Twitter: Post Game Tweets 12/11/2022

quickccc

Reaction score
I hope Steele comes back soon, dudes been dominate and deserves his flowers.. not to mention Dal needs him.

That said, the only bright side to me.. and I admit it’s selfish.

As good as Steele has been playing, it’s going to be hard to retain him. He will demand (and his play deserves) a big contract. With the other Dal needs to sign this offseason, I was prepared to lose him.

Now with this injury, Dal might be able to manage to resign him. Who knows. Either way, Steele had played waaayyyy better than many expected. Good for him. Get well soon my friend, make me down as a fan.

- It won't be hard to re-sign him. if Cowboys really want him back.

- Even with an ACL tear and recovery, and Steele being a Restricted FA next offseason, i can still see the team re-signing him.
Just as we did with re-signing Gallup who torn up his ACL in final playoff game vs Niners.

- The Cowboys did not want to re-sign Conner Williams, (whose turned into a heckuva center in Miami)
He was due to be an Restricted FA, and usually teams don't go hard with matched contracts for non-All pro players.

- The Cowboys did want Lael Collins back -and didn't even try much to trade him, instead they flat out cut him - to instill Steele as full time starter.

CWR

Reaction score
I wouldn’t be so confident if I were you.

I realize what Dal can do to keep him, that still doesn’t guarantee he stays. Steele has made less than $1mil per season in the NFL. So I’m sure he’s eager to take advantage of his recent play and cash in with a sizeable contract.

Your assuming Dal will gamble with a 1st rd tender (worth $5.5mil for one year).. exp with the limited salary cap and others that presumably need to be signed like A.Brown, Shultz, Maher, LVE, McGovern, Pollard, & Donovan Wilson… oh yeah.. Diggs will surely ask for a new contract since he’s eligible after his 3rd season.

I also think you’re grossly underestimating how many teams need OLineman and value young OL playing at a ProBowl level. Hell, the Jaguars stole Jeremy Parnell from us a few years ago for $32mil. Most thought Dal would retain him too.

So yeah, hopefully Dal can retain him. But don’t be surprised if another team is willing pay handsomely for a young and promising RT. It’s definitely not out the question.

To finish my point in my original post.. If Steele has a major knee injury (fingers crossed that he doesn’t).. that would obviously knock his value, making it easier for Dal to retain his services.

If we put the tender on him someone is giving up a first to take him right?

Knotamus

Reaction score
If we put the tender on him someone is giving up a first to take him right?
Yes. IF we put a 1st rd tender on him

if we placed a 2nd, a team would have to give up a 2nd… and so on.

Once you place a tender on a player.. it’s kinda like a franchise tag. That player is guaranteed money. Basically, a 1st RD tender would guarantee a “1st Rd draft status” salary.

There again, if a team is in need of a RT and doesn’t want to gamble whether a 1st RD draft pick will pan out.. they could give up there 1st to Dallas and sign an experienced known quantity like Steele. And many teams need OL.. and a lot of team of cap space that HAS TO be spent to meet they competitive salary cap threshold.

That’s exactly why the Jaguars signed Parnell to a “more than expected” contract a few years ago. They had a need, they had the money. Of course, Dal didn’t tender Parnell.. so we received a late Rd comp pick a year later.

Reactions: CWR

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- It won't be hard to re-sign him. if Cowboys really want him back.

- Even with an ACL tear and recovery, and Steele being a Restricted FA next offseason, i can still see the team re-signing him.
Just as we did with re-signing Gallup who torn up his ACL in final playoff game vs Niners.

- The Cowboys did not want to re-sign Conner Williams, (whose turned into a heckuva center in Miami)
He was due to be an Restricted FA, and usually teams don't go hard with matched contracts for non-All pro players.

- The Cowboys did want Lael Collins back -and didn't even try much to trade him, instead they flat out cut him - to instill Steele as full time starter.
Connor Williams was an Unrestricted Free Agent. His 4th season was 2021 and no 5th year option for 2nd round picks.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s exactly why the Jaguars signed Parnell to a “more than expected” contract a few years ago. They had a need, they had the money. Of course, Dal didn’t tender Parnell.. so we received a late Rd comp pick a year later.
They could not "tender" Parnell. He was an Unrestricted Free Agent.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
10-3 is vastly different from 7-3.

You’re right at 10-3 the standard should be higher; however, context matters, when they were 7-3 everyone knew they weren’t a 7-3 team, but them.

The “forget how we played, we won!” is tiresome. We used that mantra all November/December last year when the offense sputtered.

quickccc

Reaction score
Connor Williams was an Unrestricted Free Agent. His 4th season was 2021 and no 5th year option for 2nd round picks.

An Unrestricted Free Agent who was allowed to walk as an Unrestricted Free Agent.

As i said, if the Cowboys really wanted to re-sign him to keep him, they would've done so.
They simply gave up on him.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Alan Ball needs to report to Duke Mayweather and just try again next year.
Maybe get a tiny home to live in outside Duke's house.

CWR

Reaction score
Yes. IF we put a 1st rd tender on him

if we placed a 2nd, a team would have to give up a 2nd… and so on.

Once you place a tender on a player.. it’s kinda like a franchise tag. That player is guaranteed money. Basically, a 1st RD tender would guarantee a “1st Rd draft status” salary.

There again, if a team is in need of a RT and doesn’t want to gamble whether a 1st RD draft pick will pan out.. they could give up there 1st to Dallas and sign an experienced known quantity like Steele. And many teams need OL.. and a lot of team of cap space that HAS TO be spent to meet they competitive salary cap threshold.

Yeah I thought so, and that has to decrease the odds of losing him significantly.

Even if a team doesn't want to gamble their first, it is still unlikely someone goes after Steele with that tender.

On the surface it's a smart move, HOWEVER it's about more than giving up draft capital. One of the biggest advantages of that pick is the cap savings. Having 5 years of controlled costs vs giving up a 1 and a new contract will probably keep Steele in Dallas imo.