Image: Playoff Wins Since 2000 For Every Team

Nav22

Reaction score
Texans better than the Cowboys this era? Probably not. But neither have had much playoff success. I’ll guess we’ve had more appearances.

And I’d agree we’ve been average this era. Mediocre. This stat didn’t draw a conclusion or opinion. Simply provides the data .

We can draw our own conclusions from it. Mine would be we haven’t had much success in the playoffs this era. What would your conclusion be?
Your take is fair.

I just get bored with the lazy conclusions of “well only a few teams have only won 3 playoff games since XXXX so therefore we’re one of the very worst teams since XXXX”.

I agree that we’ve been an average team overall this century. Not a bottom-feeder.

Still don’t care about “playoff wins”. If you earn a 1st round bye and lose your 1st playoff game, you got just as far as a Wild Card team that won 1 playoff game.

Nav22

Reaction score
Dallas is a .500 team in this data range. We had three straight 5-11 seasons. 2015 was terrible. Last year was terrible. Sure, we have some seasons where we do great and get 12 wins. And we have 3 straight seasons of 8-8 to start the Garrett tenure. All of that equals out the mediocre. We aren't bad but we are nowhere near great. Success is not measured in the regular season. It's what you do in the playoffs. Both Dallas and Houston spin their wheels in mud and go nowhere in the end. Sure they might gain some traction and get out just a little and then sink right back down.

We are one of only 3 teams in the NFC to not make the NFC championship game in this timeframe, too. The others being Washington and Detroit. Not company you want to be in.

You seem to be making a lot of excuses for the mediocrity this franchise has turned into. Who cares about the history of the franchise in terms of being relevant right now. The 90s keeps getting further and further away. You can hang onto those times if you want but they mean nothing right now.

And we are at the bottom of the league in the last 2 decades when it comes to playoff success. There is no if ands or buts about that. It's fact.
Sorry to derail your thread. I wasn’t making excuses, and I’m starting to see that it’s splitting hairs to complain about things that don’t make much of a difference.

We haven’t won a Super Bowl since 1995 and that’s a problem. I miss those days. I was 10 years old then, 36 now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Your take is fair.

I just get bored with the lazy conclusions of “well only a few teams have only won 3 playoff games since XXXX so therefore we’re one of the very worst teams since XXXX”.

I agree that we’ve been an average team overall this century. Not a bottom-feeder.

Still don’t care about “playoff wins”. If you earn a 1st round bye and lose your 1st playoff game, you got just as far as a Wild Card team that won 1 playoff game.
In order to reach the ultimate goal of a Super Bowl it’s usually coincided with a consistent contender probably coupled with playoff wins.

And why in all of our championship eras we accumulated playoff wins.

When we look at the teams with the most playoff wins this era it reflects those teams who were most consistent SB contenders which arguably is a sound measuring stick.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Sad.

resize.jpg
How could this be possible? Every year I hear idiots chanting how the Cowboys are the team to beat and they have as good a chance as anyone else to make it to the SB. I'm told Daks as good as Wilson, Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Your take is fair.

I think Dallas has been middle of the pack over the last 20 years.
Haven't looked up the overall wins/losses, but I'm guessing it puts us in the middle....say 13-17 range.

I'm also not making excuses, but you're right about byes vs wild card.
Then again, those two home losses were big missed opportunities.

Also, again no excuse, but Dallas has lost 4 playoff games in that span the closing minutes.
Two of them required league-wide rules changes (1-home team slipping a shiny new ball to visiting team kicking team, and 2-the catch rule)

Reid1boys

Reaction score
In order to reach the ultimate goal of a Super Bowl it’s usually coincided with a consistent contender probably coupled with playoff wins.

And why in all of our championship eras we accumulated playoff wins.

When we look at the teams with the most playoff wins this era it reflects those teams who were most consistent SB contenders which arguably is a sound measuring stick.

and when the Rams won with Warner they had consistent success leading up to that SB?
How bout the Giants with BOTH of Eli's SB wins?
How bout those Bucs from last year? How much success had they had leading up to their win?
Before the bucs it was the Chiefs. Had they had consistent success?
2 years before the Chiefs it was the Eagles .... were those Eagles ripe with recent success?
The seasons prior to Seattle's SB win they finished 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 3rd in their division. Not exactly a bunch of consistent success.

Then start using Brady's teams, Big Bens, Brees, Peyton Mannings.... and yep, sustained success,

Sorry, but your examples rely FAR too much on the NFL of the 70s, 80s and 90s. Come join the rest of us in the Salary cap era.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
and when the Rams won with Warner they had consistent success leading up to that SB?
How bout those Bucs from last year? How much success had they had leading up to their win?
2 years before the Chiefs it was the Eagles .... were those Eagles ripe with recent success?
The seasons prior to Seattle's SB win they finished 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 3rd in their division. Not exactly a bunch of consistent success.

Then start using Brady's teams, Big Bens, Brees, Peyton Mannings.... and yep, sustained success,

Sorry, but your examples rely FAR too much on the NFL of the 70s, 80s and 90s. Come join the rest of us in the Salary cap era.
You’re right .

But Generally the top teams (top 5) with playoff wins this era have been consistent contenders. Sorry I wasn’t more specific. There’s always exceptions .

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is probably fairly accurate. We really don’t know what all he does in detail as a GM but make the final decisions. But we can speculate it’s not in the depth that a normal GM takes like watching film for example.

He’s just too involved with other aspects of the franchise to dedicate the 70+ hours a week a normal GM dedicates to player evaluation. But he still makes all of the appearances , interviews and official spokesman for the team. And insist on remaining where the buck stops.

It’s really a sad state of affairs. We are so handicapped from a football perspective with his stranglehold on operations. It’s really a credit to those under him that we have been able to assemble a staff and enough talent to remain like in his words” interesting and relative “ .

We’ve witnessed what we could be when he totally delegates decisions to someone more qualified and willing to dedicate all of their time and passion . But winning back to back Super Bowls wasn’t enough if it means not being the face of his franchise and receiving the credit.

But he’s an owner who wants the celebrity status playing out his fantasy as a football guy so we are stuck with him until probably his final breathe all at our expense. It can’t end soon enough.

This isn’t directed at you as I know you agree but your thought sparked this response. Thanks
Yep……I was just trying give you comfort that I finally think he is starting to go,

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No I would’ve drafted one of the top 4 QBs in this class because QBs are becoming easier to find.
Easier eh? Definitely not easier,

You just got done saying a few days ago you would have cut dak and drafted fields.

Blackspider214

Reaction score

Eagles went to 4 straight NFC title games. Another one in 2008. A Super Bowl in 2004. Their sustained success in this data range trumps ours by infinity.

Tampa also added Brady? Did we? Nope.
KC has Mahomes paired with one of the best offensive minds we have seen. Do we? Nope.

Seattle built one of the best defenses modern football has seen? We on the other hand have one of the worst defenses year after year. Seattle was close to the NFC title with Russell Wilson as a rookie. But Atlanta came back and won that game.

Don't act like those teams are anything like ours.

The only team I will give you that came really out of nowhere was the Eagles in 2017.

kskboys

Reaction score
I used the Texans as an example to display the silliness of the “playoff wins” stat.

Do YOU think they’ve been better than the Cowboys since 2002?

Let’s see how much weight YOU put in this stat.

We’ve won 52% of our games since 2000, so I’d say we’ve been a middling, mediocre team overall since 2000. Average.

I wouldn’t call us one of the worst teams in football since 2000.

This “playoff wins” stat places us near the bottom of the league since 2000. I personally don’t think that’s accurate.
It is.

You are what your record says you are.

kskboys

Reaction score
Eagles went to 4 straight NFC title games. Another one in 2008. A Super Bowl in 2004. Their sustained success in this data range trumps ours by infinity.

KC has Mahomes paired with one of the best offensive minds we have seen. Do we? Nope.

Seattle built one of the best defenses modern football has seen? We on the other hand have one of the worst defenses year after year. Seattle was close to the NFC title with Russell Wilson as a rookie. But Atlanta came back and won that game.

The only team I will give you that came really out of nowhere was the Eagles in 2017.
And even the Eagles focused on D.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
And even the Eagles focused on D.

They also had a front office who made moves. They knew the window to win a ring is pretty small unless you have someone like Brady. They went all in. Making moves in the offseason and during the season. Had the usual fans on here laughing about how they gave up so much and would hurt them down the line. But you actually have to spend money to get good players. Bargain shopping for leftovers like we do every year yields nothing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yep

What Reid is missing is once they begun becoming consistent contenders they were having more success in the playoffs.

He’s focusing on they weren’t contenders until they became contenders. Which is true. I’m not really sure what his point is.

There’s always exceptions to the rule and a team that comes out of nowhere but in those cases they aren’t consistent contenders and don’t have as much success over time in the playoffs.