Post game thoughts

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Thumbs up on the original OP. I'd like to add a thing or 2 however that I feel warrants great consideration.

Our defense, although at times seemed very bendable, didn't break once the ball was within our 30 and did not give up a TD forcing FG's instead. Also once in our 30 we were very aggressive and successful at sacking the QB.

So basically, we forced field goals on defense where we could have given up TD's. That's huge. We also seemed much more inclined to create turnovers amongst our front 7. Our tackling is getting much more better. Keep fingers crossed it holds up against Pittsbrugh since we seem to have a harder time tackling against those grindy, physical offenses.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Dcz84;2448863 said:
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: We ran the ball 26x's for 120 yards thats a 4.8 average and threw 34x's for 330 yards 9.7 per catch Thats about as balanced as your going to get with this offense.

Yah running the ball 25 times and over in a game is definitely not neglect and indicates a balanced offense. We were very pass oriented early on against a team that is one of the leagues worst against the pass. It was a very good approach obviously early on.

The majority of those 26 carries was in the 2nd half of the game to close it out. Nonetheless, 25 + runs a game is the script most coaches use for balance. Then again, when you can run the ball 25 + times a game that's a good indication you're either winning or in the game. You don't run as much obviously when you're playing from behind. You're running to control the clock, set up 3rd and shorts and close out games usually.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Smith22;2448123 said:
I think we are taking what the defense is giving us, but I hear ya. You have to have success come playoff time running the rock.

As inconsistant as our running game seems to be from week to week, we won't be running too much against the Steeler's defense. We can try, but they will be forcing Romo to throw the ball in hopes he makes mistakes.

And look for the blitz to be dialed up all day long. We had better be focused.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Fletch;2448931 said:
As inconsistant as our running game seems to be from week to week, we won't be running too much against the Steeler's defense. We can try, but they will be forcing Romo to throw the ball in hopes he makes mistakes.

And look for the blitz to be dialed up all day long. We had better be focused.

We did take what the defense gave us. Seattle, and even SF was putting 8 in the box. I would pass against that defense all day long...forget the run.

I would do the same against Pitt if they dare to do the same.

It seems that opposing teams have been content to focus on stopping our running game. It seems like a fair strategy going into the game to have our qb with a bum pinky try to beat you by stopping the run.

cowboyed

Reaction score
koolaid;2448569 said:
thought this would be a good place to post my post game thoughts as well..

1) I totally agree with the OP on Ware. He has 15 sacks this season now and leads the league. The guy is amazing.

2) We are in the thick of the playoff hunt now, this skins/giants game will give us all something big to watch sunday.

3) Romo brought this team back from the dead.

4) This defense has been playing great since the bye week. They really shut up their critics and start living up to potential. Getting newman back doesn't hurt. The pass rush was ON today.

5) We have something in Choice. That said, hope Barber is good to go come the Steelers.

6) Jonas Brothers weren't necessary.

7) Hell of a catch by TO

8) GO BOYS :star:

I would rather have prostate surgery than endure a Jonas Brothers half time concert again. I know there demographic market is girlie pop but they suck as singers and the "band" exhibits sparse musicianship.

If you are stylishly coiffed, fad fashionable, prance around and emote like a debutante you too can be a multi-millionaire before the age of 18. There is no recession but obsession around the teeners.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theogt;2448579 said:
The defense has been playing great since the Tampa game, which happened to be when Wade took over the playcalling. Coincidence?

They continue to downplay it (Wade calling the signals) but one has to wonder if we'd be sitting here with 4 losses had Wade been more active in the playcalling all year. It's defintitely changed, as have the types of formations and pressure packages.

btcutter

Reaction score
AKATheRake;2448908 said:
Yah running the ball 25 times and over in a game is definitely not neglect and indicates a balanced offense. We were very pass oriented early on against a team that is one of the leagues worst against the pass. It was a very good approach obviously early on.

The majority of those 26 carries was in the 2nd half of the game to close it out. Nonetheless, 25 + runs a game is the script most coaches use for balance. Then again, when you can run the ball 25 + times a game that's a good indication you're either winning or in the game. You don't run as much obviously when you're playing from behind. You're running to control the clock, set up 3rd and shorts and close out games usually.

I think part of the reason we didn't run more was because Marion got injured and there was a few series he tried to play through the pain. The coaches didn't call a single run because of that.
Our coaches are very adverse to playing rookies and unknowns. Holland and choice.

khiladi

Reaction score
Wade has clearly taken over the defensive play-calling. The packages are more exotic and they have been playing way more man.

They aren't vanilla anymore and Briant Stewart seems to be forgotten...

I just hope Wade continues to call the plays.... They cannot afford to experiment with Brian Stewart anymore...

khiladi

Reaction score
dbair1967;2449075 said:
They continue to downplay it (Wade calling the signals) but one has to wonder if we'd be sitting here with 4 losses had Wade been more active in the playcalling all year. It's defintitely changed, as have the types of formations and pressure packages.

I actually think that he really took over during the Commanders game, with the bye. He gave some serious input into Tampa, but the Commanders game is when the 4-6 look started and this team was really putting serious pressure on the opposing QBs..

and while some people argue they are doing it against bad teams, the fact is, our defense wasn't getting any pressure even on bad teams...

FCBarca

Reaction score
Great points, very much agree...I, for one, was a Fasano fan and loved his motor...I didn't see or care for the early stuff of 'High & Tight' in TC but really enjoying his potential now...REAALLLLY enjoying it

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
dbair1967;2448099 said:
They looked dead in the water then, we're still not there yet though. They gotta finish strong or else we'll be sitting home in January. 2-2 might not get it done, they need 3-1 or 4-0 to get in.

Wouldnt it be bad if we look back on the season and that dreadful game vs STL is ultimately what keeps them out of the postseason? And if somehow we do go 3-1 or 4-0, that might be the game that keeps us from winning the division and having homefield advantage.

The game against St Louis isn't what will keep us out.

Any loss without Romo I can't put a lot of stock into.

The 1st Washington game and the Arizona game hurt me more because our guys didn't show up. They just went through the motions and thought those 2 teams would bow down.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;2448122 said:
I agree, they need to stay committed to the running game!

I agree. I wonder if not having Felix Jones and not being as confident in Choice has anything to do with that? :huh: