Position Value - TE Lowest of non-Kickers

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Based on position value, it might be better to sign a free agent TE and draft a DE or CB or OT and maybe DT.

The Franchise Tag numbers from 2018 are below. This just gives a rough estimate.

Quarterback – $23.189 million
Defensive End - $17.143 million
Cornerback $14.975 million
Linebacker – $14.961 million
Offensive line – $14.077 million
Defensive tackle – $13.939 million
Safety $11.287 million
Tight end – $9.846 million
Kicker/Punter – $4.939 million

Mr_437

Reaction score
Wheres WR?

Plenty of FA TEs too, but too many decent draftables. Maybe DAL goes 4 TEs again.

DanA

Reaction score
Wheres WR?

Plenty of FA TEs too, but too many decent draftables. Maybe DAL goes 4 TEs again.

There aren't too many TE's I'd want in free agency. If Brate or Kyle Rudolph are a cap casualty and get cut, then I might be interest. My guess is WR comes in at no.3 at about 15m. Also missing is RB which is probably similar to TE.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Shouldn't surprise anyone TE value is so low. Hard to say how that position changes here for us now that Moore will be calling plays. Can our TE's do more and will Moore use them to their potential? It's obviously cheaper to draft a OL, DL, WR, or other skill player and sign a mid level FA TE who is still fairly inexpensive.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's pretty idiotic to make draft decisions based purely on cap concerns. You have to draft to the talent available and if that's a TE you take him.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Very few quality TE's in the league. If you think you have a Gronk, Kelce, Ertz type talent available at #58 you take him.
Interestingly, all three were drafted after round one.

conner01

Reaction score
3 TE set all time records this year
Teams are using them and those numbers will change but they may be the only position where salaries actually match the production in most offenses

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
It's pretty idiotic to make draft decisions based purely on cap concerns. You have to draft to the talent available and if that's a TE you take him.

Agreed. I said elsewhere that at most i could use this as a tiebreaker but I wouldn't build a strategy around it

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very few quality TE's in the league. If you think you have a Gronk, Kelce, Ertz type talent available at #58 you take him.
I think that is obvious; although that's true at any position (i.e. Take the non 1st round future All-Pro).

My primary point is don't draft a TE at #58 just because it's a need. Only draft one with a high upside because "good enough" TEs are normally reasonably priced in free agency; whereas barely good enough CBs or pass rushers are still very expensive and better obtained in the draft.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. I said elsewhere that at most i could use this as a tiebreaker but I wouldn't build a strategy around it

If they "need" a TE then try hard to find one in free agency and then draft the more expensive positions.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
If they "need" a TE then try hard to find one in free agency and then draft the more expensive positions.

I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from. I disagree that the cap should be used to dictate your draft picks.

A good TE improves your team so if one comes along at the right price in FA or the right round in the draft then pull the trigger.

If you "go hard" at TE, you may end up paying a guy high TE pay. Then, you have a good TE slip to you in the draft but you feel obligated to take a DE that's graded lower.

Verdict

Reaction score

That supports @xwalker's original point. They probably fell due to the positional value. Guards have also historically been devalued, and also RBs. That's changing a little bit recently.