Positions Up for Grab

sago1

Reaction score
I just don't see us keeping 6 WRs. When you pick the 53 man roster, the numbers just can't support it. I think we go with 5 WRs and that will be TO/Glenn/Crayton/Rector/Hurd with Green going to PS (if he makes it thru waivers). Agree that both TO & Glenn could both get injuried (given age & previous injury history) and that's why we need legit WRs. I'd rather go with Rector & Hurd then a guy like Green whose a PT/no way a WR. Rector should become a pretty good PR & we can use TT also as a returner. Hurd working hard to play STs & we've got enough good ST players. Besides a young WR core like Crayton, Rector & Hurd looking promising for the future--unless another team willing to trade one of their good WRs for something we have but willing part with.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
I would agree more with chancing Green to the practice squad before I would Rector or Hurd. Either will be gone if they are released. Both have been shown too much and have performed WELL. One thing to consider, though is that a "claiming" team must at least match the original teams salary. BP has been said to circumvent losing coveted players by paying them a bit more than "claiming" teams are willing to pay and thus being able to keep those players he can't carry on the 53 man roster, but wants to develop.

I think now would be the time to make deep cuts while most rosters are still above the 53 man final. Maybe a better chance to clear waivers. Probably too late for doing much trading (Fowler) this late in the preseason. Teams will probably just wait for the final cut to grab players off those cuts.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
theogt said:
Keeping 6 receivers would be an absolute waste considering we have 2 TEs on the field virtually every single play.

I don't see how you can say that when they're out there trying to trade for one. It's depth in case both TO and Crayton miss a large number of games. What if they both go on IR? You want to go with 3 on the roster? That's not enough.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
I don't see how you can say that when they're out there trying to trade for one. It's depth in case both TO and Crayton miss a large number of games. What if they both go on IR? You want to go with 3 on the roster? That's not enough.
Crayton is already back at practice and when the regular season rolls around Owens hamstring will suddenly feel fine. That's not to say that we couldn't lose a WR to injury; all three of our top WRs have a history of injury now. But you can't set your roster based on that possibility because that possibility exists at every position.

If someone goes on IR our backups will have to do the job and we will bring in some new backups for them; they won't be the best in the world but there will be guys available. And if the backups can't get it done we will have to go make a deal somewhere like we always do. This will be the case regardless because if we do keep 6 one of them will be Green and he is pretty useless as far as being a WR.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think by now all position are set as far as who the starters are at least in Parcells mind.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
Seeking a trade has to do with getting better receivers not keeping more on the roster.

rickster14

Reaction score
ratpower said:
I think Kenyon C. gets cut leaving Spears/Canty/Hatcher with Ellis as the emergency back up...Reeves/Coleman/N. Jones--one or two of them will be gone too.

Don't forget Ratliff as the 4th DE

Reaction score
Yep can't forget about Jay, Hoyte makes it, there are teams lined up to take him if release I know the Packers and Saints are two of them. Green goes to PC

ratpower

Reaction score
abersonc said:
There is alot more to returning kicks than breaking one.

Some returns are great if, given the coverage, you get 7 yards. Hell, last year folks were screaming for T-New to return because he was so good in college - he had 10 returns for like a 5 yard average. Worse yet, half his total yards came on a single return. Tell me, does that mean Newman is a bad returner too?

Well, TNEW actually plays a position besides returner, skyler can't even get a look as a receiver...BP won't waste a place on the squad if Skyler doesn't produce something...Crayton can do what he is doing so far, and I bet if Rector gets some touches this week, he could do the same...and they can catch the ball too