Position of Greatest Need for 1st Round Pick

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
Curious if we could find out a consensus on what position the board feels we should be drafting in Round 1. (This is not a Use Pick vs. Trade Down thread or a Need vs. BPA thread)

If you had your choice the Cowboys would spend there 1st round pick on a...

QB
RB
WR
OG
OT
TE

DT
DE
LB
CB
SS
FS

Can this be a made into a poll?

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
austintodallas;1388660 said:
Curious if we could find out a consensus on what position the board feels we should be drafting in Round 1. (This is not a Use Pick vs. Trade Down thread or a Need vs. BPA thread)

If you had your choice the Cowboys would spend there 1st round pick on a...

QB
RB
WR
OG
OT
TE

DT
DE
LB
CB
SS
FS

Can this be a made into a poll?

As a General Rule, I dont like to draft OL in the 1st. This year might be an exception depending on what we do in FA. If we don't get a RG in FA, then I would go there in the draft. Other than that.. I can see a CB in the 1st, to compete with Henry and at the very least contribute in the Nickel and on PR.

visionary

Reaction score
OL (even if we sign OG in FA) and CB in 1 and 2 based on value of available players when we pick.

dwmyers

Reaction score
If we keep all the critical free agents, we do not have a single *urgent* need. Not one. We have a functional player at every position.

BPA should probably drive the round 1 choice. I've been pretty adamant that we don't need a guard in round 1, but to take a popular example, if Dallas grades out Justin Blalock as a top 15 pick and he's the best player at 22, take him and don't look back. It's simple enough. Take the best player (and yes, you need to factor into that whether the player will help us win).

If people then wish to feed the less-than-urgent needs in rounds 2-7, be my guest.

David.

sago1

Reaction score
If we don't sign a quality RG in FA & if consensus within offensive minds that Proctor isn't ready to be the starting RG, then believe we take either a CB in first round or drop down (to pick up extra pick) and select best OG on the board that matches our scheme -- might be Scrubbs rather then Blalock. If we don't use big money to sign a RG we really need, we might pick up a vet (but still young) NT who can spell Ferguson but also possibly succeed him at some point. But don't know if Stanley is realistic possibility or even whether Phillips might consider moving Spears to NT and moving Hatacher into DE spot w/ Ratliff the backup at both ODE positions along with Ellis as a situation pass rusher on occasion.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
wayne_motley;1388717 said:
The highest rated player at WR or OL

I would agree WR or OL. There is always a chance that a top prospect could drop in the draft at another position that may alter our selection but as things stand now these are 2 areas of concern for this season and more importantly for the near future of this club.

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
dwmyers;1388680 said:
If we keep all the critical free agents, we do not have a single *urgent* need. Not one. We have a functional player at every position.

BPA should probably drive the round 1 choice. I've been pretty adamant that we don't need a guard in round 1, but to take a popular example, if Dallas grades out Justin Blalock as a top 15 pick and he's the best player at 22, take him and don't look back. It's simple enough. Take the best player (and yes, you need to factor into that whether the player will help us win).

If people then wish to feed the less-than-urgent needs in rounds 2-7, be my guest.

David.

Agreed. We need to play to the draft's strengths. We've seen what happens when you draft for need. (See David Lafleur) Reaching is the last thing the Cowboys should do, given the current composition of the team. In looking at the strength of this draft (consider that it's befroe Free Agency) and the draft position of the Cowboys, then I would look at CB or WR in round one and then one of the two in round two or at OL. Keep in mind that if a "can't miss" player falls to us at our slot, then it's clearly BPA, regardless of position.The only exception to this is if somebody comes to the cowboys with an incentive (See Herschel Walker ;)) From there on, it's likely to be a crapshoot. I've seen mocks which have us taking Kicker Mason Crosby in round four and a variety of wild and wonderful scenarios. I think that Ireland's strategy last year was an appropriate one which should work to strengthen this team.

Woods

Reaction score
Assuming we re-sign Colombo and get a OG in FA (which I think is possible) . . . .

Either WR or CB would be my top two choices, all things equal.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
OG (Help)
CB (Depth)
NT (Depth)
QB (This would be a #1 concern God forbid Romo goes down.)

I picked CB but we really need an offensive guard to make the offense explode. We could easily put 26+ points on the board per game filling this hole..

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
CB if we're moving Henry to FS. Otherwise, BPA as long as its not a QB, TE, or SS.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ELDudearino;1388832 said:
OG (Help)
CB (Depth)
NT (Depth)
QB (This would be a #1 concern God forbid Romo goes down.)

I picked CB but we really need an offensive guard to make the offense explode. We could easily put 26+ points on the board per game filling this hole..

You realize they averaged 26.6 ppg last year, right? The team needs a guard cuz Rivera has a back that could shatter at any time, but even with him, the 'boys were able to score.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Hard to answer without playing in FA yet which will be no big splash, IMO.

I chose DE but was torn between WR and OL also. Not sure if Ellis will be solid.
Hatcher could possibly amaze some of us with Phillips here. Who knows.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
i think in any draft you pick BPA. and in this draft most likely at the 22 pick, that BPA will be one of the wr's. offensive guard? are u kidding me? there is no guard in this draft worthy of a 1st rd pick. and def not in the middle of the first rd. unless levi brown is there at 22, they wont be picking a OL in rd 1. i think its going to be wr or cb.