Plummer Denies Road Rage Incident

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Updated: May 24, 2006, 6:14 PM ET
Broncos QB Plummer denies road-rage incident

Associated Press

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Denver Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer insists he's not a hothead and denies backing into another motorist's vehicle in a road rage incident last month.

nfl_a_plummer_275.jpg

AP Photo/Jack Dempsey

Plummer addressed his alleged road-rage incident during a Broncos minicamp.

Plummer said Wednesday the other driver bumped his tailgate at a red light in south suburban Denver after the Bronco had been zipping through traffic on his way to deliver a check to charity on April 20.

He acknowledged cutting off the other motorist while talking on his cell phone.

"I waved in my rearview mirror and even said sorry. And all I heard was incessant honking. When I pulled up to the light, I felt a bump on the back of my tailgate, which was very surprising," Plummer said.

He said he got out of his 2005 Honda Element to check for damage. Finding none, he got back into his truck, drove away when the light changed and called 911 to report the incident.

"It wasn't like he smashed into me. It was more like a tap to say, 'Hey, you cut me off.' So I let 911 know and I took off and had to get to my function," Plummer said.

Police told him they have no record of his call but Plummer said he'll show investigators his cell phone records to prove it.

Plummer was issued a summons for a misdemeanor city violation of "injure or destroy property," similar to criminal mischief under state law. The summons orders Plummer to appear at Englewood's Violations Bureau between June 2 and June 15.

The pickup driver, Douglas Stone, 47, of Denver, did not return a call from The Associated Press. He told KDVR-TV in Denver he did not realize the other driver was Plummer.

Plummer, Denver's quarterback for three seasons, has received unwelcome attention before. In 2004, he flashed an obscene gesture to a heckler in the home crowd. When a newspaper columnist identified his girlfriend last year, he called the columnist and criticized Broncos fans. He later apologized and said he likes being Denver's quarterback.

Plummer said this latest incident shouldn't affect his reputation.
"When football season comes, I don't think anybody's going to be saying, 'Oh yeah! I remember that road rage thing.' They're not going to care," he said.

"It's a matter of how we play ball and go on, and image tarnished, whatever, role model, blah blah blah, I'm here to play football and win games and whatever happens, that's what I've got to deal with," he said.
Learning to control his temper is not an issue, either, Plummer suggested.
"I'm not concerned one bit with that. I'm very calm," he said. "There's no anger management problems with me, no."

In this latest incident, "I wasn't angry one bit until he bumped me in the back of my car," Plummer said.

According to a police report, witnesses said a man later identified as Plummer got out of the Honda at the stoplight and said something to Stone. The comments aren't in the report. Plummer denied saying anything to Stone.

The other driver then returned to the Honda, backed into the pickup and left when the light changed, the report said, quoting witnesses.
One witness wrote down the Honda license plate, which police traced to Plummer.

Police investigator John Hoehler said the officer in charge of the case did not contact Plummer until last week because he was busy with other matters.

Plummer said he was surprised when he was contacted by police on Friday because "it was a month after everything had transpired."

The police report said Plummer's car had $200 to $300 in damage and Stone's pickup had about $25 damage to its front license plate holder.

On Wednesday, Plummer said he didn't notice any damage at the scene because the trucks were pressed against each other bumper to bumper.
Asked if he backed up into the other truck, Plummer said, "From the story I just told you, I think that would be impossible for that to happen."

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I ran into Plummer in Mesa one time when he was still with the Cardinals. He was at a restaurant on a date, one table over from us. He was a class A jerk. I believe he's lying.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess anything is possible.....but he is going to have a hard time convincing 12 people he is as innocent as he is leading us to believe.

2much2soon

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I ran into Plummer in Mesa one time when he was still with the Cardinals. He was at a restaurant on a date, one table over from us. He was a class A jerk. I believe he's lying.

I have lived in Boise for quite a few years and caught the Jake Plummer show during his high-school years here.
I don't know enough of him to categorize him as a jerk, but he does come off as not a very sharp guy when I have seen him doing commercials locally.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
2much2soon said:
I have lived in Boise for quite a few years and caught the Jake Plummer show during his high-school years here.
I don't know enough of him to categorize him as a jerk, but he does come off as not a very sharp guy when I have seen him doing commercials locally.
He wondered aloud why those of us in the restaurant weren't "mobbing him for his autograph." He kept telling his date how amazing he was, etc. He was quite high on himself.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Plummer. He wasn't named "Jake the Snake" for his football play.
He got into some trouble while at ASU that became public knowledge. He kicked a girl in the crotch outside a bar in down town Tempe. Funny thing is he said "she started it." Said she was harrassing him and kicked him first.
He's got anger issues. Remember the "bird" to the denver fans incident?
I think he's lying as well....................again.

Champsheart

Reaction score
Hostile said:

I do not like Plummer at all. I ran into him in Castle Rock Colorado at the Redhawk Ridge Golf Course. There where a bunch of Broncos there playing golf with young kids. From what I saw he was really nice to the kids, but everyone else he acted as if he was above them.

I never really liked him much, but when I heard what he did to a local female reporter here in Denver I can have no respect for the man.

I don't know if the recording can be found on the internet, but a local radio station played portions of the recording.

Jake cussed this woman up and down, and basically threatned her, then went on to say Denver fans think they are the best fans, but are not.
This guy has no class at all.

I have no doubts he is lying about everything.

How do you like his remarks about being a role model? "blah, blah, blah"

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
I just don't know what to day about all of this. I'm stunnned. I"m shocked. I've never heard anything quite like it. A Honda Fricken Element?????

superpunk

Reaction score
kobe2jail said:
I just don't know what to day about all of this. I'm stunnned. I"m shocked. I've never heard anything quite like it. A Honda Fricken Element?????

I pinch.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Picture this guy ...

56625039bb001_denver_bronco.widec.jpg

Driving this vehicle ...
DSC_0006.jpg

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It's moments like this that I am glad Coach Parcells wasn't impressed enough with him to offer him a big free agent contract in 2003.