Porzingas traded to Wizards

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Tough deal here as I really like KP but the injuries are just draining.
Mavs give up on his potential upside and ceiling to clear his money and get two overpaid rotation guys.

Dinwiddie does provide some playmaking and ball handling Mavs needed and Davis Bertrans does bring floor spacing.
But both have limitations. Spencer is coming off ACL and is not at 100% in explosiveness.
Bertrans is just really a floor spacing shooter and not much else.
But this move seems a net gain for now as KP is out injured too often and Dallas badly needed more depth.

I've talked about KP as a poor man's AD and this year has really demonstrated that again.
Both guys were elite in the bubble --tho KP was injured again.
But both guys have been injury prone since and failed to fully meet the ceiling again.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Bertans has a quicker trigger than KP. He's going to shoot if the ball touches his hands.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Bertans has a quicker trigger than KP. He's going to shoot if the ball touches his hands.
He is legit a pure shooting guard in a 6'10" body that plays pick up basketball level D.
Fun to watch!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
KP still hasn't played a game. I hate the trade but at least they got some solid rotational guys.
I hated the trade at first but love it now.

KP not being available up til now has made it a pretty large win.
DAL has both those guys in as useful rotation pieces with Dinwiddie being a lot more than that.
DAL has a top 5 NBA record since JAN 1st and has been aces defensively allowing for Bertrans and Dinwiddle to help bolster the offensive end.

This was underrated-ly positive work by Nico here.

Dallas gave up on the upside dream with KP and lack a legit rim protection presence but are so good now on the wings both offensively and defensively and Luka still gets wherever he wants on the court at will.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I hated the trade at first but love it now.

KP not being available up til now has made it a pretty large win.
DAL has both those guys in as useful rotation pieces with Dinwiddie being a lot more than that.
DAL has a top 5 NBA record since JAN 1st and has been aces defensively allowing for Bertrans and Dinwiddle to help bolster the offensive end.

This was underrated-ly positive work by Nico here.

Dallas gave up on the upside dream with KP and lack a legit rim protection presence but are so good now on the wings both offensively and defensively and Luka still gets wherever he wants on the court at will.
My only issue is I would've traded KP for expiring contracts as opposed to Dinwiddie and Bertans. Bertans has one of the worst contracts I've seen for a player of his caliber. Dinwiddie has a bad one as well. And while KP does....he's at least 7'3 and has a higher ceiling. But if you're not available it means nothing.

I just wish we could go back and never trade for the guy to begin with lol.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My only issue is I would've traded KP for expiring contracts as opposed to Dinwiddie and Bertans. Bertans has one of the worst contracts I've seen for a player of his caliber. Dinwiddie has a bad one as well. And while KP does....he's at least 7'3 and has a higher ceiling. But if you're not available it means nothing.

Dinwiddies will look better in 2022/23 once he is another year removed from knee surgery. There was some savvy for the Mavs to take on a "bad contract" that will look much better the next season. If Dinwiddie isnt in their long term plans, he'll probably be a nice trade asset by the next trade deadline

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dinwiddies will look better in 2022/23 once he is another year removed from knee surgery. There was some savvy for the Mavs to take on a "bad contract" that will look much better the next season. If Dinwiddie isnt in their long term plans, he'll probably be a nice trade asset by the next trade deadline
Yeah you think more highly of Dinwiddie then I do. I think he's a solid player but if it came down to him and Brunson? I'd take Brunson.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah you think more highly of Dinwiddie then I do. I think he's a solid player but if it came down to him and Brunson? I'd take Brunson.
Apples to oranges really. Brunson is a smaller 1 who is a more efficient offensive player. Dinwiddie gives you more size at 6'5, and he has been a 20ppg 6 assist guy. You can play both together. Dinwiddie is probably a 17/5 guy on a good team. I dont think he'll be as efficient as he has been since coming to Dallas, but if he can do that (17/5) on 45% from the field, he is a quality asset for his contract. 18 million per isn't alot for that caliber player

Dinwiddie isnt costing you Brunson. You have Bird rights and the ability to match any offer for Brunson once he is a FA. They will probably extend him this offseason anyways

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Apples to oranges really. Brunson is a smaller 1 who is a more efficient offensive player. Dinwiddie gives you more size at 6'5, and he has been a 20ppg 6 assist guy. You can play both together. Dinwiddie is probably a 17/5 guy on a good team. I dont think he'll be as efficient as he has been since coming to Dallas, but if he can do that (17/5) on 45% from the field, he is a quality asset for his contract. 18 million per isn't alot for that caliber player

Dinwiddie isnt costing you Brunson. You have Bird rights and the ability to match any offer for Brunson once he is a FA. They will probably extend him this offseason anyways
Dinwiddie was a 20 point 6 assist guy on bad teams. On a good team he's closer to a 15 point 4 assist guy. He represents what we've had before. The Harrison Barne's, Chandler Parsons, etc. I just want more there otherwise it feels like we are wasting another year of Luka.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dinwiddie was a 20 point 6 assist guy on bad teams. On a good team he's closer to a 15 point 4 assist guy. He represents what we've had before. The Harrison Barne's, Chandler Parsons, etc. I just want more there otherwise it feels like we are wasting another year of Luka.
He isnt likely to be one of your top 3, but he is a good get as far as assets go. His trade value will be much better around the next trade deadline than it is now. He could be someone to hold on to if they can manage a 2nd star alongside Luka without including him or Brunson in a trade( Im not that familiar with Dallas's assets). He is kind of a poor mans Scary Terry, and would be a good starter to stagger minutes and lead the 2nd team. Or even a big minute 6th man. 18M for 30 mpg 6th isnt bad at all

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

I think Dallas actually won BOTH KP trades in hindsight.
In the first trade keep in mind they shipped off 2-3 guys that cannot make NBA rotations who were all making 10M plus.
So yea it was a lot of draft comp but they got the best player in the deal by far and moved out a disgruntled DSJ, DAJ, the recovering and overpaid Wes.

In this move Dallas needed to get some return so they could advance at least a round in the playoffs and show growth.
Dinwiddie and Bertrans were; like KP, at heinously low value so it made sense to swap houses.
Before Dinwiddie's ACL injury he was seen as a superb target as he was the leader of the crew that brought Brooklyn back from the dead and helped bring in KD.
His dribble drive game with mid-range scoring was essential for this team once THJ was down for the season.

Bertrans is an overpaid singularly focused big but that can be useful too.

I am huge fan of the way this team is playing right now and seeing Dinwiddie and Bertrans give you like 30 mins a night combined while KP still hasn't played make this almost dreamy.

I think standing here today I'd like to move THJ, Maxi plus a 1 for a legit starting center in the off-season if possible.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

This. The Brunson/Dinwiddie combo is perfect when Luka is off the floor!

Dinwiddie is a THJ replacement with a little better dribble drive game but a bit less scorched earth 3-point heat wave.

Dallas needs BOTH Brunson as the ball handler and Dinwiddie as the scoring option to help Luka.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dallas lost the 2nd scoring option by moving KP and lost the 3rd when THJ was injured.
They badly needed a scorer and Dinwiddie is that.
His play has been tremendous here.

He's averaging 17.6 point and 5 assists for a Mavs team that has went 6-1 with him. His efficiency has been insane. 64% effective FG % here.
Spencer as a 6th man is a perfect Mavs marriage.
Dallas can get the same thing from THJ but he is always mopey about coming off the bench and has been less efficient on offense.

Dallas extended Doe Doe and they'll find a way to keep Brunson or they'll go get a point guard.