Post Draft Eval

cnuball21

Reaction score
Now that the dust has settled on the draft we are able to evaluate the class as a whole. This year was just very meh to me. It started in FA, when IMO we did a very poor job of filling gaping holes heading into the draft. This forced us to reach for need early and often as we basically HAD to draft an OG, WR, DE and TE in no particular order. I really like the players I just feel we did a poor job of maximinzing value this year. Our best work was day 3 IMO.

1 - Tyler Smith - OG: Love the nasty demenaor and toughness he plays with. Stud run blocker that is just very raw with technique which leads to a lot of penalties and struggles in pass protection. IMO we just took him too early and a lot of the major draft analysts agreed as shown by big board rankings below:

- TDN: 59
- PFF: 25
- ESPN: 33
- Kiper: 33
- McShay: 33
- Lance Z: 2nd round
- Daniel Jeremiah: 42
- Matt Miller: 42
- Average: 38

2. Sam Williams - DE: Solid 1st step and closing speed with ok bend. Another player who is fairly raw technique wise that has a LONG way to go in run defense to become an every down player. Another reach IMO and sharing similiar rankings below:

- TDN: 73
- PFF: 91
- ESPN: 99
- Kiper: 125
- McShay: 99
- Lance Z: 3rd+
- Daniel Jeremiah: 80
- Matt Miller: 81
- Average: 91

3. Jalen Tolber- WR: Favorite pick of the draft. Small school stud WR that possesses NFL size / length and athleticism. Inside / outside flex that posesses quick feet and + route running for a smaller school player. Didn't shy away from bigger competition as he balled out against TN and how a strong Sr Bowl. Think he has potential to turn into a solid #2 WR.

4. Jake Ferguson - TE: Hated to see Kolar go right before our pick but Ferguson is a solid TE prospect. Not a + athlete but I love how he catches the ball away from his body and shows some pretty impressive catch radius. I think he can be a chain mover and help in the redzone and be able to replace Schultz once he becomes a better blocker.

5. Matt Waletzko - OT: Small school OT with +atlheticiscm. RAS score was through the rough. Tools /traits to develop into a backup as I think Ball from last year is a better prospect.

5. Daron Bland - CB: DQ special. Size / length player with straight line speed to develop.

5. Damone Clark - LBr: LOVE this pick. One of my favorite LBr prospects pre-injury as I thought he was well balanced and would bring some physicality to the LBr corp as someone that can actually play through trash. Hate that he got injured but hoping for a 100% recovery as I think he can be a starting MLB for us.

5. John Ridgeway - DT: Another great mid round pickup. Solid 2 down NT that can pair up with Big Bohanna from last year to hopefully help us be more physical and inmprove the run D.

6. Devin Harper - LBr: Speed merchant LBr that will be a special teamer that will compete to develop into backup LBr.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Now that the dust has settled on the draft we are able to evaluate the class as a whole. This year was just very meh to me. It started in FA, when IMO we did a very poor job of filling gaping holes heading into the draft. This forced us to reach for need early and often as we basically HAD to draft an OG, WR, DE and TE in no particular order. I really like the players I just feel we did a poor job of maximinzing value this year. Our best work was day 3 IMO.

1 - Tyler Smith - OG: Love the nasty demenaor and toughness he plays with. Stud run blocker that is just very raw with technique which leads to a lot of penalties and struggles in pass protection. IMO we just took him too early and a lot of the major draft analysts agreed as shown by big board rankings below:

2. Sam Williams - DE: Solid 1st step and closing speed with ok bend. Another player who is fairly raw technique wise that has a LONG way to go in run defense to become an every down player. Another reach IMO and sharing similiar rankings below:

3. Jalen Tolber- WR: Favorite pick of the draft. Small school stud WR that possesses NFL size / length and athleticism. Inside / outside flex that posesses quick feet and + route running for a smaller school player. Didn't shy away from bigger competition as he balled out against TN and how a strong Sr Bowl. Think he has potential to turn into a solid #2 WR.

4. Jake Ferguson - TE: Hated to see Kolar go right before our pick but Ferguson is a solid TE prospect. Not a + athlete but I love how he catches the ball away from his body and shows some pretty impressive catch radius. I think he can be a chain mover and help in the redzone and be able to replace Schultz once he becomes a better blocker.

5. Matt Waletzko - OT: Small school OT with +atlheticiscm. RAS score was through the rough. Tools /traits to develop into a backup as I think Ball from last year is a better prospect.

5. Daron Bland - CB: DQ special. Size / length player with straight line speed to develop.

5. Damone Clark - LBr: LOVE this pick. One of my favorite LBr prospects pre-injury as I thought he was well balanced and would bring some physicality to the LBr corp as someone that can actually play through trash. Hate that he got injured but hoping for a 100% recovery as I think he can be a starting MLB for us.

5. John Ridgeway - DT: Another great mid round pickup. Solid 2 down NT that can pair up with Big Bohanna from last year to hopefully help us be more physical and inmprove the run D.

6. Devin Harper - LBr: Speed merchant LBr that will be a special teamer that will compete to develop into backup LBr.
Overall Id the negative is they could have had better value at some spots, and been more aggressive. The positive being I dont think they wasted a pick either.

Its going to come to how well they can get Smith ready to play in the NFL, and how soon Williams start taking snaps away from Armstrong and Basham.

I give them a very good chance of hitting a 3 starter threshold for a solid draft. So-so chance of hitting in 4 starters for a good draft

RonWashington

Reaction score
Harper adds some much needed depth at LB as we saw when Cox got injured maybe Harper replaces Gifford as next man up option .

Tollbert is real will help immediately as Gallup on the mend

Hope Tyler Smith claims the guard spot for yrs to come solidify with Martin the guard position . Cowboys possibly explore other options when 77 retires or is injured .

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This year was just very meh to me. It started in FA, when IMO we did a very poor job of filling gaping holes heading into the draft.
If that is what you expected to happen, then your expectations were wrong.

We all know by now how this front office operates in FA.

Gaede

Reaction score
I think we probably got some good role players with Williams, Tolbert, and Ferguson.

Smith will make or break the draft. I'm not sure how ready he is to start, but he needs to play right away, and play well. Love the way he plays and the character/intelligence. Just need to see it on the field. I'm not sure if any of the others are starters. Perhaps over time, but not this year I think.

Not particularly hopefully for the rest of the players, but hitting on Clark would be huge. Ridgeway was a solid 5th rounder.

Mcduff2

Reaction score

Jerry stated “Wally was probably the swing tackle, they would entertain playing two big bodies inside so Ridgeway is in, the first four will start at least some games this year or in top packages. With our LSU stash, probably at least five starters within three years if not sooner. However, in Ron Wolf form, all the picks had major traits and a chance to not only make the squad but develop and be positive contributors.
Zero head scratchers. This is how to build and reload a team.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Overall Id the negative is they could have had better value at some spots, and been more aggressive. The positive being I dont think they wasted a pick either.

Its going to come to how well they can get Smith ready to play in the NFL, and how soon Williams start taking snaps away from Armstrong and Basham.

I give them a very good chance of hitting a 3 starter threshold for a solid draft. So-so chance of hitting in 4 starters for a good draft

I agree. If Smith is good that’s be huge. It’s just really hard for me to get excited about him in the 1st be was slated to go quite a bit lower. We’re also trying to get better with penalties and he was one of the most penalized players in CFB last year. If you’re going to take a in the first, you just can’t miss due to positional value.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think we probably got some good role players with Williams, Tolbert, and Ferguson.

Smith will make or break the draft. I'm not sure how ready he is to start, but he needs to play right away, and play well. Love the way he plays and the character/intelligence. Just need to see it on the field. I'm not sure if any of the others are starters. Perhaps over time, but not this year I think.

Not particularly hopefully for the rest of the players, but hitting on Clark would be huge. Ridgeway was a solid 5th rounder.

I actually think Tolbert, Ferguson and Clark (if healthy recovery) can all be starters for us which is great. The others we took can become potential role players like you mentioned.

Have to hit on Smith and in the 2nd i’m looking for more than a situational pass rusher which i what i think Williams will be.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I actually think Tolbert, Ferguson and Clark (if healthy recovery) can all be starters for us which is great. The others we took can become potential role players like you mentioned.

Have to hit on Smith and in the 2nd i’m looking for more than a situational pass rusher which i what i think Williams will be.

Ferguson will compliment Schultz but I expect a franchised tag player to be the number one option at TE .

cnuball21

Reaction score
Ferguson will compliment Schultz but I expect a franchised tag player to be the number one option at TE .

Well Schultz will be the number 1 option next year just like he was the previous season.

Ferguson is a similar prospect to what Schultz was so think he can develop into a starter.

rambo2

Reaction score
If that is what you expected to happen, then your expectations were wrong.

We all know by now how this front office operates in FA.
I think that the front office is doing a good job. It looks to me that they are making the roster younger which will pay off in the long run. They got rid of some bad apples, some were intentional and one was luck in losing Gregory. It looks like they added some tough physical guys in this draft. They all have upside. They got lucky in that guys like Tolbert and Ferguson wee still on the board when they picked. I think that the Cowboys have an advantage at receiver in that they have good ones that are cheap and can keep drafting in the future. The cap is now turning around for them and they now can pretty much sign whoever they want to going forward.

Croomraider

Reaction score
I totally agree that the entire draft felt very need based and also agree that our FO put us in that situation with a lazy off season.

I think with Tyler Smith it was just how the board broke down. I thought Kenyon Green would go in the second round not 15th overall. Zion Johnson at 17 whom would have been a great fit for us. Then Penning off the board right after at 19.

I think Tyler Smith will be great soon enough but you have to wonder how they never considered taking Linderbaum. Even if Biadasz can only play center, oh well lol, he can be a backup, the center position is crucial for stabilizing the interior front and we had the pick drop right to us. With that said, I don't think Tyler Smith would have been there at 56.

Sam Williams might be the name we all remember by the end of this. He had some serious production. It's crazy to think other teams have to worry Williams and Parsons might be coming at you at any moment, or even both coming at you lol.

We needed a kicker, every year and we never pull the trigger. However, York went in the 4th! lol super high.

I think corner will become the need focus of 2023, especially if we don't bring back brown after next season and bossman gets cut at some point, which could happen.

rambo2

Reaction score
I totally agree that the entire draft felt very need based and also agree that our FO put us in that situation with a lazy off season.

I think with Tyler Smith it was just how the board broke down. I thought Kenyon Green would go in the second round not 15th overall. Zion Johnson at 17 whom would have been a great fit for us. Then Penning off the board right after at 19.

I think Tyler Smith will be great soon enough but you have to wonder how they never considered taking Linderbaum. Even if Biadasz can only play center, oh well lol, he can be a backup, the center position is crucial for stabilizing the interior front and we had the pick drop right to us. With that said, I don't think Tyler Smith would have been there at 56.

Sam Williams might be the name we all remember by the end of this. He had some serious production. It's crazy to think other teams have to worry Williams and Parsons might be coming at you at any moment, or even both coming at you lol.

We needed a kicker, every year and we never pull the trigger. However, York went in the 4th! lol super high.

I think corner will become the need focus of 2023, especially if we don't bring back brown after next season and bossman gets cut at some point, which could happen.
They got a kicker. Garibay from Texas Tech.

Landryhat73

Reaction score

Agree with Smith and the board. I’m guessing Jerry is telling a little lie with having Smith over Green and Johnson. Although I think it was early, can’t think of anyone else I wouldn’t of taken at 24. There was a severe drop at both the guard and tackle spot after Smith and he can play both. A trade up would have costed either Williams or Tolbert.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Agree with Smith and the board. I’m guessing Jerry is telling a little lie with having Smith over Green and Johnson. Although I think it was early, can’t think of anyone else I wouldn’t of taken at 24. There was a severe drop at both the guard and tackle spot after Smith and he can play both. A trade up would have costed either Williams or Tolbert.

There's a laundry list of dudes I would've taken at 24 over Smith.

Karlaftis
J Johnson (barring no off the field iussues)
Linerbaum
Lloyd
Dax Hill
Ebiketie

Going back to original post, these are all players that consisteny were in the 1st round on big boards where Smith was not. They also all fill position of need so it's not like we're going crazy here with BPA and drafting a RB.

rambo2

Reaction score
There's a laundry list of dudes I would've taken at 24 over Smith.

Karlaftis
J Johnson (barring no off the field iussues)
Linerbaum
Lloyd
Dax Hill
Ebiketie

Going back to original post, these are all players that consisteny were in the 1st round on big boards where Smith was not. They also all fill position of need so it's not like we're going crazy here with BPA and drafting a RB.
You can look at Smith and see that he should be an upgrade over Williams at left guard. They needed to take him.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
This organization is too draft dependent. With that said, this team got 2 players they wanted in Smith and Williams. Privately worked them out. When the season starts, where will these guys be on the depth chart ? I believe Smith is going to be the starter. This team has a plan for Williams. I just hope the kid doesn’t ruin his opportunity. The talent is e evident. But we keep going to bat for these dudes. Hope it works out.