Post game thoughts....

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
This might be it for me for a few days, what a downer. 55 minutes of greatness on defense, then just like the rest of the team they melted down. That was some of the best, most dominant Dallas defense I have seen in years. We stuffed the run, we blanketed WR's, we jacked up the opposing teams QB. We forced no telling how many 3 and outs. We stuffed them time and again even when our offense or special teams failed miserably. We had a great goal line stand. We were physical, we punched the other team in the mouth. In alot of ways we didnt deserve to lose, but when you turn it over 5 times (one was a fluke, the punt) you do deserve to lose.

1) Romo was pathetic, not much other way to say it. Still, he did have us in position to win and at the worst go out with a tie. The last pick was horrible, I dont care that Witten was tapping at himself as if to say "my fault", the pass Romo threw had zero chance of being completed regardless of where Witten would have been. He floated way too many balls today and just royally missed too many open guys too. He had Crayton wide open for an easy TD but grossly threw the ball behind him. He threw two picks on balls he tried to force to Owens. On a week to week basis Romo is either amazingly good or amazingly bad, there really isnt much in between with him. Ultimately it could be his downfall, because rarely do guys turn into championship QB's when they have such dramatic swings in their play. The rest of the team isnt good enough to win without him playing well though.

2) Defense, again wow. 55 minutes of total domination. That last drive was the epitome of the old Zimmer defense though. We had the game won at 13-6, all you have to do is keep the other team from scoring a TD. In the end, they couldnt do it. Basically no pass rush and they dropped into zone coverages with gaping holes in the middle of the field.

3) What is with all the injuries? Sometimes it seems we cant even get through a series on offense or defense without somebody hobbling or crawling off. We have really been cursed this yr in that regard.

4) Other than tripping/falling two or three times Choice had a great game. Clearly was our offensive player of the game.

5) Adam Jones is just a waste of time on special teams. Punts, kickoffs whatever. He is God-awful and should be benched.

6) Everyone is crowing about Newman giving up one big play, but give the other team/payers a little credit. R-Berger threw an amazing pass INTO a wind that niether kicker/punter could do anything with the entire game. In the end that play didnt matter anyway, as they turned it over on downs. I certainly didnt see our QB throw any passes like that today.

7) I am not going to blame the officials for the loss, but the officiating was incredibly one sided. They blew several calls and made up a few other phantom calls. Witten ended up with X-Rays because of a clear dirty hit before halftime, no flag. Despite having a team with one of the worst pass blocking OL's in football going up against a front 7 they were CLEARLY overmatched by, there wasnt a SINGLE offensive holding call on them. Thats not really explainable IMO. Blew another instant replay call as well and it may have cost us bigtime in the game, as we used up both challenges before Pitts last drive or two. Because we lost the first one (instead of correctly overturning it) once we used the 2nd one on the Hatcher sack we were done. Had we correctly won that first challenge, we would have been allowed another one I believe. (I am pretty sure of you challenge two calls and win both, you get a 3rd)

8) Game turned a little IMO when we couldnt finish that last FG drive with a TD. They were on the ropes and we had open guys in the endzone on two straight pass plays, couldnt complete either of them.

9) Man, Cory Proctor is bad. Look up the word "suckmonster" and I'm quite sure his picture is there. I really hope Hollands injury isnt season ending.

10) Not sure how this team responds after such a demoralizing defeat. I probably wont be surprised if we now get blown out by the Giants next week. Ultimately it might be one of those losses they dont recover from this yr at all, and we may lose out.

11) Really blew a golden opportunity today in regards to not only the wild card position, but maybe even the division title and a first round bye. The Giants lost today and looked poor doing it, had we beaten them next week their last two games would have been tough ones too, with Carolina (home) and Minnesota (road) and both of those teams probably having to win games themselves.

I'm pretty bummed as I'm sure 1000's are. We really showed something great for 55 minutes, then the entire team caved in pathetically in the final 5 mins. I dont think this is a championship team even if we do somehow make the playoffs, as today is a clear example of the fact they still dont know how to "finish". This whole season there was one theme and that was "finish", and they still havent figured out how to do it. This loss will almost certainly have some residual effect on Romo and the rest of the team too. Pretty brutal way to go down.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Defense played inspired football today on the road, but when your QB turns it over 4 times including a pick 6.....you're gonna lose folks.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
Special Teams was the killer for me, we KNEW going into the game that Pitts Defense would be TOUGH. Not to beat a dead horse, but how does Reid still have a job?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Yes, I'd say the "Romo for MVP" talk died today. Only 3 points were scored on the "West" end of the field, right? That's brutal.

kramskoi

Reaction score
special teams, Jones on punt returns, Romo with 3 ints, Garrett taking his foot off the gas...i believe that the defense did PLENTY enough for Dallas to protect a 10 point lead with nine minutes to play...however an offense that only needed one or two first downs, failed to come through when it mattered most. A recurring theme in big games.

The Adam Jones return experiment should be terminated immediately...he has given them NOTHING in this area.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I feel bad for Romo. He has to be the scapegoat for obviously throwing the game.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
I'm amazed how we have all the weapons and we cant get the ball to the WR
makes me mental

I just get the feeling Romo is not a big game QB right now,whether he becomes one not sure.

Something was bound to break

after the FG that made it 13-6 it was important to have a good drive,we should have been in shotgun there and we go 3 and out.

as they say football is 60 minutes, I am sick to my stomach

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with pretty much everything said by the OP.

Going in I did not think we would win this game, however as it was unfolding I got the feeling we would. Only to see it unravel in the 4th quarter in all three phases of the game. :mad:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2470502 said:
I feel bad for Romo. He has to be the scapegoat for obviously throwing the game.

He certainly doesnt deserve all the blame, the defense caved in on Pitts TD drive. The ST coverages and return units were a joke again today. The officials certainly did their part to keep Pitt alive too.

leeblair

Reaction score
The officials kept Pittsburgh alive, by giving them good spots on the ball, and making calls that went Pittsburgh's way- like the one reception that everyone knew was a bouncer, but the Steelers hurried up before the replay could be shown. It kept their tying drive alive.

They called a fumble on Romo that wasn't a fumble, and when in doubt about an inch or a foot, they spotted the ball a foot to the Steeler's good.

This is not me saying this because I'm upset that we lost. Today, the officials were all for the Steelers.

khiladi

Reaction score
I love how you avoided to say Adam Jones performance as a CB... Quite dominating wasn't it... The Steelers tested him twice and they got owned.. They didn't test him at all after that, but Newman gave up a couple of huge plays....

BTW, Stanback had a nice little return on the kick-off return as well... So why aren't you blaming him for his performance.. Oh yeah, that's right... Bruce Read coaches the special teams... But you seem to forget about that when Adam Jones is back there....

BTW, Ratliff was out on the final drive.... It wasn't prevent... They blitzed up the middle.. But with Ratliff they go no interior pressure..

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
I'm just in utter shock. We literally had to actively try and lose this game. Pittsburgh couldnt do anything on offense and our offense was clicking in the 3rd quarter. I could have coached this team to a win in the 4th quarter. It's amazing.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;2471029 said:
I'm just in utter shock. We literally had to actively try and lose this game.

Yeah, it's simply amazing how our dominant D that allowed less than 100 yards in three quarters just all of a sudden gave up more than that in the fourth quarter. It's almost as if the game was thrown, but I'm tired of saying it was fixed. No I'm not.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Granted I agree that Adam Jones has not played well on special teams at all, but he sure does make some outstanding open field tackles on the outside against much bigger players.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2471043 said:
Yeah, it's simply amazing how our dominant D that allowed less than 100 yards in three quarters just all of a sudden gave up today. It's almost as if the game was thrown.

I wouldnt go that far, but it does speak volumes about our pathetic coaching staff.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2471043 said:
Yeah, it's simply amazing how our dominant D that allowed less than 100 yards in three quarters just all of a sudden gave up today. It's almost as if the game was thrown.

Not sure how the defense gave up...sure there was one drive there but thats the only touchdown the defense has given up through 8 quarters of play. When your "elite" offense only puts up 13 points and you have a back that has run/catches for 157 yards in the game but only finishes with 166 yards, you have to wonder what's going on in the headset.

ghosttown cowboy

Wyoming's #1 boys fan
Reaction score
To me, the game turned in their favor after they kicked the FG to make the score 13-6...they kick it out of bounds and we go three and out from the 40 to give them the ball right back...I think the defense thought "after all we did today and you guys can't get one first down and run the clock"

khiladi

Reaction score
ghosttown cowboy;2471303 said:
To me, the game turned in their favor after they kicked the FG to make the score 13-6...they kick it out of bounds and we go three and out from the 40 to give them the ball right back...I think the defense thought "after all we did today and you guys can't get one first down and run the clock"

No kidding.. the play-calling was horrible... hell, they could have taken a shot down field on that first down when they had single coverage on Terrell Owens and they were keying in on the run...