Possible relocation - ElPaso

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I have been offered a job in El Paso, TX handling a firm's WAN. I was curious about the area and if anyone knew if living in El Paso was worth it. What is the cost of living like. How much are the homes in the area?

Any information would help. Thanks.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dallas said:
Hey folks,

I have been offered a job in El Paso, TX handling a firm's WAN. I was curious about the area and if anyone knew if living in El Paso was worth it. What is the cost of living like. How much are the homes in the area?

Any information would help. Thanks.
Hey bro. I was born in Las Cruces, NM just to the north of El Paso. Chief lives there now. I lived there for a year. He can give you a more current opinion than I can. I'll do my best.

It is not Arizona. That is a con. ;)

They televise EVERY Cowboys game on network TV. That is a pro.

Real Mexican food. That is a pro.

It is a border town and that always has perks and pains.

Cost of living is pretty low. You can find a 3 bedroom house in the 100k area most likely. A 4 bedroom home might be 130k or so. I'm talking in middle class neighborhoods for these prices. They might be a tad higher than that now. Not sure.

The roads in El Paso are confusing at first, but once you get them figured it's not so bad. I recommend searching for houses north of I-10 and closer to the mountains if you can. Some really nice homes in that area and good neighborhoods. There are some really good schools in El Paso. I can try and ask what the best school districts are if you want me to.

The downtown area is a little confusing and even a bit dirty in places. Sometimes that gives El Paso a negative grade. That is a con.

If you take the job I will definitely take you out to some great Mexican Food when I make trips to NM to see my Mom. You just have to meet me halfway in Las Cruces. My treat.

Good luck. Let me know if I can research anything for you. I still have folks I can ask in that neck of the woods.

Kendo

Reaction score
I was born and raised in El Paso and loved every minute of it. Having said that I received my undergrad at U of A in Tucson and now reside in Phoenix and would never even think about moving back to El Paso. I do however need to return and visit a couple times a year to get my fix of Mexican food as there is none better in the world IMHOP. Hostile pretty much summed everything else up exactly as it is.

Not sure where you would be moving from but E.P. is definitely going to be different. If you are looking for a job that is going to get you some necessary experience that you cannot get in a bigger market then I would do it as the competition is not as great, however if you have other offers somewhere else I would consider the alternatives. I think that it comes down to where you are from. If you like "big city life" you will most likely hate El Paso, and if you are used to smaller cities you will probably love it. It will also help a lot if you speak Spanish as most of the population is Mexican. (Close to 75% if I remember correctly)

Either way, good luck with your decision and hope everything works out for you. If you decide to move there let me know and I can give you some great tips on where to live, eat, drink, party, etc.....

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Kendo said:
I was born and raised in El Paso and loved every minute of it. Having said that I received my undergrad at U of A in Tucson and now reside in Phoenix and would never even think about moving back to El Paso. I do however need to return and visit a couple times a year to get my fix of Mexican food as there is none better in the world IMHOP. Hostile pretty much summed everything else up exactly as it is.

Not sure where you would be moving from but E.P. is definitely going to be different. If you are looking for a job that is going to get you some necessary experience that you cannot get in a bigger market then I would do it as the competition is not as great, however if you have other offers somewhere else I would consider the alternatives. I think that it comes down to where you are from. If you like "big city life" you will most likely hate El Paso, and if you are used to smaller cities you will probably love it. It will also help a lot if you speak Spanish as most of the population is Mexican. (Close to 75% if I remember correctly)

Either way, good luck with your decision and hope everything works out for you. If you decide to move there let me know and I can give you some great tips on where to live, eat, drink, party, etc.....
Hey Kendo. I am in Tucson and also graduated from UA.

He'd be moving from Alaska.

David

Reaction score
See, he's not so hostile after all. lol Almost got me sold on the idea of moving to El Paso.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I went to Fort Bliss in El Paso for my Basic Training.

I did not get out too much until towards the end of my stay.

It seemed like a nice place with a decent small town feel.

Other posters are correct though.....it does have a very large spanish speaking population due to it being a border town with Juarez (sp?).

Another poster was also dead on when he said that some parts just seem dirty.
I am not talking about the people or condition of buildings or anything....just a dirty look to part of the town...I really can not explain it but when we were driving through parts of the town on the bus (on our way to New Mexico to do our field exercise/brm) many on the bus all commented about the same time when we were passing through some sections....nobody could really pinpoint why we felt it looked dirty.

Oh well For Dallas going from Alaska to El Paso it will be a HUGE change...now I was only in Anchorage for a layover but needless to say it is a big difference.

One thing that I did not see anyone touch on in El Paso...they are at the base of a mountain range...I believe it is the Franklin Mountains.

The coolest part when I was stationed there was the heat lightning in El Paso.

It would not be raining or storm but there would be regular nights of Heat Lightining in the sky. Some times the bolts would streak across the sky and seem like they would last much longer then normal lightning.
It was quite striking and beautiful in a weird way.....I acutally had some pretty wicked pictures of it.

Well Dallas if you do decide to take off and move to El Paso then I wish you the best with your new job and new town.....hey at the very least you are going to get the dallas games without having a satellite the size of a dump truck tire, you will have hot weather, and even if it is a long trip to get to dallas....it still would not be worlds apart like it is now for you.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DallasCowpoke said:
I hear Marty Robbins liked it a lot!! ;)

You know I really do not like country music....but something about that song and some of Marty's other songs that I like...maybe it is that he really does not sound like the standard country singer...I can not explain it.

Water....COOOLLLL.....water

Almost like a country crooner :)

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
Out in the west texas town of El Paso, I fell in love with a..... (the sad part is im only 20, that's supposed to be for old timers) :( Love that song. The best part of moving to El Paso (even though i've never been there) is your in Texas. You know the same state as Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, South Padre Island :D and other great cities. Plus, you get to watch Dallas Cowboys games.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
One thing that I did not see anyone touch on in El Paso...they are at the base of a mountain range...I believe it is the Franklin Mountains.

The coolest part when I was stationed there was the heat lightning in El Paso.

It would not be raining or storm but there would be regular nights of Heat Lightining in the sky. Some times the bolts would streak across the sky and seem like they would last much longer then normal lightning.
It was quite striking and beautiful in a weird way.....I acutally had some pretty wicked pictures of it.
That's where we lived for about a year when I was a kid and my dad was flying for Southwest Aviation. I still remember that it never rained in our front yard and back yard at the same time. It was either one of the other, but never both. I always found that really strange.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Some great response here folks. Thanks for all the information. It will all be taken into consideration as me and my son make a decision on a move.

Thanks again. Dallas

Foo Fighter

Benched
Reaction score
I used to live in El Paso as a young kid. Like alot of young kids, I used to have an affinity for playing with matches. Once while a fellow bad seed and I were walking home from kindergarten, we decided to start a small brush fire along the road home...that turned into a raging inferno in the arid El Paso climate. Luckily, there was a huge stone wall that separated the neighboring development, and we escaped without damage to property or being punished - other than the resulting mental guilt. That was my last experience playing with matches.

Oh, and my first experience playing "doctor" was with the neighbors daughter next door.

That's my El Paso story.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Foo Fighter said:
I used to live in El Paso as a young kid. Like alot of young kids, I used to have an affinity for playing with matches. Once while a fellow bad seed and I were walking home from kindergarten, we decided to start a small brush fire along the road home...that turned into a raging inferno in the arid El Paso climate. Luckily, there was a huge stone wall that separated the neighboring development, and we escaped without damage to property or being punished - other than the resulting mental guilt. That was my last experience playing with matches.

Oh, and my first experience playing "doctor" was with the neighbors daughter next door.

That's my El Paso story.
It was better than mine.

Foo Fighter

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
It was better than mine.

I dunno about that. I was just goofing around, but it's a true story. About as useful as tits on a bull. Someone mentioned El Paso...that's all I had. Crazy **** you do when you're a child.

:D

Go to El Paso, Dallas. There ain't any chicks in Alaska!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Foo Fighter said:
I dunno about that. I was just goofing around, but it's a true story. About as useful as tits on a bull. Someone mentioned El Paso...that's all I had. Crazy **** you do when you're a child.

:D

Go to El Paso, Dallas. There aren't any chicks in Alaska!
LMAO

Trust me any time you play doctor it beats stories about rain.

No debating the fact there are some good looking women in EP. Her name was Leslie and I played college ball with her brother. She looked just like Heather Locklear but telling her that was a serious mistake. Girl had issues. Every one of her EP friends was hot, hot, hot.

Kendo

Reaction score
Dallas said:
Some great response here folks. Thanks for all the information. It will all be taken into consideration as me and my son make a decision on a move.

Thanks again. Dallas

Are there other cities that are possibilities? I think that a move from Alaska to El Paso would definitely broaden your horizens a little bit. El Paso is very different from the NW but I think that you might like it.

Lots of good looking women (especially if you like the latinas)

Cheap land, cheap labor, great food.

YOU GET TO LIVE IN TEXAS

The only negative that I can think of is the fact that the government will not give you a yearly stipend to live there like they do in Alaska.

By the way where are you moving from in Alaska?