*Please Help* - Workout Ideas

Number82

No Helmet; No Problem
Reaction score
Quick backstory: I used to be in great shape until I tore my ACL in June playing soccer. I played soccer and basketball twice a week each and worked out daily (I was actually in month two of P90X). I still haven't had surgery - probably not for another month or two (long story). I was about 175lbs (at 5'11") when I tore it. I'm now up to 192lbs. I've never weighed more than 185 in my life before this.

Basically, I need some workouts to do that won't put extra pressure on my knee. I need to get in some kind of shape, because I can't be letting myself get this fat. It doesn't look good and is just plain unhealthy.

I know there's alot of people who post on here who might be able to help and give me an idea or two.

Thanks.

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
before the experts chime in, I'll just say the most important part of losing weight is your diet - are you watching what you eat?

kapolani

Reaction score
Can you swim?

Pretty good workout. Work your way up to a mile swim and you should be good to go.

I've had all kinds of surgeries because of the military and sports.

PM if you want to chat about some ideas.

kapolani

Reaction score
SupermanXx;3702593 said:
before the experts chime in, I'll just say the most important part of losing weight is your diet - are you watching what you eat?

If he gained that much injured he's pounding the beers and eating Funyuns.

:D

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
kapolani;3702594 said:
Can you swim?

Pretty good workout. Work your way up to a mile swim and you should be good to go.

I would suggest swimming too. There's a lot of exercises that don't require much knee movement, just legs/upper body (i.e. the butterfly).

Inner-tube water polo also is great exercise while you are sitting on an innertube.

Kayaking/canoeing also do not have much leg work.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
SupermanXx;3702593 said:

kapolani;3702594 said:
Can you swim?

Thats the 2 things I would reccomend and when SupermanXx was talking about being in before the expert I was the expert he was talking about.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Watch your diet, is the most important, then swimming would be good.

You could get some resistence bands, as well, and do upper body resistance workouts with those, as well, and that would be absolutely no impact on your knees.

And there would be no worry of picking up weights, on a bad knee, that way.

The resistence workouts would keep your heart rate up and allow you to continue to burn calories till you can get your knee fixed.

Number82

No Helmet; No Problem
Reaction score
SupermanXx;3702593 said:

That's part of the problem. I used to eat semi-healthy while I was working out (cheat once or twice a week), but usually eat well. That's fine when I'm working out, but when I'm not, I agree it's not helping.

kapolani;3702594 said:
Can you swim?

Yes, I can swim. I also sent you a PM.
nyc;3702623 said:
Pilates or Yoga I would suggest since it can be low impact.

I don't know much about yoga other than what's in my P90X workouts and those are pretty high intensity pressure/bending on the knees.

VietCowboy;3702810 said:
I would suggest swimming too. There's a lot of exercises that don't require much knee movement, just legs/upper body (i.e. the butterfly).

Inner-tube water polo also is great exercise while you are sitting on an innertube.

Kayaking/canoeing also do not have much leg work.

I like the idea, although, it's November and I live in Jersey. Probably gonna not be able to do that locally soon.

CATCH17;3702889 said:
Thats the 2 things I would reccomend and when SupermanXx was talking about being in before the expert I was the expert he was talking about.

I can swim, but getting to a pool isn't that easy. The only place with a pool I know of is my old college gym (alumni are free) which is a half hour away from my house and 45 minutes to an hour away from my job. Basically, I could get there, but not more than twice a week.

Also, what do I eat. I used to be all high protein, and low to medium carbs depending on my workout for the day. If I'm working out less do I need to eat different things?

BraveHeartFan;3703131 said:
Watch your diet, is the most important, then swimming would be good.

You could get some resistence bands, as well, and do upper body resistance workouts with those, as well, and that would be absolutely no impact on your knees.

And there would be no worry of picking up weights, on a bad knee, that way.

The resistence workouts would keep your heart rate up and allow you to continue to burn calories till you can get your knee fixed.

I'll probably pick those up this week.

Thanks everyone for your quick responses! It's really appreciated.

Bill Wooten

Reaction score
I guess you could still do the upper body P90X DVDs (Chest & Back, Shoulders & Arms and Back & Biceps) along with Ab Ripper X. None of those should put much strain on your knee.

I'd check with your Dr. to see what kind of exercises he wants you doing prior to surgery. Maybe he can get you set up with a physical therapist prior to surgery so you can start up with them for your post-surgical care. My guess is they might let you swim or use an elliptical. Either of those will give you a cardio workout.