Post draft free agency

Verdict

Reaction score
You guys are getting all up in arms about signing free agents. I get it to some degree but it's just starting. The prices will drop as cap room gets used up on the big signings.

Moreover, once the draft is over there will be around 200+ more players getting the axe to make room for the draft picks and fresh crop of UDFAs. This will be the second wave of free agency and often times this is where good players get acquired for a relative bargain.

There is really no reason to get crazy and overpay. I would sort of like to see Tank get traded while there is still plenty of cap money floating around and so we can get a first rounder back in this year's draft class. Otherwise there really isn't much to get all bent out of shape about so far.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This team might have paid for one higher end FA in ET...beyond him I am not pretty sure, nothing earth shattering here, that they were not going or attempt to sign any top FAs.

IF...and this is a big IF some top end FA for some reason keeps staying out there...maybe at a greatly reduced price but I think most of them are pretty much gone.

What they will look at now is lower end FAs who are either depth guys or have some future upside they think they can get out of them but still on the cheaper side.
They might look at a guy that was a higher end draft pick they liked coming out of college but just did not, to this point, really pan out so they become a cheap FA or trade person (Ogbah of the browns might be this type of person).

But it is going to be low pay deals for this team as they did not get the one guy they probably had interset in with ET. Beyond that they will only pay for what they know and that is their own players.

You might get lucky and get a lower priced guy and he turns out to be have a career type year here, ala Laurent Robinson but chances are you are just going to get depth and or rotational guys.

It's just the way they are now.

And whining and moaning about it every off season is not going to change it.

Sydla

Reaction score
You guys are getting all up in arms about signing free agents. I get it to some degree but it's just starting. The prices will drop as cap room gets used up on the big signings.

Moreover, once the draft is over there will be around 200+ more players getting the axe to make room for the draft picks and fresh crop of UDFAs. This will be the second wave of free agency and often times this is where good players get acquired for a relative bargain.

There is really no reason to get crazy and overpay. I would sort of like to see Tank get traded while there is still plenty of cap money floating around and so we can get a first rounder back in this year's draft class. Otherwise there really isn't much to get all bent out of shape about so far.

Sure, there will be players laying around post draft, etc. But in many cases, those guys are back end of the roster types, not the kind of guys that you can land and then immediately plug into a starting role or make a big impact.

And note, I am not saying we shouldn't do that. This team absolutely could use some depth at some positions and bring in some back up types.

I will also give you a like simply because you once again worked an anti-Tank angle into one of your threads. Well done!

Mr_437

Reaction score
I'm chilling cause I know how DAL moves in FA, for the record.

Question: Your saying, trade the best defensive player on the team for a 1st round draft pick and to have money for some veteran released by his former team as a cap casualty in June?

If that's the case, I trust Tank more than this teams ability to replace his production.

Verdict

Reaction score
This team might have paid for one higher end FA in ET...beyond him I am not pretty sure, nothing earth shattering here, that they were not going or attempt to sign any top FAs.

IF...and this is a big IF some top end FA for some reason keeps staying out there...maybe at a greatly reduced price but I think most of them are pretty much gone.

What they will look at now is lower end FAs who are either depth guys or have some future upside they think they can get out of them but still on the cheaper side.
They might look at a guy that was a higher end draft pick they liked coming out of college but just did not, to this point, really pan out so they become a cheap FA or trade person (Ogbah of the browns might be this type of person).

But it is going to be low pay deals for this team as they did not get the one guy they probably had interset in with ET. Beyond that they will only pay for what they know and that is their own players.

You might get lucky and get a lower priced guy and he turns out to be have a career type year here, ala Laurent Robinson but chances are you are just going to get depth and or rotational guys.

It's just the way they are now.

And whining and moaning about it every off season is not going to change it.

According to some people on this board, DEs don't come into their own for 3 to 4 years. If that's the case Ogbah should be starting to turn the corner in the same way we expect Taco to.

This is the kind of player that if you believed in him at draft time you should be watching his tape really closely to see if you see flashes of ability and offer up a late round pick (5-7th) and see what happens. The other team has used the pick and the roster space on him for a year or two and he should theoretically be ready to get that 3rd year bump in production. Same situation as Taco.

If you liked Taco in the first as a project you should probably be all in on Ogbah for a late round pick.

Verdict

Reaction score
Sure, there will be players laying around post draft, etc. But in many cases, those guys are back end of the roster types, not the kind of guys that you can land and then immediately plug into a starting role or make a big impact.

And note, I am not saying we shouldn't do that. This team absolutely could use some depth at some positions and bring in some back up types.

I will also give you a like simply because you once again worked an anti-Tank angle into one of your threads. Well done!

These guys are more likely to be bargains in terms of 1. No draft capital and 2. Cap hit. The hard part is finding a good one that you can use who can play. B

cowboyec

Reaction score
DT Rodney Gunter,Cardinals.
DE Alex Okafor,Saints
WR Andre Roberts,Jets.
OT Jeremy Parnell,Jax.

some options I wouldn't mind having.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score

I would sort of like to see Tank get traded while there is still plenty of cap money floating around and so we can get a first rounder back in this year's draft class. Otherwise there really isn't much to get all bent out of shape about so far.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes, Xavier Su'a-Filo was signed on September 1st.

In 2017 Datone Jones was signed mid-season.

There is not much action on June 1st anymore because teams can release players before June 1st but designate them as June 1st cuts for cap purposes. These players can immediately sign with another team.

Not many cuts occur after the draft because the roster limit is 90 at that point.

Most of the cuts come at cut day after training camp and some cuts happen throughout training camp.