Post Draft Analysis

cnuball21

Reaction score
I suppose that first sentence is a somewhat begrudging concession. The stats/metrics were that we couldn't run the ball because of long yardage downs and despite having CeeDee and Amari it's extremely difficult to break down the SF defense IF IT SITS IN COVERAGE.
Post draft, we're a better receiving team with Cooks and even Schoonmaker improving speed from TE....but more importantly we appear to have schematic improvements to help the running game (which I suppose the FO didn't see coming from Torrance/Bradford).
Well yea, you get into long yardage down when the OL plays awful and you can’t run the ball. Then the OL gets whooped in pass pass pro and you can’t stop the run.

Correct - that’s why we lost the 1st game.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
The Cowboys went into the draft with offensive playmakers being the biggest reason we didn’t make a playoff run.

I could break down each pick but to make it short and sweet we drafted a pass blocking TE, a 5’5 RB (who I do like) and a 7th round WR.

Incredibly disappointing IMO. I always talk about talent over need, but if you’re going to reach I at least wish we would’ve done it more so on offensive play makers early and often.
Yeah I think there be a lot of people that would agree with the lid down of the draft. I’ve reconsidered it though and I think Mozzy Smith is a great selection. The second round pick I know what they wanted but I would’ve gone another direction. I think my take is most of us have the same idea about offensive Focus but I had other ideas and I don’t know enough do you know one way or the other

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yeah I think there be a lot of people that would agree with the lid down of the draft. I’ve reconsidered it though and I think Mozzy Smith is a great selection. The second round pick I know what they wanted but I would’ve gone another direction. I think my take is most of us have the same idea about offensive Focus but I had other ideas and I don’t know enough do you know one way or the other
Yea, I’m fine with Mazi in the 1st. I would’ve gone Smith / Murphy but with them leaning more need than I can get on board.

It’s everything after that that just frustrates me.

Blitzen

Reaction score
There were a ton of options in the 2nd to take a WR rated about a full round ahead of Schoon. Or if we waited in the 3rd still good options. Or in the 4th…just freaking try.

Our FO is pretending Dak is Mahomes while not giving him the weapons almost every playoff team has.
They’re banking on him playing perfect (Philly / Bucs) in order for us to make a playoff run and it’s not sustainable. Yes, he didn’t play well against SF but our offensive roster also wasn’t equipped to make a run if he didn’t play top notch. Meanwhile Hurtz complete like 11 passes to beat them the next week.
They obviously are not wanting to gear the offense around the deep passing game. They will do shallow and intermediate routes mostly.

cnuball21

Reaction score
They obviously are not wanting to gear the offense around the deep passing game. They will do shallow and intermediate routes mostly.
And if that’s the case great…we could’ve drafted a guy that can help us a lot on those routes too.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
And if that’s the case great…we could’ve drafted a guy that can help us a lot on those routes too.
That's Cooks. We like our WR's (well most of the roster) that provides flex. As Isaiah Stanback was shouting yesterday.....we arent going to be playing 4 man (or many 3 man) WR sets.
We know you like the pass game, but that's going to be reined in.

cnuball21

Reaction score
That's Cooks. We like our WR's (well most of the roster) that provides flex. As Isaiah Stanback was shouting yesterday.....we arent going to be playing 4 man (or many 3 man) WR sets.
We know you like the pass game, but that's going to be reined in.
And could’ve added more firepower - we probably do “like our guys” per the usual but risky business IMO banking for a team that should be all in.

I don’t just “like the pass game” I like to win. The best playoff teams are loaded at weapons. I’d like to see us try and keep up.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
And could’ve added more firepower - we probably do “like our guys” per the usual but risky business IMO banking for a team that should be all in.

I don’t just “like the pass game” I like to win. The best playoff teams are loaded at weapons. I’d like to see us try and keep up.
That's a bit negative and considering Cooks is a big addition and with Gallup as a WR3, we aren't as far behind as you're portraying.
Indeed, Dak is more comfortable throwing to TE and the slot (which you do correctly mention in Beasley).....both options have been improved in the offseason.
Your views just seem a tad myopic and possibly more suited to a gameplan for a gunslinging QB.....rather than the game manager we've got.

cnuball21

Reaction score
That's a bit negative and considering Cooks is a big addition and with Gallup as a WR3, we aren't as far behind as you're portraying.
Indeed, Dak is more comfortable throwing to TE and the slot (which you do correctly mention in Beasley).....both options have been improved in the offseason.
Your views just seem a tad myopic and possibly more suited to a gameplan for a gunslinging QB.....rather than the game manager we've got.
Cooks is a massive addition…I just don’t know if it’s enough. And I think i’ve been pretty vocal about not being high on Gallup…pre or post injury. He’s never been a good separator…ever.

And I don’t know if we have improved the TE position. We drafted an athletic run blocking TE that didn’t have a lot of production in college and it’s usually a position that takes a few years to click in the NFL.

I don’t want Dak to be a gunslinger, I just want to surround him with offensive talent similar to that of all tier 2 QBs that have had playoff success recently.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Cooks is a massive addition…I just don’t know if it’s enough. And I think i’ve been pretty vocal about not being high on Gallup…pre or post injury. He’s never been a good separator…ever.

And I don’t know if we have improved the TE position. We drafted an athletic run blocking TE that didn’t have a lot of production in college and it’s usually a position that takes a few years to click in the NFL.

I don’t want Dak to be a gunslinger, I just want to surround him with offensive talent similar to that of all tier 2 QBs that have had playoff success recently.
Cooks not enough, massive upgrade at WR2 over a receiver 8 months away from ACL surgery and Gallup (a year removed from surgury) is, if you look at it objectively, a BIG improvement on Noah at WR3.

Of course we've improved the TE position, RAS, the talking heads and McClay all claim he was under utilized in the passing game because of the Michigan scheme.

You're coming across as being reactionary because the FO don't have the same outlook as yourself.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Cooks not enough, massive upgrade at WR2 over a receiver 8 months away from ACL surgery and Gallup (a year removed from surgury) is, if you look at it objectively, a BIG improvement on Noah at WR3.

Of course we've improved the TE position, RAS, the talking heads and McClay all claim he was under utilized in the passing game because of the Michigan scheme.

You're coming across as being reactionary because the FO don't have the same outlook as yourself.
Improving from Noah Brown as our number 3 isn’t enough…he might not be on the active roster for some teams in the NFL.

And everything you’re saying about the TE position is projection, again, on a position that traditionally takes time for young players to hit their stride.

And yea, I’m sorry for not being overly optimistic about eating up what the FO is feeding us. I stopped buying what they’re selling a loooooooong time ago due to our lack of playoff success.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Improving from Noah Brown as our number 3 isn’t enough…he might not be on the active roster for some teams in the NFL.

And everything you’re saying about the TE position is projection, again, on a position that traditionally takes time for young players to hit their stride.

And yea, I’m sorry for not being overly optimistic about eating up what the FO is feeding us. I stopped buying what they’re selling a loooooooong time ago due to our lack of playoff success.
This discussion isn't centered around the Jones, and actually this is the least Jones Draft (and off season) for some time .....an actual realisation that it's not all about the money positions and that improving the fundamentals (of an already good roster) may well increase chances of success.

cnuball21

Reaction score
This discussion isn't centered around the Jones, and actually this is the least Jones Draft (and off season) for some time .....an actual realisation that it's not all about the money positions and that improving the fundamentals (of an already good roster) may well increase chances of success.
Yea, we’ll see.

IMO Dak is going to have to once again play at an unworldy level all year for us to have a chance.

I’m a Dak fan, but that isn’t a good recipe for a Super Bowl IMO.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yea, we’ll see.

IMO Dak is going to have to once again play at an unworldy level all year for us to have a chance.

I’m a Dak fan, but that isn’t a good recipe for a Super Bowl IMO.
Well the Bucc's win was attributed to Dak, but also Schultz and TY played well.
The issue last year was a mix of QB and substandard WR... however how many passing yards did they average (ex Rush games).
With what we've got (the flexibility and less predictability of Moore), is sufficient, especially based on a more effective (and again less predictable) running game.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Well the Bucc's win was attributed to Dak, but also Schultz and TY played well.
The issue last year was a mix of QB and substandard WR... however how many passing yards did they average (ex Rush games).
With what we've got (the flexibility and less predictability of Moore), is sufficient, especially based on a more effective (and again less predictable) running game.
Yup - and Schultz and TY aren’t on the roster anymore. Heck I’d be happy to bring TY back if it meant he’d have a chance to compete for MGs role. The O was not good with Rush. Fortunately we played our best defense of the season to cover for him.

And if Big Mike really wants to run the ball more cool. So why didn’t you address OL and RB earlier?

Whether you’re the more weapons crowd or run the ball more crowd I don’t really see how you can get overly excited about the draft.