Post game thoughts

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Impressive win today, but like the SF game the score could have been more lopsided. We blew a couple of good scoring opportunities.

1) Romo was pretty sharp today, other than the boneheaded pick he was huge. I said in another thread that while I dont think he'll win MVP, if we finish 3-1 or 4-0 in December he should get very strong consideration. We were absolutely sunk without him, we're a totally different team with him.

2) Nice to see Witten have a big game again, he was huge as well. So was Martellus Bennett. This guy was a great draft pick, much to the disappointment of those who have done nothing but bash the pick since the minute it was made in April. This guy is EONS a better player than Fasano was.

3) Good game by Tashard Choice, might have to be the guy vs Pittsburgh.

4) Pretty dominant display by our front 7 today. Stuffed the running game again and had 7 sacks, numerous big hits on the QB. Hasselback is gonna be hurting for a few days for sure.

5) Pass coverage wasnt that great, too many times guys were really open. Gotta shore that up for the stretch drive. For whatever reason we just dont make many plays on the ball regardless of what the coverages are. Newman had another strong game, but other than a couple of plays Hasselback didnt even look to his area.

6) Absolutely horrendous officiating today. No excuse for some of the crap they called/missed, and its pretty pathetic that despite missing two OL starters and being dominated all game up front, Seattle wasnt once flagged for holding. Total b/s call on the intentional grounding, and what was that "reverse takedown" crap? I've never seen that called in over 30 years of watching football. Then there was that phantom timeout call that saved them a delay of game.

7) Courtney Brown is probably the most useless player on this team. He cant cover, he cant tackle, and today the one chance he finally does get to make a play he completely botches a gimmee fumble recovery.

8) Hopefully Barber makes a quick recovery, but if Ware is ok we dodged a HUGE bullet. We'd have really had problems next week and beyond without him, even had he just missed a couple of games it would have been hard to beat Pitt or NYG w/o him. I think we'd be ok if Barber missed a game or two.

9) Speaking of Ware he should be DPOY, no doubt in my mind. He should have won it last year too.

10) Bradie James has really turned into a different player since Wade started doing alot of the 4-6 stuff. He has turned into a force, not just vs the run but also as a blitzer.

11) The run D was outstanding again today, other than the Giants game we've really stuffed the run since that St Louis debacle.

12) Amazingly, the kick coverage units had another strong game, and overall it might have been the best coverage they've had all year. Whereas most of the yr guys would run to the 20-25 yd line before any of our guys were even in the picture, now we have several guys getting down and hitting them early.

13) Nick Folk continues to be absolute money. He could very well be the difference for us if we do get in the playoffs if it comes down to a close game.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice post David - no argument here. They played like I thought they would...I predicted a 35-10 score...........34-9....close enough for rock-n-roll.

Bring on Picksberg.

Smith22

Reaction score
Nice post. Big change from your post a few weeks back declaring our season all but over.

gbrittain

Reaction score
I hated the fasano trade and martellus pick. I would not say I am disappointed though. I gladly eat some crow.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Smith22;2448060 said:
Nice post. Big change from your post a few weeks back declaring our season all but over.

They looked dead in the water then, we're still not there yet though. They gotta finish strong or else we'll be sitting home in January. 2-2 might not get it done, they need 3-1 or 4-0 to get in.

Wouldnt it be bad if we look back on the season and that dreadful game vs STL is ultimately what keeps them out of the postseason? And if somehow we do go 3-1 or 4-0, that might be the game that keeps us from winning the division and having homefield advantage.

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
I thought the pick was on TO--he quit on the route to avoid contact with the safety--keep running and maybe get a flag or make the catch

Smith22

Reaction score
dbair1967;2448099 said:
They looked dead in the water then, we're still not there yet though. They gotta finish strong or else we'll be sitting home in January. 2-2 might not get it done, they need 3-1 or 4-0 to get in.

Wouldnt it be bad if we look back on the season and that dreadful game vs STL is ultimately what keeps them out of the postseason? And if somehow we do go 3-1 or 4-0, that might be the game that keeps us from winning the division and having homefield advantage.

I would look back to the 2 point Skins loss (8 run plays) or the Cards game where we had 5 turnovers and awful special teams and still only lost in OT.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Yeah those five minutes in St Louis where we gave up 21 points could be the death of us but with the way we have played the last three weeks, none of the remaining teams on the schedule scare me.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Still worried about the running game. We didn't do much at Washington until the 4th quarter, didn't do much last week, or much today. With the passing game going so well, you tend to overlook it. And now Barber's dinged.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
My only criticisim of today's game is the lack of patience on the offense. I understand that you need to attack to win, but does every play have to be a huge play downfield? We were easily marching the ball up and down the field in the first half, usually taking about 10 yards a play. We come out in the second half and Romo is trying to get a touchdown on every throw. I would like to see either Romo or Garrett, not sure who it is, take their time and work the ball down the field so that it tires the defense out and eats up the clock. I would also like to not see Bradie James covering anyone and the secondary play a little closer to the receivers. But overall this was a good game for the team and hopefully we will be focused and inspired to play against the Steelers....

Reaction score
JakeCamp12;2448117 said:
My only criticisim of today's game is the lack of patience on the offense. I understand that you need to attack to win, but does every play have to be a huge play downfield? We were easily marching the ball up and down the field in the first half, usually taking about 10 yards a play. We come out in the second half and Romo is trying to get a touchdown on every throw. I would like to see either Romo or Garrett, not sure who it is, take their time and work the ball down the field so that it tires the defense out and eats up the clock. I would also like to not see Bradie James covering anyone and the secondary play a little closer to the receivers. But overall this was a good game for the team and hopefully we will be focused and inspired to play against the Steelers....

I agree, they need to stay committed to the running game!

Smith22

Reaction score
bbgun;2448112 said:
Still worried about the running game. We didn't do much at Washington until the 4th quarter, didn't do much last week, or much today. With the passing game going so well, you tend to overlook it. And now Barber's dinged.

I think we are taking what the defense is giving us, but I hear ya. You have to have success come playoff time running the rock.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
12) Amazingly, the kick coverage units had another strong game, and overall it might have been the best coverage they've had all year. Whereas most of the yr guys would run to the 20-25 yd line before any of our guys were even in the picture, now we have several guys getting down and hitting them early.

Without checking stats, that looked like our best coverage game of the year by far. Not only did we stop them, but we were hitting hard and guys were obviously playing with emotion. That's what coverage teams are supposed to look like.

Not that it's all on them, but Polk was obviously a good sign and Battle looks like another one, too. Props to our scouts on Battle especially -- he looks like he might even put Courtney Brown out of a job on defense, because he'll really stick his nose in there and hit someone.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
JakeCamp12;2448117 said:

That is characteristic of Romo. He will look for the kill on every play, and I love him for that.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2448131 said:
Without checking stats, that looked like our best coverage game of the year by far. Not only did we stop them, but we were hitting hard and guys were obviously playing with emotion. That's what coverage teams are supposed to look like.

Not that it's all on them, but Polk was obviously a good sign and Battle looks like another one, too. Props to our scouts on Battle especially -- he looks like he might even put Courtney Brown out of a job on defense, because he'll really stick his nose in there and hit someone.

Carlos polk was a tremendous signing!!! I knew the team should have listened to me and signed him in august!

He has more emotion than anyone on the team. On kickoffs, before the ball is set, he runs down the field stops on the helmet in the endzone and does this crazy dance and the crowd loves it. between him, davis, choice and burnett we are starting to look like a team with very good special teams.

Battle looked great on that first kick. He just made a great tackle after a great effort.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
theebs;2448155 said:
Carlos polk was a tremendous signing!!! I knew the team should have listened to me and signed him in august!

He has more emotion than anyone on the team. On kickoffs, before the ball is set, he runs down the field stops on the helmet in the endzone and does this crazy dance and the crowd loves it. between him, davis, choice and burnett we are starting to look like a team with very good special teams.

Battle looked great on that first kick. He just made a great tackle after a great effort.
And I can't believe I forgot to mention Alan Ball. He had a few tackles on ST today. I admit I don't know... But I don't think he's even been active several weeks, has he? Seems like he only was today because Jenkins was down. But I think we need to find a way to get him active, because he made a difference.

(Another reason we don't need Pacman... But I could be preaching to the choir here. ;))

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2448311 said:
And I can't believe I forgot to mention Alan Ball. He had a few tackles on ST today. I admit I don't know... But I don't think he's even been active several weeks, has he? Seems like he only was today because Jenkins was down. But I think we need to find a way to get him active, because he made a difference.

(Another reason we don't need Pacman... But I could be preaching to the choir here. ;))

off the top of my head I dont think he was active. not since Tampa or NY.

and tell me about it on the arcade game.

ddh33

Reaction score
Really great game. I had to watch part of it at one side of the family, and I watched the second half at the other side of the family. Guess I can't complain too much since the wife watches all the games with me.

Anyway, Demarcus Ware is the best defensive player in the league. Man, I hope and pray he's alright.

Tony Romo is one of the best. I can say that safely. I think you could argue about just how highly he ranks. I know I'm not taking anybody over him, but that's just me.

I hope Barber is alright too. The guy has been the heart of this team in a lot of ways.

Glad to see Witten involved more again.

I liked Holland in the starting lineup. Hard to tell how much difference he made, but what I saw looked good.

Bradie James gets beat up a lot, and part of that probably comes from him being so vocal, but that guy is a heck of a football player. I mean it. He's really good.

Speaking of being beat up, Wade Phillips doesn't get nearly enough credit for what he's done. When this team was beat up and down on itself, Wade's approach helped them to understand they weren't as bad as everyone was making them sound. You're seeing more creativity, energy, and enthusiasm, and I think the guy deserves some credit.

Just a great job of pressuring the Seahawks today. That defense is making a stand. I wouldn't want to play a healthy Dallas team.

The special teams look much better too. I really like Tra Battle, and he sticks his head in there. Carlos Polk has been a huge addition to this team too. I think he really provides some leadership for that unit. Funny how getting some guys who will actually make contact and work on special teams makes that unit better. Now some fans are starting to figure out why Parcells would keep around key special teams players. They make a difference.