Position Value - TE Lowest of non-Kickers

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by xwalker, Feb 11, 2019.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

38,536 Messages
    34,958 Likes Received
    Based on position value, it might be better to sign a free agent TE and draft a DE or CB or OT and maybe DT.

The Franchise Tag numbers from 2018 are below. This just gives a rough estimate.

Quarterback – $23.189 million
    Defensive End - $17.143 million
    Cornerback $14.975 million
    Linebacker – $14.961 million
    Offensive line – $14.077 million
    Defensive tackle – $13.939 million
    Safety $11.287 million
    Tight end – $9.846 million
    Kicker/Punter – $4.939 million

Mr_437 and Hardline like this.
  2. Mr_437

Mr_437 Well-Known Member

2,095 Messages
    1,918 Likes Received
    Wheres WR?

Plenty of FA TEs too, but too many decent draftables. Maybe DAL goes 4 TEs again.

3. DanA

DanA Well-Known Member

1,022 Messages
    908 Likes Received
    There aren't too many TE's I'd want in free agency. If Brate or Kyle Rudolph are a cap casualty and get cut, then I might be interest. My guess is WR comes in at no.3 at about 15m. Also missing is RB which is probably similar to TE.

4. charron

charron Well-Known Member

2,384 Messages
    2,527 Likes Received
    Shouldn't surprise anyone TE value is so low. Hard to say how that position changes here for us now that Moore will be calling plays. Can our TE's do more and will Moore use them to their potential? It's obviously cheaper to draft a OL, DL, WR, or other skill player and sign a mid level FA TE who is still fairly inexpensive.

5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

51,177 Messages
    79,543 Likes Received
    It's pretty idiotic to make draft decisions based purely on cap concerns. You have to draft to the talent available and if that's a TE you take him.

6. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

9,529 Messages
    3,650 Likes Received
    Very few quality TE's in the league. If you think you have a Gronk, Kelce, Ertz type talent available at #58 you take him.
    Interestingly, all three were drafted after round one.

7. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

11,314 Messages
    8,305 Likes Received
    3 TE set all time records this year
    Teams are using them and those numbers will change but they may be the only position where salaries actually match the production in most offenses

8. DasSchnitzel

DasSchnitzel Well-Known Member

726 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    Agreed. I said elsewhere that at most i could use this as a tiebreaker but I wouldn't build a strategy around it

Risen Star likes this.
  9. xwalker

38,536 Messages
    34,958 Likes Received
    I think that is obvious; although that's true at any position (i.e. Take the non 1st round future All-Pro).

My primary point is don't draft a TE at #58 just because it's a need. Only draft one with a high upside because "good enough" TEs are normally reasonably priced in free agency; whereas barely good enough CBs or pass rushers are still very expensive and better obtained in the draft.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019 at 6:45 PM
  10. xwalker

38,536 Messages
    34,958 Likes Received
    If they "need" a TE then try hard to find one in free agency and then draft the more expensive positions.

11. DasSchnitzel

DasSchnitzel Well-Known Member

726 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from. I disagree that the cap should be used to dictate your draft picks.

A good TE improves your team so if one comes along at the right price in FA or the right round in the draft then pull the trigger.

If you "go hard" at TE, you may end up paying a guy high TE pay. Then, you have a good TE slip to you in the draft but you feel obligated to take a DE that's graded lower.