Positions Up for Grab

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I think most of the roster is set. the only roster battles i see:

WR- I think both Rector and Hurd have made it. I think we will keep 6 WR's though so i see it coming down to Green and Copper. Green has shown little but I think he sticks.

LB- Fowler v. Hoyte for the last LB spot. BP really likes Fowler but Hoyte has looked good, especially on ST's. No way he makes it through waivers. IF we can get anything for Fowler in a trade, I think Hoyte makes it.

RT- Columbo is the starter. If McQ is also on the roster, i can't see both Fabini and Pettiti making it. My bet is Fabini is a goner.

NT- Pepper v. Stanley. Pepper makes it and Stanley lands on the practice squad.

TE- Curtis v. Ryan. Curtis has come on strong and has a much greater upside than Ryan.

ratpower

Reaction score
Curtis over Ryan-agreed
Pepper vs Stanley is close.
Skyler is gone unless he breaks one this week. Copper could be gone too.

Fowler gets in over Hoyte though a trade works. The question is if boiman and glymph make it too?

I think Kenyon C. gets cut leaving Spears/Canty/Hatcher with Ellis as the emergency back up...Reeves/Coleman/N. Jones--one or two of them will be gone too.

The problem is when you do the entire team, you won't be able to keep some of these guys on the practice squad. Go back and do your 53 right now and there are going to be some tough decisions...

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
boiman makes it easily for his ST work- glymph goes to the practice squad.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Keeping 6 receivers would be an absolute waste considering we have 2 TEs on the field virtually every single play.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
I don't know if Glymph is eligible for the practice squad. It would be nice if we could package Coleman and Fowler for a pick or player.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
theogt said:
Keeping 6 receivers would be an absolute waste considering we have 2 TEs on the field virtually every single play.

i agree...i think we should only keep 5...TO, Glenn, Crayton, Green, Rector..i think hurd will get the PS since he is eligible. if rector is eligible still he might be.

The only way i think ikt would be good for us to keep 6 is if we cut polite and use one of the TEs as a FB in certain situations...which is what i would do if i were BP.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ratpower said:
Skyler is gone unless he breaks one this week.

There is alot more to returning kicks than breaking one.

Some returns are great if, given the coverage, you get 7 yards. Hell, last year folks were screaming for T-New to return because he was so good in college - he had 10 returns for like a 5 yard average. Worse yet, half his total yards came on a single return. Tell me, does that mean Newman is a bad returner too?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt said:

and the fact that 2 will most likely be inactive every game

VACowboy

Reaction score
I think BP keeps Hoyte, which makes it easier to let Copper go.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
and the fact that 2 will most likely be inactive every game

We gotta remember that we have 2 receivers that can be injured if the wind blows a little too hard. Terry, G. last year was an anomoly in respect to his career and injuries. Crayton, well he's got the Jimmy legs(ankle) and he seems to lose his groove, according to BP. May not be such a bad idea after all? Hurd needs to be playing cause we need the height.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
thats7 said:
We gotta remember that we have 2 receivers that can be injured if the wind blows a little too hard. Terry, G. last year was an anomoly in respect to his career and injuries. Crayton, well he's got the Jimmy legs(ankle) and he seems to lose his groove, according to BP. May not be such a bad idea after all? Hurd needs to be playing cause we need the height.
I simply wouldn't plan my roster around expecting 2 of my top 3 WRs going down. If it happens it happens, but you just can't plan for those types of things.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
thats7 said:

I understand the injury factor, but you only need 5 WRS to cover for that, so that you're only using up 1 roster spot because the 5th WR is inactive, as opposed to 2, and one of the WRs we get rid of, will probably be placed on the PS, to be called up in case of an extreme emergency

Seven

Reaction score
theogt said:
I simply wouldn't plan my roster around expecting 2 of my top 3 WRs going down. If it happens it happens, but you just can't plan for those types of things.

Normally I wouldn't either. But..........This isn't an "if" historically speaking, it's a "when" scenario, unfortunately.(Please forgive my negative thoughts, oh football gods)
I just ain't comfortable with Terry becoming the go to guy when #81 comes to fruition. He'll take the pounding. Can he take the pounding?

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
VACowboy said:
I think BP keeps Hoyte, which makes it easier to let Copper go.
I'm not saying that he won't keep Hoyte...He likes Hoyte. But how does that affect Copper one way or the other when Hoyte is a LB on Defense and Copper is a WR on Offense?

Rector stays IMO. If we cut him he would be snatched up in a heartbeat after the preseason he has had. Green might actually sneak onto the PS considering that he hasn't really done anything yet. I would like to see us have alittle time to develop him but it would be iffy for him to clear waivers. I thought a week or so ago that Hurd was a lock and he may still be. He seems to have hit a wall a little bit as a receivers but he is showing up pretty well on ST; he is always around the ball it seems.

DE will be interesting...Spears, Canty and Hatcher are there for sure. It is likely that Ratliff will make it also but Coleman is one of those journeyman guys that just don't seem to go away. Hopefully we can get something for Coleman and not have to make that choice. While it may seem clear cut to us that we should keep Ratliff, Parcells might see it differently.

Seven

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I understand the injury factor, but you only need 5 WRS to cover for that, so that you're only using up 1 roster spot because the 5th WR is inactive, as opposed to 2, and one of the WRs we get rid of, will probably be placed on the PS, to be called up in case of an extreme emergency

Agree with ya summer. However, with the guys we got I'm afraid they'd be snatched up. May sound crazy but of all the good receivers we got you'd expect there'd be no worries there. For me, I'm concerned that we have a very real possibility of losing two starters(Dear football gods......) on any given play be it practice or game time. I hope I'm just over-reacting.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
I'm not saying that he won't keep Hoyte...He likes Hoyte. But how does that affect Copper one way or the other when Hoyte is a LB on Defense and Copper is a WR on Offense?

I think he's alluding to Special Teams

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
thats7 said:
I hope I'm just over-reacting.

I see your reasoning, but you probably are, since after the top 3 WRs, I don't think the others will be helping us win many games

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I see your reasoning, but you probably are, since after the top 3 WRs, I don't think the others will be helping us win many games
aren't the cowboys planning on starting two 11-year vets at WR?

i'll flat fall out if young guys like hurd and rector don't contribute substantially.

that would mean two geezers (albeit talented geezers) thrashed the injury odds.

i'm not buying it.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I think he's alluding to Special Teams
Ok I get it.

But Copper is a gunner and Hoyte is more of a guy to guard a lane. Still not sure that one will affect the other. IMO Copper's fate is more closely tied to Hurd who has seen some work at Gunner and plays the same position on Offense.