Plumbing help

BillyBates

Reaction score
I'm looking fer a little advice installing a one piece shower\tub. when our home was built we had the drains installed into the concrete floor of the basement. shower/toilet/sink.
In the floor they left a square wood box frame with looks like a few trowels of rough concreat.

1. is a full tub and shower easier to install than just a stall?
2. toilet, does it have to be raised? or can I simply install the closet flange flush to floor ?
thanks !

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I'm looking fer a little advice installing a one piece shower\tub. when our home was built we had the drains installed into the concrete floor of the basement. shower/toilet/sink.
In the floor they left a square wood box frame with looks like a few trowels of rough concreat.

2. toilet, does it have to be raised? or can I simply install the closet flange flush to floor ?
thanks !
Shower stall drain is 2", bathtub drain is 1-1/2". If they are embedded in concrete, stick with a shower stall.
Closet flange should be flush with finish floor height. They can be extended upward with flange extensions. Can't go lower though.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

thanks !
,,,er,,, I'll be needing a bit more mental 'insight' concercerning yer' presented question, BillyB!

1) I'm 'picturing' 3 existing ,yet, never utilized/tapped into, sewer drainage outlets ,correct?

2) without a doubt a single molded one piece tub/shower unit is not easier to install than just a shower stall unit ( if you can even get that 'one' piece unit shoehorned down into the basement to begin with, as those item types are usually placed in the required a.o.,if not already "roughed-in/half the time" b-4 the other trades& crafts ,like electric,water, ventilation, ect. during the construction phase,,, I recall having once installed a shower head & the splash wall surround above an existing bathtub in a mobile home once,and I can't say it's of a fond recollection either

3) was the original 'plan' to just later on down the road ,to go with just a corner shower stall?,as I'm asking about yer' hot/ cold water piping feeds in relation to these 3 sewer taps,Man, I guess I'm the type whose gotta 'see the picture' b-4 I can advise to what/ how many colors are involved in it's painting, broo_O

4) our man nightrain done handled question #2 for ya,buddy

* good luck be yer's:thumbup:*

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Shower stall drain is 2", bathtub drain is 1-1/2". If they are embedded in concrete, stick with a shower stall.
Closet flange should be flush with finish floor height. They can be extended upward with flange extensions. Can't go lower though.
maxie, you rascal. All this time you could have been sharing that with us and you wait until we get over here?

And I want my flange to stay in the closet. I don't think the family is ready.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
,,,er,,, I'll be needing a bit more mental 'insight' concercerning yer' presented question, BillyB!

1) I'm 'picturing' 3 existing ,yet, never utilized/tapped into, sewer drainage outlets ,correct?

2) without a doubt a single molded one piece tub/shower unit is not easier to install than just a shower stall unit ( if you can even get that 'one' piece unit shoehorned down into the basement to begin with, as those item types are usually placed in the required a.o.,if not already "roughed-in/half the time" b-4 the other trades& crafts ,like electric,water, ventilation, ect. during the construction phase,,, I recall having once installed a shower head & the splash wall surround above an existing bathtub in a mobile home once,and I can't say it's of a fond recollection either

3) was the original 'plan' to just later on down the road ,to go with just a corner shower stall?,as I'm asking about yer' hot/ cold water piping feeds in relation to these 3 sewer taps,Man, I guess I'm the type whose gotta 'see the picture' b-4 I can advise to what/ how many colors are involved in it's painting, broo_O

4) our man nightrain done handled question #2 for ya,buddy

* good luck be yer's:thumbup:*
Melon's been most helpful but left out the key. When yer dun, make sure the water goes out when you yank the chain.

Egads, I feel so unmanly when these threads pop up and you handymen know so much I am sure my wife would have left me for any one of you.

I am waiting for someone to start a thread to really show my stuff. "How do I make toast"? I am gonna own the ******* Likes in that one.

BillyBates

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I need to remove the troweled concreat from area to see exactly what I'm dealing with.
I tried posting a pic I took before the floor was pored. I cant seem to post it? the site keeps asking for a URL code. what ever that is...I'm going to send it to daboys so she can do this fer me.

Last edited:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I need to remove the troweled concreat from area to see exactly what I'm dealing with.
I tried posting a pic I took before the floor was pored. I cant seem to post it? the site keeps asking for a URL code. what ever that is...I'm going to send it to daboys so she can do this fer me.
Here ya go sweetheart.
@cowboyec @nightrain

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Here ya go sweetheart.
@cowboyec @nightrain

The box in the floor is for the trap to your tub or shower. Can't tell the diameter of the pipe which will determine whether you have a bathtub or shower set up. I am also not able to see vent piping for your toilet and shower/bath.

To answer Mr Bates question about which is easier to install, tub or shower, the answer is it depends. More plumbing involved with a combo tub/shower install. Stand alone shower bases can be built with a mortar bed and tile that requires a special skillset.

If you go with a fiberglass tub or shower base, don't neglect setting it in a bed of mortar to prevent sagging.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If you're on Facebook, post your picture there, then use that right click on the photo and press "copy". Then here in this thread, click on the photograph icon in the header of the box you type in, and right click in the space marked "image URL". Click "paste", then hit "insert".

If you're not on FB, you can use other sites, such as Imgur.

BillyBates

Reaction score
Thanks ! Nightrain, daboys, Melonfeud and runwild. I think I maybe swimming a bit deep on this one. time to bite the bullet and hire a real plumber.
what has me nervous is its the lowest spot in the house. as Mike Holmes would say ''needs to be done wright'' .I am picturing a lake appearing in the basement. I can build a dog house though, which Ill need to sleep in after the flood. thank you for all again for the input and help.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Thanks ! Nightrain, daboys, Melonfeud and runwild. I think I maybe swimming a bit deep on this one. time to bite the bullet and hire a real plumber.
what has me nervous is its the lowest spot in the house. as Mike Holmes would say ''needs to be done wright'' .I am picturing a lake appearing in the basement. I can build a dog house though, which Ill need to sleep in after the flood. thank you for all again for the input and help.
That's a smart move. Good Luck!