Post Combine/Kitna/Brooking Dallas Mock

irvin4evs

Benched
Reaction score
Alright. I have definitely given up on the Mitch King dream. I doubt we have any interest in him, unfortunately.

Anyway, again, I think we trade up. 11 draft picks is too many. We should trade our two non-comp 5th rounders and our 4th rounder to move into the bottom of the 3rd/top of the 4th, and do something like this.

_

2nd round: Rashad Johnson, FS Alabama 5'11, 200
-Chung, Delmas and Smith are gone by now, IMO, but Johnson is still a great value here. Some are saying Hamlin should play FS, but 8 INTs with the 2nd best passrush is a big problem, and Johnson helps us there.

3rd round (Cleveland): Jason Phillips, ILB TCU 6'1, 239

-Competes with Brooking for playing time. Reportedly a motor/fighter type, which we need.

4th round (Detroit): Terrance Taylor, NT Michigan 6'0 310

-He's the prototypical 3-4 NT. It allows to play Ratliff all along the front 3-4--not just as NT. Rat can still start but Taylor allows him to rest or move around.

early 4th round (hypothetical trade): David Veikune, LB Hawaii 6'2 257
-This one might be a bit of a stretch, but it's the kind of pick we like to make in the 4th. He's a super quick, aggressive player and did 35 225 lifts. He only ran a 4.86, but he might be a good project at either LB spot.

5th round (comp): Mohamed Massaquoi, WR Georgia 6'2 195

-An impressive physical specimen with good intangibles with questionable hands. Sounds like Miles Austin a few years ago.

6th round (Miami): Marlon Favorite, DT LSU 6'1 310
-Put him at NT and DE. Supposedly a good character type.

6th round (comp): Jahi Word-Daniels, CB Georgia Tech 6'0 197
-Can always use more

7th round (Detroit): Matt Slauson, G/T Nebraska 6'5 310

-Brings new competition to potentially two spots

7th round (Comp): Garret Reynolds, T North Carolina 6'8 310
-A project at one of the tackle spots

RamziD

Reaction score
irvin4evs;2662105 said:
Alright. I have definitely given up on the Mitch King dream. I doubt we have any interest in him, unfortunately.

Anyway, again, I think we trade up. 11 draft picks is too many. We should trade our two non-comp 5th rounders and our 4th rounder to move into the bottom of the 3rd/top of the 4th, and do something like this.

_

2nd round: Rashad Johnson, FS Alabama 5'11, 200
-Chung, Delmas and Smith are gone by now, IMO, but Johnson is still a great value here. Some are saying Hamlin should play FS, but 8 INTs with the 2nd best passrush is a big problem, and Johnson helps us there.

3rd round (Cleveland): Jason Phillips, ILB TCU 6'1, 239
-Competes with Brooking for playing time. Reportedly a motor/fighter type, which we need.

4th round (Detroit): Terrance Taylor, NT Michigan 6'0 310
-He's the prototypical 3-4 NT. It allows to play Ratliff all along the front 3-4--not just as NT. Rat can still start but Taylor allows him to rest or move around.

early 4th round (hypothetical trade): David Veikune, LB Hawaii 6'2 257
-This one might be a bit of a stretch, but it's the kind of pick we like to make in the 4th. He's a super quick, aggressive player and did 35 225 lifts. He only ran a 4.86, but he might be a good project at either LB spot.

5th round (comp): Mohamed Massaquoi, WR Georgia 6'2 195
-An impressive physical specimen with good intangibles with questionable hands. Sounds like Miles Austin a few years ago.

6th round (Miami): Marlon Favorite, DT LSU 6'1 310
-Put him at NT and DE. Supposedly a good character type.

6th round (comp): Jahi Word-Daniels, CB Georgia Tech 6'0 197
-Can always use more

7th round (Detroit): Matt Slauson, G/T Nebraska 6'5 310
-Brings new competition to potentially two spots

7th round (Comp): Garret Reynolds, T North Carolina 6'8 310
-A project at one of the tackle spots

Johnson and Phillips.. not bad. Would rather see us sign Sean Jones in FA. Next 7 picks would make me cry...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I know I'm the Phillips mark around here, but here something I hadn't seen posted before.

The entire article from last summer, about workout warriors (but not workout-only guys who can't play), is here. Maybe someone would want to post it, though only a few of the ten guys are draft-eligible this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=feldman_bruce&id=3420212

10. Jason Phillips, TCU, LB: A three-time All-Mountain West Conference selection, the 234-pound Phillips, a former high school QB, has a squat of 710 pounds, a power clean of 410 pounds and a bench press of 450 pounds. Coaches love the guy's toughness, which was shown in a recent team poster he posed in. According to a school publicist, the shot was to capture football in its essence. The photographer said the only thing missing from the intensity of Phillips' face was a little blood. Phillips said, "No problem." He grabbed a small knife from the training room and nicked a scab on top of his nose to provide the blood needed for the shot.

Just Missed the Cut: Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech, DE; Marcus Thigpen, Indiana, RB; Arist Wright, Kansas, LB; Greg Hardy, Ole Miss, DE-WR; Jacques McClendon, Tennessee, OG; Lydon Murtha, Nebraska, OT; Vontae Davis, Illinois, CB; Brannan Southerland, Georgia, FB; and Cody Hughes, W. Kentucky, OG.

Bruce Feldman is a senior writer with ESPN The Magazine. His new book, "Meat Market: Inside the Smash-Mouth World of College Football Recruiting," is on sale now.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2662912 said:
I know I'm the Phillips mark around here, but here something I hadn't seen posted before.

The entire article from last summer, about workout warriors (but not workout-only guys who can't play), is here. Maybe someone would want to post it, though only a few of the ten guys are draft-eligible this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=feldman_bruce&id=3420212

I think everyone likes Phillips to some extent.

My concern is I am not sure he is a WILB for passing downs.

He is a straight ahead bulldog not a coverage guy. His hips looked awfully stiff in combine drills.

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
my mock kills your mock

With Ron Brace and Duke Robinson gone

2nd #51s value is at FS/SS
Sean Smith/ Louis Delmar/ Patrick Chung-which ever falls. Predictable I know
but there it is.

3rd #69 was thinking Herman Johnson here, but Dallas goes
with DT Sammie Lee Hill 6'4 328. Might be a better fit for Wades 3-4 Small school guy. Right round and place. Quick and has good bulk.
Ratliffe moves to DE.

4th #97 finally get a guard with some size Dallas will need it facing NY and DC. OG Louis Vasquez 6'6 335 strength to help stabalize the weak link LOG.

4th #113 Dallas goes WR and takes Mike Wallace. 4.33 6' 200. Showed what he's got at the Senior bowl. Dallas gets that strike of lightening that's been missing.

5th #148 Dallas takes Tony Fiammetta FB 6'1 245 4.61 a player with the
right kind of team attitude. A true FB to add.

5th #158 Dallas takes another guard with size as back up material.
Ray Feinga 6'5 337. The Proctor, Berger and Kosier days are in the
rearview.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
kind of high for Taylor, but I like it

Veikune is terribly underrated, Mike Mayock said that he had the best 10-yard split of any Dlineman at the Combine, ran a respectable 4.87 40 yard dash, and benched 225, 36 times, I would love to land him