Position S

DanA

Reaction score
NFL GMs seem to feel differently. There’s no better way to evaluate the value of a position than where they are drafted and how much money they are paid in free agency.

If they were more valuable, they would literally, be more *valued*

Just an FYI, the average free safety earns almost twice what the average corner does (1.88m vs 3.45m).

And there is a difference between how many were drafted and where they were drafted. There were 18 running backs taken to fill one RB spot on the field. Is that a reflection of their value or the fact that the position is churned because it’s a low value position that’s easy to find talent late the daft?

Last edited:

jnday

Reaction score
Do they?

I think the league sees it differently

There hasn’t been a safety taken in the first round in the past two drafts. There hasn’t been a safety drafted in the top ten since Jamaal Adams 8 years ago.

Other than RB and TE, there hasn’t been a more devalued position over the last decade

I *want* to like the safety position. The image of that fast, ball-hawking, big-hitting roamer across the middle of the field definitely has an appeal to many, me included.

I’m just not sure if it matches the reality of their impact.

it may also be one of those positions where a really good one can be a big difference maker but once you get past the top five guys in the league, they start being a bit indistinguishable.
I think that every team in the league would value a ballhawk safety with good range and cover skills. The FS position has been considered the QB of the defense and I think that most teams values the position. It is clear that Dallas doesn’t value the position and it has limited the defense for years. I certainly value the safety position enough to use a third round pick to trade up in the second and draft a good safety instead of using the pick on a CB that was rated as late round prospect and a huge reach to be drafted in the third round.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We desperately need him to be what he was. He's all we got. He's a very decent player too.
Im honestly very concerned. Granted if not for the achilles he would have gotten a long term deal somewhere. However, he was never a plus athlete to being with, and if he cant move all that well he may be a net negative on the field

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Im honestly very concerned. Granted if not for the achilles he would have gotten a long term deal somewhere. However, he was never a plus athlete to being with, and if he cant move all that well he may be a net negative on the field

I know it's an out there opinion but I really do think Earl Thomas is a Cowboy before we start the season. I could be way off but it makes a lot of sense. People acting like he is done at that age is a joke too. He's got a few years of good football still in him.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know it's an out there opinion but I really do think Earl Thomas is a Cowboy before we start the season. I could be way off but it makes a lot of sense. People acting like he is done at that age is a joke too. He's got a few years of good football still in him.
Wouldn't shock me at all. I could see them wanting to see Kazee going through a couple practices to get an idea of his movement before making a decision.

I wouldnt rule out a trade either. Post draft there are probably a few starting caliber guys a team would move

cffl2323

Reaction score
Of course you want the stud center fielder out there, but there's just not more than a few of them. These are the highest paid safeties(not sure how many true FS's are in there) in the league and it does seems like there's at least some correlation between good safety=good defense. Obviously there's a ton of other factors too.

• 1. Broncos safety Justin Simmons: $15.25 million
  • 2. Cardinals safety Budda Baker: $14.75 million
  • 3. Bears safety Eddie Jackson: $14.6 million
  • 4. Titans safety Kevin Byard: $14.1 million
  • 5. Chiefs safety Tyrann Mathieu: $14 million
  • 5. Commanders safety Landon Collins: $14 million
  • 7. Patriots safety Devin McCourty: $11.5 million
  • 8. Vikings safety Anthony Harris: $11.4 million
  • 9. Browns safety John Johnson: $11.25 million
  • 10. Jets safety Marcus Maye: $10.61 million
  • 10. Saints safety Marcus Williams: $10.61 million
I may be wrong but I think the Steelers use Fitzpatrick at FS and he hasn't gotten paid yet, which is another very good defense.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Of course you want the stud center fielder out there, but there's just not more than a few of them. These are the highest paid safeties(not sure how many true FS's are in there) in the league and it does seems like there's at least some correlation between good safety=good defense. Obviously there's a ton of other factors too.

• 1. Broncos safety Justin Simmons: $15.25 million
  • 2. Cardinals safety Budda Baker: $14.75 million
  • 3. Bears safety Eddie Jackson: $14.6 million
  • 4. Titans safety Kevin Byard: $14.1 million
  • 5. Chiefs safety Tyrann Mathieu: $14 million
  • 5. Commanders safety Landon Collins: $14 million
  • 7. Patriots safety Devin McCourty: $11.5 million
  • 8. Vikings safety Anthony Harris: $11.4 million
  • 9. Browns safety John Johnson: $11.25 million
  • 10. Jets safety Marcus Maye: $10.61 million
  • 10. Saints safety Marcus Williams: $10.61 million
I may be wrong but I think the Steelers use Fitzpatrick at FS and he hasn't gotten paid yet, which is another very good defense.
I think that's another thing....I Think people overrate how good that position is around the league. Would I pay Landon Collins 14 million to start for me? Hell naw....Would I pay Justin Simmons? Hell naw. That's even extreme for Buddha Baker.

Isn't it something though...how many of those teams are the elite teams in the league? I'd say Chiefs for sure....Titans contend every year...

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Thompson and Wilson aren't new faces. One new face at safety that I didn't see on the list is a newbie who may be transitioning from CB, Israel Mukuamu.
Reggie Robinson , last years pick 4 , is still in the mix.

Sydla

Reaction score
Safety is, again, a total cluster----.

They are counting on a guy coming off a serious leg injury to be 100% healthy and go back to his former self. They may have to use another guy, also coming off injury, to play S after they said they brought him in to play LB. The rest of the "new" guys are JAGs, at best.

As for what was already on the roster, Wilson seems to be the only one with some skill. They will then try to convert a college CB to a S (which is fine but don't expect results right away).

cffl2323

Reaction score
I think that's another thing....I Think people overrate how good that position is around the league. Would I pay Landon Collins 14 million to start for me? Hell naw....Would I pay Justin Simmons? Hell naw. That's even extreme for Buddha Baker.

Isn't it something though...how many of those teams are the elite teams in the league? I'd say Chiefs for sure....Titans contend every year...
But about half that list have QB's that wouldn't allow the team to be good if they had the two best safeties in the history of football.

cffl2323

Reaction score
A lot of them have good QB's......
Not trying to argue just for arguing sake, but it's Mahommes on that list then kind of blah. Baker, Tannehill, and Cousins are decent, but the rest of them have mediocre QB's. Jury is still out on Murray and Brees is gone. In the end I was really just trying to see what a good FS does for the defense, cause a good QB is prerequisite number 1 if you want to contend. Purely from a defensive standpoint it does seem like it's common for high end defenses to have at least one good safety.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Do they?

I think the league sees it differently

There hasn’t been a safety taken in the first round in the past two drafts. There hasn’t been a safety drafted in the top ten since Jamaal Adams 8 years ago.

Other than RB and TE, there hasn’t been a more devalued position over the last decade

I *want* to like the safety position. The image of that fast, ball-hawking, big-hitting roamer across the middle of the field definitely has an appeal to many, me included.

I’m just not sure if it matches the reality of their impact.

it may also be one of those positions where a really good one can be a big difference maker but once you get past the top five guys in the league, they start being a bit indistinguishable.

I don't know about that. I think many teams have their guys locked-up. You see that 3 safeties got tagged this year (one tagged the second year in a row). Adams got traded for multiple 1s. Fitzpatrick went for a first & change a few years a ago.

I think teams realize these guys are maybe hard to come by and end up hanging on to talent.