Playoff Success or Failure Is Pretty Simple

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If you want to win a SB or even to play in one, you have to have answers for what your opponent or mother nature or situational football throws at you in the postseason when 1 loss ends your season.

Offense
  • Opponent has a stout run defense but vulnerable secondary or you fall behind significantly, or you face one of the top defenses and must be balanced so they can’t load up to take away what you do well, or you lose your best RB to injury, you must be able to pass consistently.
  • Opponent has a strong secondary but vulnerable front 7, the field is sloppy, you are on the road with a loud crowd, your best receiver is injured, it’s raining or snowing, opponent is blitzing a lot or playing man most downs with 2 safeties over the top, or you are pinned down at your end or in the red zone, or you need to burn the clock at the end of either half, or you face one of the top defenses and must be balanced so they can’t load up to take away what you do well, or the game takes a nasty turn and you need to slow things down and regroup, you must be able to run the ball consistently and use your RB in the pass game, not just as an extra blocker.
Defense
  • Opponent has a good run game or a stud power back and a great play action game or a suspect QB, or has shown the discipline to run down after down when successful, or an injury to a key receiver, or just a limited offense and wants to keep the game close, or or has the lead in the fourth quarter, or the weather conditions are bad, you must be able to stop the run with your front 6-7, especially the interior.
  • Opponent, like Dallas this year, lives by the pass and can get hot with it, or the pass game is simply their strength, you still must be stout up the middle and shut down the run, making them one dimensional…never give them something extra that also makes play-action effective. Shut down the run game without using safeties and pulling them out of coverage.
  • Pass rush? When you have speed on the outside with an effective pass rush, being stout up the middle is even better because you push the pocket and move the QB off his spot towards your speed guys while not allowing the QB to step up in the pocket, not allowing the QB to escape the pocket because the DTs are not undersized guys trying to get to the QB and losing their lanes.
Bottom Line

This Cowboys team has talent at many spots, but on offense, this team cannot run the ball with any consistency. Is it mainly because we are not powerful at center? Is it because we don’t have an inside power grinder who can churn out 3 yard carries when the opponent knows we are going to run? Is it scheme? I think Mike really wants to run the football, but the reality is that Dallas was for the most part a one dimensional team, even against weak opponents. Defenses didn’t fear our run game. We had no power game and never had a RB break 100 yards.

All the good teams ran at will on our defense. Why did we beat the Lions? It wasn’t the reporting eligible penalty; it was because they forgot they were a running team against a defense that can’t handle it.

Think what you want about the owner, the coaches, the QB. This team will never reach a SB until they can pose a serious threat running the ball and develop strength up the middle of the defense with LBs who can stop the run game. In a playoff game against a good team, if you cannot run effectively, 1 sack, 1 inc pass, 1 dropped ball, 1 missed block, 1 tipped ball can be the end of a drive and the difference between points and punting. When you are one dimensional on offense, living by the passing game, and one dimensional on defense, hanging your hat on rushing the QB and forcing turnovers, that is NOT a recipe for success in the playoffs when you are not only facing well-rounded, talented teams, but when so many situations can arise where you must be able to run the ball and stop the run for many different reasons.

In my opinion, all other issues aside, this team is not built correctly for success in the playoffs.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Every team has holes/weaknesses.

It’s a matter of exploiting those of your opponent while covering your own.

The retreads and zero experience guys that make Jerry “comfortable” have not been very good at that.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Very well said...but of course this post does not fit the narrative.

Mikexike

Reaction score
We are a finesse team, We will not win unless its mahomes back there when we meet these well built teams.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Every team has holes/weaknesses.

It’s a matter of exploiting those of your opponent while covering your own.

The retreads and zero experience guys that make Jerry “comfortable” have not been very good at that.
I agree, but how does one cover for bad DT play and no LBs? That was the roster going into the season, and there is absolutely nothing worse than not stopping the run. I’d trade both of our star CBs for Baltimore’s DTs and LBs. when your secondary is bad, they sometimes make plays, the QB misses, the receiver drops or runs wrong route, the weather helps your secondary, but when you can hand the ball to a RB and know he’s going to pick up 3-4 yards on most Carrie’s against good teams, that’s easy.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I agree, but how does one cover for bad DT play and no LBs? That was the roster going into the season, and there is absolutely nothing worse than not stopping the run. I’d trade both of our star CBs for Baltimore’s DTs and LBs. when your secondary is bad, they sometimes make plays, the QB misses, the receiver drops or runs wrong route, the weather helps your secondary, but when you can hand the ball to a RB and know he’s going to pick up 3-4 yards on most Carrie’s against good teams, that’s easy.
I’m just saying we routinely get outcoached, while we rarely, if ever do the same to other good teams.

Our wins are generally over inferior teams or some luck, and the latter is rare.

At this point we are pretty much going to get smashed by any Shanahan tree coaches, which is beginning to cover a bunch of ground.

The league evolves. Jerry is way behind.

There’s a reason 82 year olds no longer work in our society but at least we have his kid who treats player salaries as if they are coming directly out of the mouths of his kids.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In my opinion, all other issues aside, this team is not built correctly for success in the playoffs.
It's not, but it's just a few steps that can make it. Fix the run game, stop the run, stop getting out coached, fix the discipline problem.

Accomplish those 4 things, the Cowboys will be the best team in the league and ready to win a super bowl.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The key is complimentary football. See we got it backwards. We complimented our poor run D, by not having DT's or LB's.

That is the exact opposite of what needs to be done. Take a look at the Niners and Ravens roster. They both have Pro Bowl DT's and LB's.

Imagine that for a moment.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It's not, but it's just a few steps that can make it. Fix the run game, stop the run, stop getting out coached, fix the discipline problem.

Accomplish those 4 things, the Cowboys will be the best team in the league and ready to win a super bowl.
Only way to do that whether we like it or not is to make some significant trades. Most of you are against trading our talent away. We don't have a lot of draft picks few and are $20M over the cap.

So you might as well be like Jeruh and say we like our players.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Bad decisions. Went thin at DT and LB. Kept Micah at DE instead of a LB/DE mix.
Bad bets. Whiffed on Mazi. LVE injured again.