Possible June 1st Cuts

gosuns

Reaction score
There won't be many so-called "cap casualties" after June 1 this year, but here are a few veterans who might get pink slips:

• WR David Patten, Washington: The nine-year veteran signed a five-year, $13 million deal with the Commanders last spring that included a $3.5 million signing bonus. But Patten played in just nine games and posted only 22 receptions for 217 yards, with two touchdowns. The acquisitions of veterans Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El this spring means Patten is probably no better than a No. 4 or No. 5 receiver. And his 2006 base salary of $1.085 million is a little pricey for that role.

• LB Dexter Coakley, St. Louis: With a $1.5 million base salary for 2006, Coakley could find it tough to keep his job if the new Rams staff decides the younger Brandon Chillar is a better fit on the weakside. The classy Coakley is a terrific leader, but he played in just 12 games in 2006 because of injuries and posted only 38 tackles after signing a five-year, $14 million contract.

• DE Bobby Hamilton, Oakland: The 12-year veteran is 34 years old and, while he remains a solid enough player versus the run, the Raiders want to get former first-rounder Tyler Brayton on the field more now that they have ended his experiment at linebacker. Hamilton is due a $1.335 million base salary.
• LB Kailee Wong, Houston: The switch to the 4-3 could hurt Wong, because it means one fewer starting spot, and the Texans have upgraded their depth at the position. Houston signed Wong to a four-year contract extension last summer and his total deal was worth $17.65 million. One consideration: Wong suffered a season-ending patella tendon injury after just five games in 2006, and, for grievance reasons, the Texans might have to wait until he is fully rehabilitated if they choose to release him.

aznhalf

Reaction score
Let's get Coakley back!! We could use him as trade bait for another 2 years:)

Though I would like another Coakley'sque player on the team, guy was a true football player. Hopefully James can fill what he and then Nguyen brought to the team.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
WR David Patten, Washington: The nine-year veteran signed a five-year, $13 million deal with the Commanders last spring that included a $3.5 million signing bonus. But Patten played in just nine games and posted only 22 receptions for 217 yards, with two touchdowns. The acquisitions of veterans Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El this spring means Patten is probably no better than a No. 4 or No. 5 receiver. And his 2006 base salary of $1.085 million is a little pricey for that role.

Wait a minute. This is the super talent that would make the Commanders WR corps great. Or so I was told last year.

1fisher

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Wait a minute. This is the super talent that would make the Commanders WR corps great. Or so I was told last year.

:lmao2: this time next year we'll be saying the same thing about players they signed this year..... archuletta, lloyd, etc......... the skins M/O... cut em' before you have to pay em'.......:laugh1:

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
I doubt that Patten will be released. That cap cost is minimal at best for a proven WR. Although last season he was banged up and couldnt create separation at times, he is still better than most #3 WRs in the league.

Because of the massive raise in the salary cap there wont be many players that are released because of the cap. Players will be released because they arent good enough to earn a roster spot. This year teams have a great opportunity to hold on to depth.

kmd24

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
I doubt that Patten will be released. That cap cost is minimal at best for a proven WR. Although last season he was banged up and couldnt create separation at times, he is still better than most #3 WRs in the league.

Well, which one of Patten, ARE, and Lloyd is the #4 WR in Washington? Any of them is pretty well paid for a #4. Many teams have a developmental player in that spot.

Maybe it's different because the Skins want to run a lot of three WR sets.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
kmd24 said:
Well, which one of Patten, ARE, and Lloyd is the #4 WR in Washington? Any of them is pretty well paid for a #4. Many teams have a developmental player in that spot.

Maybe it's different because the Skins want to run a lot of three WR sets.

I would place Patten as the #4 at this time, but there is no telling what the future may hold as far as injuries. Especially as you say trying to run more 3 WR sets. 1M for a guy that is capable of being a #2 isnt outrageous, IMO.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Exactly!

He's worth "a third" to every team in the league... or was that Rashard Lee? ;)
I thought it was a 4th. Dang, he's more valuable than I thought.