
16. Drain STH - Right Through You

Trophy#6

Reaction score
My current iPod On-The-Go playlist at the moment...

"Seven Nation Army" - The White Stripes
"Blue Orchid" - The White Stripes
"Forever For Her (It's Over For Me)" - The White Stripes
"The Ghost Of You" - My Chemical Romance
"I'm Not Ok (I Promise)" - My Chemical Romance
"Helena" - My Chemical Romance
"Purple Haze" - Hendrix
"I'm A Liar (And That's The Truth)" - Motley Crue
"Sick Love Song" - Motley Crue
"In Your Honor" - Foo Fighters
"American Idiot" - Green Day
"Jesus Of Suburbia" - Green Day