Police probe shooting at NFL players' party

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Another skin in the news

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3724590

Police probe shooting at NFL players' party

/ Associated Press
Posted: 7 hours ago GAMBRILLS, Md. (AP) - Police are investigating the shooting of a security guard at a pool party hosted by NFL linebackers LaVar Arrington and Julian Peterson.
Investigators don't believe Arrington was near the spot where James Sidney was shot and injured, although the Washington Commanders player was present at the party, police spokesman Lt. Joseph Jordan said Tuesday. It was not clear whether Peterson was at the party Saturday night, Jordan said. No one has been charged in the shooting and there are no suspects, Jordan said.

James Sidney was shot when he intervened in a scuffle at the party, police said. He was flown to a hospital in Baltimore, where he was in serious but stable condition, Jordan said. A hospital spokeswoman said Sidney requested that no further information be released.

Arrington and Peterson, who plays for San Francisco, hosted the party along with a company called True Playaz Entertainment at a 18,000-square foot mansion they rented, according to Jordan.

An agent who represents both Arrington and Peterson did not immediately return a call seeking comment

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
amazing - Gibbs has to be drinking or planning his parachute back to Nascar, or both.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
amazing - Gibbs has to be drinking or planning his parachute back to Nascar, or both.
I bet he is regretting big time not being in NASCAR this year and not just because of the Commanders continued woes. The two biggest teams in NASCAR are struggling and he could have his drivers poised to win titles. Timing, and it is all bad.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
It's hard to imagine the Commanders' off-season going much worse.

When it began, they were just laughed at for the odd little things -- like Daniel Snyder threatening Coles. Now it's turned to this type of stuff. Sure, LaVar didn't really do anything wrong here, but it's still not the type of headline you want to be reading if you're a fan of the team.

Entirely different situations, but it reminds me of reading stuff like Peppi Zellner being found with "his brother's" drugs. Nothing may come of it, but it's still utterly embarrassing.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dale said:
It's hard to imagine the Commanders' off-season going much worse.

When it began, they were just laughed at for the odd little things -- like Daniel Snyder threatening Coles. Now it's turned to this type of stuff. Sure, LaVar didn't really do anything wrong here, but it's still not the type of headline you want to be reading if you're a fan of the team.

Entirely different situations, but it reminds me of reading stuff like Peppi Zellner being found with "his brother's" drugs. Nothing may come of it, but it's still utterly embarrassing.
Yet strangely refreshing for me. :grin:

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
When it rains it pours, and right now there are torrential rains in DC and Gibbs has a leaky umbrella.

I almost feel bad for Gibbs since he's never seemed to be, at least to me, a bad person. There's something vaguely irritating about him, but he's not a bad guy. Now if this was Buddy Ryan, I'd be grinning from ear to ear.

In the grander scheme of things, I'm almost giddy that (Some, not all) the Commander fans are getting a taste of what we had. Karma and all that, don't you know.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I bet he is regretting big time not being in NASCAR this year and not just because of the Commanders continued woes. The two biggest teams in NASCAR are struggling and he could have his drivers poised to win titles. Timing, and it is all bad.

His ole Bad boy Tony Stewart is probably looking good to him now.

ndanger

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Same with Kurt Busch.
Kurt Bush drives for Roush racing,Bobby Labonte drives for Gibbs.I'm not sure if they have a third team in the Nextel series or not.Maybe Jason Keller?

Bill Wooten

Reaction score
ndanger said:
Kurt Bush drives for Roush racing,Bobby Labonte drives for Gibbs.I'm not sure if they have a third team in the Nextel series or not.Maybe Jason Keller?

I believe it's Jason Leffler that drives the FedEx car for Gibbs. Tony Stewart is making a good run at it this year.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ndanger said:
You are correct. My bad.

ndanger

Reaction score
Bill Wooten said:
I believe it's Jason Leffler that drives the FedEx car for Gibbs. Tony Stewart is making a good run at it this year.
You are correct as well it is Jason Leffler. My bad.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Security man shot at LaVar's party

By David Elfin
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
June 29, 2005

A man was shot at a party that Washington Commanders star linebacker LaVar Arrington played host to in Gambrills, Md., on Saturday.

James Sidney of Hyattsville was shot in the back about 1 a.m. Sunday as he apparently tried to break up a fight that occurred as the party was concluding. Lt. Joseph Jordan of the Anne Arundel County police said Sidney, who was working security at the party, is in serious but stable condition at Shock-Trauma Center at University Hospital in Baltimore and expected to recover.

Jordan said Arrington wasn't involved in the shooting, which remains under investigation and in which no one has been charged.

"Over the weekend, there was an unfortunate incident where a security guard was injured following a party I hosted in Gambrills, Md., to conclude a series of charity events," Arrington said in a statement released by the Commanders. "I had no involvement in the incident, and to my knowledge neither did any of the guests at the party. I feel terrible about the injury to the guard, who was only doing his job and pray he recovers quickly and fully."

Anne Arundel County police first became aware of the party at 1729 Saddle Drive when neighbors called to report excessive noise before 8 p.m. Saturday. Jordan said Arrington identified himself to officers when they arrived at the house, which he was renting for the occasion from Lafa Inc., a real estate firm in Fort Washington. When police returned to the address about midnight, Jordan said Arrington agreed to end the party. Less than an hour later, police responded to a call about Sidney's shooting.

State Sen. Janet Greenip, Republican-Crofton, who represents Gambrills, said she has been working with the county police, liquor board, zoning officials and community leaders to find a way to end the parties since she learned of their existence in March.

"No one has any business having a for-profit party in a residential community," Greenip said of Lafa CEO Oladipo Olafunmiloye. "It's very unfortunate that there was a shooting, but I'm hopeful that we can finally put a stop to these parties."

The 18,000-square foot house, called the Gambrills Mansion, is situated on six acres and has a swimming pool, an elevator, seven bedrooms and 91/2 bathrooms. Hundreds of people attend each of the frequent parties that Lafa has permitted while listing the house for sale for $3.6 million. However, Lafa's attorney, Michael Ron Worthy, said his client plans to occupy the house soon.
Worthy said Lafa "did not plan or organize" the party and was not responsible for security.

"We have been in full cooperation with local police authorities to assist in the prosecution of the perpetrator of this terrible crime," Worthy said in a statement. "My client is very concerned about the incident that took place on his property and sends his deepest regards to the injured party that attended the event."

San Francisco 49ers linebacker Julian Peterson, who played at Crossland High School in Temple Hills, was Arrington's co-host at the party.

"It is ... our understanding that Julian had nothing to do with the incident in question," 49ers coach Mike Nolan said.

Arrington has said Peterson, against whom he competed while they were at rival Big Ten schools and who is represented by the same agents, is the NFL player he most likes to watch.

The shooting continued nine months of aggravation for Arrington, who missed 12 games last season following arthroscopic knee surgery. The three-time Pro Bowl pick needed a second surgery in April to repair lingering damage. When that news leaked, Arrington blasted the Commanders for not making him a priority and then stopped speaking to the media for reporting his criticisms.

Arrington also is facing a July 18 arbitration hearing regarding the $6.5 million in signing bonus he contends the Commanders owe him from a December 2003 contract renegotiation.

Commanders director of sports medicine Bubba Tyer said last week that Arrington was progressing well in his latest rehabilitation but might not be fully ready for the start of training camp Aug. 1.

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20050629-120436-2050r.htm

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bill Wooten said:
LOL...you're right about that. He's not doing so well. Have you heard who may replace him?

I know Gibbs was after Biffle but he just resigned with Roush. Gibbs apparently offered Biffle more money than Roush did but he chose to stay w/Roush.

I don't know who will be driving the #11 next year - but it won't be Leffler. He has truly done awful in some very good equipment.