CFZ Position Flex: Sam Williams Will Probably Play Similar Role to Parsons

Pass2Run

Reaction score
So, some will call me crazy. And if that's the case, cool, I've done my job.

Now that this draft is all said and done, and I've had a chance to really chew on our picks, and what those picks mean in terms of the talent they bring to the team, especially this year, I give it a solid A. This post is mostly about Sam Williams, because I think when I look at Sam Williams, and his capabilities, I see a lot of similarities between Williams and Parsons. Like, Parsons, I believe Williams has position flex and can play linebacker in certain packages and plays.

Like Parsons, Williams is a freak athlete who can probably also play a little linebacker — maybe even a little safety.

But the other common element among guys in this draft is position flex.

And all of them have it.

Every single player we drafted this year is sort of a hybrid-type player. From Tyler Smith, hybrid swing tackle slash guard, a guy who is willing to play any position on the offensive line.

To Sam Williams, especially, though, edge slash linebacker, changes the scope of the defense, and compliments Parsons abilities very well.

Let's keep it moving here.

Jalen Tolbert, Jack of all Trades, who can play outside or in the slot.

Jake Ferguson, even, a tight end/h-back type player. (OK, maybe he's the outlier here). It wouldn't surprise me to see him get some work at FB in some packages.

And we also have Waletzko, the swing tackle.

Speaking of position flex, anyone taking bets on if a guy like Damone Clark can rush the passer under Dan Quinn's system as a linebacker?

If we have Fowler, Parsons, and Williams on the field all at the same time, it's a lot harder to account for players like Devin Harper, who is no slouch of an athlete in terms of measurables.

Add to this fact that Daron Bland played CB in college, but looks more like an NFL free safety, and it's interesting to ponder all of this position flex!

I'm not sure how much say Dan Quinn had in the players we picked, but it sure seems he wants two things in players in order to compliment Micah Parson's talent: athletic freakishness and position flex.

And with that said, I think this is going to be the most enjoyable year to watch. I can't wait to see Sam Williams out there with Parsons and Fowler. I think many mistakenly assume that Fowler has to be on the field, or Williams.

But I think Quinn is secretly most excited about having Fowler, Williams and Parsons on the field at the same time.

People are complaining that we didn't go hard enough at middle linebacker. Well, say hello to Dan Quinn's new defense: players like Parsons and Williams will rotate from end to linebacker.

I don't think we'll do much more at MLB, because I think Parsons will hold that down sometimes, and sometimes, we may even see Sam Williams at LB while Parsons rushes the edge.

So let's talk about Williams' versatility.

Is Williams just an edge rusher?

Or is there something more here?

I'm seeing us as a top 3 defense this year.

With a top 15 offense.

If we want to win the big game, it'll be on the backs of our defense.

Go Cowboys!

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was thinking something similar the other day. If Williams can drop back to play some sort of hybrid LB, and Parson on the field. The offense may not always be aware where the pass is coming from.
Does Quinn utilize a LB such as what Haley was used for, they called it the Elephant position. Maybe Quinn calls it the Parsons. :laugh:. I don't know.

I read an article, that said Fowler is similar to Gregory in his build and style. So can Quinn make him productive again as well.

I look for the defense to be better, but they still need to be better against the run. Seems they tried to address this, but did they. No FA, no top draft pick to help. At DT that is. Relying on a huge jump from 1st, 2nd and 3rd year players. And a few salty vets.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I was thinking something similar the other day. If Williams can drop back to play some sort of hybrid LB, and Parson on the field. The offense may not always be aware where the pass is coming from.
Does Quinn utilize a LB such as what Haley was used for, they called it the Elephant position. Maybe Quinn calls it the Parsons. :laugh:. I don't know.

I read an article, that said Fowler is similar to Gregory in his build and style. So can Quinn make him productive again as well.

I look for the defense to be better, but they still need to be better against the run. Seems they tried to address this, but did they. No FA, no top draft pick to help. At DT that is. Relying on a huge jump from 1st, 2nd and 3rd year players. And a few salty vets.

After writing this post, I read in another post on here that Quinne has Williams playing snaps at LBer in practice. Took me a minute to figure it out, but I see why they targeted Williams over other players. We had a sneaky good draft, in my view.

And, yeah, we can run the 5-1 and a few other more advanced NFL defensive schemes where I can see them moving him all over the field. Right side, left side, and the middle.

I actually wanted Troy Andersen.

But athletically speaking, Williams can do everything Andersen can do, and then some.

I'm really excited about our defense potentially developing into a top defense in the league.

Our secondary is shaping up, too.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
After writing this post, I read in another post on here that Quinne has Williams playing snaps at LBer in practice. Took me a minute to figure it out, but I see why they targeted Williams over other players. We had a sneaky good draft, in my view.

And, yeah, we can run the 5-1 and a few other more advanced NFL defensive schemes where I can see them moving him all over the field. Right side, left side, and the middle.

I actually wanted Troy Andersen.

But athletically speaking, Williams can do everything Andersen can do, and then some.

I'm really excited about our defense potentially developing into a top defense in the league.

Our secondary is shaping up, too.

And the secondary will be helped by the front 7 being vastly improved as it seems to be. The more pressure the front 7 puts on the QB, the easier the secondary's job is.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
And the secondary will be helped by the front 7 being vastly improved as it seems to be. The more pressure the front 7 puts on the QB, the easier the secondary's job is.

Indeed!

The other thing they're doing that's really smart, is creating sort of a competition between Parsons and Williams. So, Williams, who seems like he likes to win, will play with the proverbial chip on his shoulder because of his past, like Micah, and because of where he was drafted, etc.

He truly does have 1st round traits.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Indeed!

The other thing they're doing that's really smart, is creating sort of a competition between Parsons and Williams. So, Williams, who seems like he likes to win, will play with the proverbial chip on his shoulder because of his past, like Micah, and because of where he was drafted, etc.

He truly does have 1st round traits.

I think we will benefit from that. Also, switching Parsons and Williams at times can be deadly for another reason. It means the oline can't exactly prepare for who to block. Try to go after Parsons, you'll let Williams slip through. Same viceversa.

I think switching to a 3-4 may actually be smart for the defence. They're built for it imo. I'd have, just picturing it in my head, Gallimore or Osa rotating, John Ridgeway or Bohanna, and Tank Lawrence on the Dline. Then I'd have Sam Williams on one end and Parsons on the other end of LB, we'd then have LVE and Cox at the interior LB position.

I think this may be a deadly way to deal with those two. Firstly, having that Dline lineup means the oline can't really try to double team anyone for starters because those dlinemen are very strong pass rushers in their own right. Secondly, they're also very good run stoppers, and they are very good (especially Ridgeway) at being able to push the oline back as he swallows the blocks making the RB have to hesitate. This would allow LVE and Cox to get him down on the backfield. As for the pass bit, even if the oline wanted to try to double team, they can't. Double team Parsons or LVE, and the other basically has free run at the QB and are men on a mission.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I think we will benefit from that. Also, switching Parsons and Williams at times can be deadly for another reason. It means the oline can't exactly prepare for who to block. Try to go after Parsons, you'll let Williams slip through. Same viceversa.

I think switching to a 3-4 may actually be smart for the defence. They're built for it imo. I'd have, just picturing it in my head, Gallimore or Osa rotating, John Ridgeway or Bohanna, and Tank Lawrence on the Dline. Then I'd have Sam Williams on one end and Parsons on the other end of LB, we'd then have LVE and Cox at the interior LB position.

I think this may be a deadly way to deal with those two. Firstly, having that Dline lineup means the oline can't really try to double team anyone for starters because those dlinemen are very strong pass rushers in their own right. Secondly, they're also very good run stoppers, and they are very good (especially Ridgeway) at being able to push the oline back as he swallows the blocks making the RB have to hesitate. This would allow LVE and Cox to get him down on the backfield. As for the pass bit, even if the oline wanted to try to double team, they can't. Double team Parsons or LVE, and the other basically has free run at the QB and are men on a mission.

We'd need a more proven DT to go that route consistently. But I do see your point, and can see us rolling the 3-4 packages out more.

They look alike.

Yes they do. Williams looks taller, even though they're listed at similar heights.

In reality, I think Parsons may be more like legit 6'2''.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
We'd need a more proven DT to go that route consistently. But I do see your point, and can see us rolling the 3-4 packages out more.

I do acknowledge that we need a bit more proven of a NT. The good news is we have a lot of depth to make that work. Also, I think Quinn ran more of a 3-4 in Seattle, and he seems to be building sort of a 3-4. It might be a combo of 3-4 and 4-3 we play this season as a mix. I just think leaning more into the 3-4, especially with Gallimore and Osa rotating on one end and DLaw on the other at DE would make it even more difficult on the oline in a 3-4 to try to stop Williams and Parsons. Essentially, they'd be overwhelmed, and a TE stands no chance, as we've seen, at stopping Parsons, and likely the same with Sam. So, we'd have overpowered the oline, and guess who benefits. Also, going against the likes of Rodgers this season, we must get as much pressure on him as possible. Imagine his face when he sees Parsons AND Williams chasing him at the same time.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I do acknowledge that we need a bit more proven of a NT. The good news is we have a lot of depth to make that work. Also, I think Quinn ran more of a 3-4 in Seattle, and he seems to be building sort of a 3-4. It might be a combo of 3-4 and 4-3 we play this season as a mix. I just think leaning more into the 3-4, especially with Gallimore and Osa rotating on one end and DLaw on the other at DE would make it even more difficult on the oline in a 3-4 to try to stop Williams and Parsons. Essentially, they'd be overwhelmed, and a TE stands no chance, as we've seen, at stopping Parsons, and likely the same with Sam. So, we'd have overpowered the oline, and guess who benefits. Also, going against the likes of Rodgers this season, we must get as much pressure on him as possible. Imagine his face when he sees Parsons AND Williams chasing him at the same time.

So, yes, true. As a mix, we can essentially play the 4-3 and 3-4 interchangeably, so-to-speak. So I agree on those points.

We also got Damone Clark for 2023!

Guy is a beast!

I remember when we drafted him, Dave Helman called it.

Broadus was like, "nah, I'm in the business of drafting healthy players."

Helman, with his short man complex snaps back, "it's not that kind of pick!"

And sure enough, they call Clark's number.

I actually love listening to Broadus, just because he's chatty and can create conversation, and he doesn't take himself too seriously, like Helman. But Helman got him on that one. lol

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think the coaches will play chess with him, so-to-speak.

We're going to be able to give offenses a lot to think about.

It'll be overwhelming for many.

I think you might have missed the joke haha. With how similar Parsons and Williams are, I was joking about chess because I know Parsons likes it (as do I)

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
So, yes, true. As a mix, we can essentially play the 4-3 and 3-4 interchangeably, so-to-speak. So I agree on those points.

We also got Damone Clark for 2023!

Guy is a beast!

I remember when we drafted him, Dave Helman called it.

Broadus was like, "nah, I'm in the business of drafting healthy players."

Helman, with his short man complex snaps back, "it's not that kind of pick!"

And sure enough, they call Clark's number.

I actually love listening to Broadus, just because he's chatty and can create conversation, and he doesn't take himself too seriously, like Helman. But Helman got him on that one. lol

Oh, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing Clark play. I think that's where the 3-4 becomes even more deadly for us. Having LVE and Clark in the interior linebacker positions would just be too much for the other olines. There is no chance of them blocking all of what we'd be sending their way. The packages that Quinn could do would be immensely dangerous.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Oh, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing Clark play. I think that's where the 3-4 becomes even more deadly for us. Having LVE and Clark in the interior linebacker positions would just be too much for the other olines. There is no chance of them blocking all of what we'd be sending their way. The packages that Quinn could do would be immensely dangerous.

Yep, to add to your point, though, the fact that they took Devin Harper this draft, and Clark, when there were other players on the board probably rated higher, draft-wise, I think indicates what you're saying about us moving to more of a 3-4 base in the very near future.

I think we may even get our DT in FA this year. Maybe a vet, maybe a trade with another team.

Or maybe I'm too dumb and Ridgeway is that guy?

Either way, we get that handled, and there's not much else in our way.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes they do. Williams looks taller, even though they're listed at similar heights.

In reality, I think Parsons may be more like legit 6'2''.

They measure to within 1/8" at the combine.
- SW is 1/2" taller.

Parsons 6031 (6'3-1/8")

Williams 6035 (6'3-5/8")

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yep, to add to your point, though, the fact that they took Devin Harper this draft, and Clark, when there were other players on the board probably rated higher, draft-wise, I think indicates what you're saying about us moving to more of a 3-4 base in the very near future.

I think we may even get our DT in FA this year. Maybe a vet, maybe a trade with another team.

Or maybe I'm too dumb and Ridgeway is that guy?

Either way, we get that handled, and there's not much else in our way.

I think you're right about Harper. I think that it was a smart move to get him as insurance for Clark. As for Ridgeway, I'm more or less deferring actually to Mark Holmes on that. I watched a video he made about Ridgeway, and his point was basically that Ridgeway seems to be a standard NT (though, he used the phrase "Nose guard") whose function is to drive the oline back and swallow the blocks. If that's the case, then that will make things that much easier for us.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
3-4 with Parsons and Williams as the OLB sounds intriguing to say the least.

Exactly, especially with Gallimore/Osa, Ridgeway, and Dlaw on the Dline in the 3-4, good luck to the oline. Especially when we get Clark back. That is going to be a nightmare haha. There's simply no way to block all of that. I think the "Doomsday Defense" might be back in a 3-4 version as opposed to Tom Landry's 4-3.