Post Week 11: QB Combined Statistical Ranking

DFWJC

Reaction score
ESPN manufactured QBR again a bit whacky this year….and no, its not a part of this combination.

Its had Dak (and Wilson and Burrow) in the bottom half of the league
Not the last game or 2, but all year.

Not sure why some swear by it as it has some judgement based inputs

DFWJC

Reaction score
What weapons? Henry? Brown? Not a Tannehill hater or fan, but I don’t see a lot of legit weapons in that passing offense. Their OL is also very suspect in pass blocking.
Im sure he thought Julio would play
AJ Brown is fantastic, but huge drop after that

His cupboard may be the most bare of any QB’s right now.

Nexx

Reaction score
You want to talk about our OLine being a screen door.. eeek

and they have wins over the Chiefs, Rams, Saints, Colts and Bills. Good chunk of it without their All World Running back. Julio has been injured. Yet Dak needs everything and everyone healthy playing a Pro Bowl levels to even beat the likes of the Broncos...

CWR

Reaction score
What weapons? Henry? Brown? Not a Tannehill hater or fan, but I don’t see a lot of legit weapons in that passing offense. Their OL is also very suspect in pass blocking.

AJ Brown is an absolute stud, as well as Henry. Julio wasn't done when he got there either. Those are legit first team all pro weapons.

I'm not speaking on the oline or coaching changes, and I know those are critical. Just suprised he hasn't done better as he had the best skill players of his career currently. Maybe it's a testament to how little the shiny toys mean when the foundation (line) isn't sound.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
ESPN manufactured QBR again a bit whacky this year….and no, its not a part of this combination.

Its had Dak (and Wilson and Burrow) in the bottom half of the league
Not the last game or 2, but all year.

Not sure why some swear by it as it has some judgement based inputs

I don't think this is true.. I don't recall Dak being any lower than 12th or 13th all year until that horrible performance last Sunday. The reason I think it has value is it doesn't just compute raw numbers like passer rating does. I mean if a guy completes 50% of his passes and no TDs but runs for 5 TDs why should he be rated less than a guy who completes 70% of his passes, throws for 3 TDs but fumbles twice and takes 5 sacks instead of throwing the ball away so as to not hurt his completion percentage. But passer rating would tell the latter guy is better. Passer rating doesn't even factor in fumbles and rushing TDs.. Nor does it take into account the point in the game when the numbers are accrued. For instance Dak's two garbage time TD passes against Denver jumped his passer rating in that game like 25 points.. To me that's just dumb. If you want to say it shows how well a guy passed the ball then fine.. But don't tell me it shows how well they played overall.. because it doesn't. QBR has its warts.. but I still think it tells more about how a guy is playing than passer rating. But nothing should trump your eyeballs. Watch the games and decide for yourself..

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't think this is true.. I don't recall Dak being any lower than 12th or 13th all year until that horrible performance last Sunday. The reason I think it has value is it doesn't just compute raw numbers like passer rating does. I mean if a guy completes 50% of his passes and no TDs but runs for 5 TDs why should he be rated less than a guy who completes 70% of his passes, throws for 3 TDs but fumbles twice and takes 5 sacks instead of throwing the ball away so as to not hurt his completion percentage. But passer rating would tell the latter guy is better. Passer rating doesn't even factor in fumbles and rushing TDs.. Nor does it take into account the point in the game when the numbers are accrued. For instance Dak's two garbage time TD passes against Denver jumped his passer rating in that game like 25 points.. To me that's just dumb. If you want to say it shows how well a guy passed the ball then fine.. But don't tell me it shows how well they played overall.. because it doesn't. QBR has its warts.. but I still think it tells more about how a guy is playing than passer rating. But nothing should trump your eyeballs. Watch the games and decide for yourself..
So you think for the entire season, Dak has been the 18th best QB in the NFL?
:popcorn:

DFWJC

Reaction score
This combined stat thread only uses Passer Rating as 1/2 the equation
Part of the reason it was created is because Passer Rating alone is not enough, imo

Rushing TDs and fumbles are part of this too…Total TDs-Total turnovers

Current ESPN QBR results are pretty similar at the top, but has Dak as 18th best in the league thru week 11…and has often had him in the 14-16 range all year
:omg:

Here are the current top 7 in ESPN QBR thru week 11:
  1. Stafford
  2. Herbert
  3. Brady
  4. Rodgers
  5. Murray
  6. Garoppolo
  7. Cousins

8. Prescott (Im sorry, but for the whole season, I think hes been much better than that)

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
So you think for the entire season, Dak has been the 18th best QB in the NFL?
:popcorn:

No.. but the equation weighs each game equally.. so the two stinkers are obviously dragging down the good games.. Meanwhile there are guys who have not played as well as Dak in their good games but their stinkers have not been as bad.. The other big flaw in QBR is that it penalizes a guy if his team plays well.. Dak got dinged for those four games when we ran more than passed despite the fact that he was very good himself in those games. But according to the formula he had to do less in order for his team to win so he gets docked for it. None of the ratings are perfect.. but I'm still inclined to lean towards the one that grades the whole football player as opposed the one that just grades part of his job. The other thing people miss about QBR is that they read it to be saying "who is playing better." I don't think that's what it is trying to do at all. The goal is to try and quantify everything a player does to help or hurt the team's chances of winning. So even if a guy has a so so passing performance but makes enough plays to help the team win he rightfully will get a higher QBR than a guy who has a stellar passing performance but fails to do enough to win the game. See Kirk Cousins.. But again.. no system is perfect.. Sometimes you just gotta watch and trust your eyes.

DFWJC

Reaction score
No.. but the equation weighs each game equally.. so the two stinkers are obviously dragging down the good games.. Meanwhile there are guys who have not played as well as Dak in their good games but their stinkers have not been as bad.. The other big flaw in QBR is that it penalizes a guy if his team plays well.. Dak got dinged for those four games when we ran more than passed despite the fact that he was very good himself in those games. But according to the formula he had to do less in order for his team to win so he gets docked for it. None of the ratings are perfect.. but I'm still inclined to lean towards the one that grades the whole football player as opposed the one that just grades part of his job. The other thing people miss about QBR is that they read it to be saying "who is playing better." I don't think that's what it is trying to do at all. The goal is to try and quantify everything a player does to help or hurt the team's chances of winning. So even if a guy has a so so passing performance but makes enough plays to help the team win he rightfully will get a higher QBR than a guy who has a stellar passing performance but fails to do enough to win the game. See Kirk Cousins.. But again.. no system is perfect.. Sometimes you just gotta watch and trust your eyes.
The reason these threads were created was because Passer Rating does not tell the whole story.
Not sure why you feel you need to preach to the choir here.

Factoring in rushing TDs and fumbles with Total TD-Turnover differential help weed out bus driving….to some degree.
So I added it in.
Passer Rating only accounts for 50% of this “combined stats” thread.

and as you said, nothing is perfect.
These are factual stats…..thats all they are

of course everyone's opinions will always vary.
But they are “opinions”