Video: Poll - Was Troy Aikman the most accurate passer in NFL history during a QB's prime years?

Was Troy Aikman the most accurate passer in NFL history during a QB's prime years?

• Yes

Votes: 32 68.1%
  • No

Votes: 15 31.9%

• Total voters

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In today's past happy NFL Troy would be god like. He could make every throw and put it on a spot, very rare. The only ball he hated to throw was the deep sideline because he had to depend on receivers to make adjustments and he hated that.
He also had Emmitt to hand off to in goal line situations so he never got to throw touchdowns like he would have been easily capable. So yes, I'll gladly take another Troy anytime.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
In today's past happy NFL Troy would be god like. He could make every throw and put it on a spot, very rare. The only ball he hated to throw was the deep sideline because he had to depend on receivers to make adjustments and he hated that.
He also had Emmitt to hand off to in goal line situations so he never got to throw touchdowns like he would have been easily capable. So yes, I'll gladly take another Troy anytime.
This. You can't really compare now and then. Today Troy would have a field day in almost every game. I don't know if he was mobile enough for this day n age, but he'd probably the most dangerous QB from the box.

But don't forget Irvin. He made a lot of plays happen despite the odds. But Troy and Amari would have been an awesome team I think.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I recall and interview with Michael Irvin and he said he could run a route with his eyes closed 10 times, put his hands out and catch eight of the passes, because the ball was always right there. And then there's Mickey Spagnola who told of a young Troy Aikman knocking water bottles off the head of Mark Tuinei from 20 yards away.

Troy was definitely an accurate passer, and a lot of it came from being so tough, with the pocket collapsing and guys with bad intentions barreling down on him, he never wavered, he stood tall and pull the trigger. I don't think he gets enough credit for that.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
This. You can't really compare now and then. Today Troy would have a field day in almost every game. I don't know if he was mobile enough for this day n age, but he'd probably the most dangerous QB from the box.

But don't forget Irvin. He made a lot of plays happen despite the odds. But Troy and Amari would have been an awesome team I think.

:hammer:...he had the running game around him (to offset his limited running game). Playing the 'Memory Game' (which is always influenced bt TV replays), he did have the ability to put the ball where his 88 could make the worldly catch.

But as for the OP, the 1990's were a Defense/run orientated game and completion rates weren't what they are now. Can never compare era's.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I recall and interview with Michael Irvin and he said he could run a route with his eyes closed 10 times, put his hands out and catch eight of the passes, because the ball was always right there. And then there's Mickey Spagnola who told of a young Troy Aikman knocking water bottles off the head of Mark Tuinei from 20 yards away.

Troy was definitely an accurate passer, and a lot of it came from being so tough, with the pocket collapsing and guys with bad intentions barreling down on him, he never wavered, he stood tall and pull the trigger. I don't think he gets enough credit for that.

Good point, we remember the Emmit/O-Line/Irvin contributions, but alot of the Offense was him staying in the pocket and taking the hits as he got the ball away.

pitt33

Reaction score
As far as Cowboys quarterbacks go there was Staubach and Aikman.

You can have all the rest.

mahoneybill

Reaction score

so true.get inside the 10 and TD’s were the norm. Biggest surprise was first SB win with Opening up the passing game and Irvin key part

mahoneybill

Reaction score

He also,had receivers that would be at the right spot. Recall one quote where the TE Novacek said I saw you going down but you released the ball anyway. I asked why and you said I knew you would be at the spot.

Rush is no airman but one of his passes to Brown was a clear example of him leading him to a spot . Dark seems to wait for a clearance where rush leads the receiver open

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Aikman wasn't perfect. He wasn't mobile and he didn't throw on the run. He also wasn't a big touch guy who would just drop the ball in between coverage. That said, if there was a straight line between himself and the target, he would hit it with amazing precision. It was fantastically rare for him to just miss an open receiver or even see the guy have to adjust to catch the ball. He usually hit the guy in stride, right in the abdomen.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was Troy Aikman the most accurate passer in NFL history during a QB's prime years?

:starspin:

:popcorn: What say you?

Have you heard the Mark Tuinei Gatorade bottle on top of the head as a target story?

Tuinei made a bet or something that he would put a Gatorade bottle on top of his head and have Aikman use it as a target to show Aikman's accuracy and to show how much Tuinei trusted Aikman?

Similar to the proverbial apple on the head as a target concept...

imag_edito-astrology-western-IS-000000323517_4336.jpg

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Have you heard the Mark Tuinei Gatorade bottle on top of the head as a target story?

Tuinei made a bet or something that he would put a Gatorade bottle on top of his head and have Aikman use it as a target to show Aikman's accuracy and to show how much Tuinei trusted Aikman?

Similar to the proverbial apple on the head as a target concept...

imag_edito-astrology-western-IS-000000323517_4336.jpg
Sounds like that never came to fruition, but if it had, I would be more surprised if he'd missed than if he'd hit it clean. Probably would've hit the top of the bottle, just to be safe.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:starspin:

:popcorn: What say you?

In training camp back in 93, I personally witnessed Aikman have a meltdown because WR Kevin Williams was not consistently breaking an in-route at the correct depth.

Aikman walked out to a spot and literally put his finger on the ground to show where KW should break and then Aikman pointed to the spots where KW was actually breaking and they were literally 1 foot in front or behind the correct spot.

I also saw an interview with Aikman in that same time frame where a reporter asked about rookie WR Kevin Williams.
- Aikman described that KW likes the ball a couple of inches above the bottom of the numbers on his jersey.
- Aikman said Mike Irvin prefers it about an inch below the top of the numbers...

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yes.

Aikman would dominate in todays pass happy NFL. He would be a perennial MVP candidate. His superior timing and accuracy would make it impossible for DB’s to cover his receivers with modern rules.

people also forget that Aikman was pretty mobile in his younger years until his back problems started.

He would be absolutely dominant and the cowboys would be super bowl contenders every year if they had Aikman in his prime right now.