Post Week 13: QB Combined Statistical Ranking

DFWJC

Reaction score
13 weeks in. 4 games remaining (5 for teams that had a bye week)

Weekly Disclaimer on this statistical ranking (unlike other rankings, no personal opinions)
This does NOT say which QB is "the best"....ONLY how they have played so far this year.

"Combined Stats" just means using two key stats that --when combined--almost always point to the QBs having the best season (the eventual All-Pros, MVPs, etc)

Those stats are:
1) Standard QB Passer rating
2) Total TDs (Rushing and Passing) - Total Turnovers (Fumbles lost and Interceptions)

Here are the QB Rankings using Combined Stats after week 13:
(* have had a bye week, ** missed games )
  1. Murray**
  2. Brady* (tied 2nd)
  3. Rodgers** (tied 2nd)
  4. Cousins* (tied 2nd)
  5. Stafford* (tied 2nd)
  6. Herbert*
  7. Allen* (tied 7th)
  8. Prescott** (tied 7th)
  9. Wilson**
  10. Wentz
  11. Garoppolo*
  12. Burrow*
  13. Mahomes*
  14. Bridgewater*
  15. M Jones
  16. Tagovailoa**
  17. Carr*
  18. Roethlisberger*
  19. Hurts
  20. Heinike*
  21. Siemien*
  22. Ryan*
  23. Mayfield**
  24. Tannehill*
  25. Goff**
  26. D Jones**
  27. Lawrence*
  28. Darnold**
  29. Z Wilson**
  30. Fields**
Omitted: Mills, Newton, Winston, Taylor, Lance, Dalton, G Smith, Lock, M White, Rush, Love, J Johnson, McCoy, Rudolph, Walker, Flacco

Last week
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/post-week-12-qb-combined-statistical-ranking.488917/

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
A few notes

• There is a big clutter in the top 5 (even a 4-way tie at 2nd right now but all fractions behind #1)
  • then a pretty good-sized gap
  • then mini clusters from 6-9 and 10-13
  • Murrays 4 Td and no turnover game vaulted him some
  • Allen got hurt some with that nasty weather game last night. I guess we'll see a few of those going forward.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
13 weeks in. 4 games remaining (5 for teams that had a bye week)

Weekly Disclaimer on this statistical ranking (unlike other rankings, no personal opinions)
This does NOT say which QB is "the best"....ONLY how they have played so far this year.

"Combined Stats" just means using two key stats that --when combined--almost always point to the QBs having the best season (the eventual All-Pros, MVPs, etc)

Those stats are:
1) Standard QB Passer rating
2) Total TDs (Rushing and Passing) - Total Turnovers (Fumbles lost and Interceptions)

Here are the QB Rankings using Combined Stats after week 13:
(* have had a bye week, ** missed games )
  1. Murray**
  2. Brady* (tied 2nd)
  3. Rodgers** (tied 2nd)
  4. Cousins* (tied 2nd)
  5. Stafford* (tied 2nd)
  6. Herbert*
  7. Allen* (tied 7th)
  8. Prescott** (tied 7th)
  9. Wilson**
  10. Wentz
  11. Garoppolo*
  12. Burrow*
  13. Mahomes*
  14. Bridgewater*
  15. M Jones
  16. Tagovailoa**
  17. Carr*
  18. Roethlisberger*
  19. Hurts
  20. Heinike*
  21. Siemien*
  22. Ryan*
  23. Mayfield**
  24. Tannehill*
  25. Goff**
  26. D Jones**
  27. Lawrence*
  28. Darnold**
  29. Z Wilson**
  30. Fields**
Omitted: Mills, Newton, Winston, Taylor, Lance, Dalton, G Smith, Lock, M White, Rush, Love, J Johnson, McCoy, Rudolph, Walker, Flacco

Last week
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/post-week-12-qb-combined-statistical-ranking.488917/

I would say these stats lineup with the eye test.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Just by looking at statistics you would think Cousins is the best quarterback in the NFL. I still can’t believe how awful he was against us.:omg::laugh:

Redline360

Reaction score
Herbert's doing better than I expected.

Damn Cousins always puts up stupid stats each year. Incredible year so far but the defense I believe has given up 4 or 5 games on the last drive this year alone. But yea it's cousins....

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Damn Cousins always puts up stupid stats each year. Incredible year so far but the defense I believe has given up 4 or 5 games on the last drive this year alone. But yea it's cousins....

Cousins will forever get the Romo treatment from fans/the media. In fact, I argue he is the new Romo of the NFL. The dude is a very good QB, he just unfortunately has laid a few eggs in high profile games and the team around him seems to fold at the most inopportune times.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I had Dak ranked 11th before the season started.

I was hoping he'd prove me wrong, but it appears after his great start that he is regressing closer to where I had him at the start.
I wonder about his performance stats in first 6 games before his injury, vs. after the injury....I would assume there is a big difference which would explain the performance drop off

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

Dak's best season statistically was 2019.

Cousins basically has that season or better every year.

The fact that posters here truly believe that Dak is levels above Cousins shows their willingness to put on blinders to support their narratives.

Redline360

Reaction score
Cousins will forever get the Romo treatment from fans/the media. In fact, I argue he is the new Romo of the NFL. The dude is a very good QB, he just unfortunately has laid a few eggs in high profile games and the team around him seems to fold at the most inopportune times.
Dak's best season statistically was 2019.

Cousins basically has that season or better every year.

The fact that posters here truly believe that Dak is levels above Cousins shows their willingness to put on blinders to support their narratives.

Trust me I ignore people who solely argue on stats cause they only show a fraction of the picture but it's hard not to see his value. I think Cousins gets to much hate. Cousins may have better stats each year but I would rather trust Dak honestly.

Agreed he's basically the new Romo. He tends to fold in high profile games or the team around him folds. He just can't grt over that imaginary hump so to speak but he's alot better then people give him credit for.

Last edited:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I wonder about his performance stats in first 6 games before his injury, vs. after the injury....I would assume there is a big difference which would explain the performance drop off
I don't know if it was the injury or if Denver really did put out some stuff on film that exposed Dak and some weaknesses.

I remember after that game Dak said something like "I hope teams play us that way every week" arrogantly acting as if Denver was doing certain things, but the Cowboys were just "off" that day.

It seems as if Dak got his wish, and unforntunetley for us, it wasn't just an "off" day for him and the offense.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Just by looking at statistics you would think Cousins is the best quarterback in the NFL. I still can’t believe how awful he was against us.:omg::laugh:
That was probably his worst game. He really is having a good year so far.
As I mention every week in the OP, that in no way means a player is the best in the league....only how they are playing so far this season.
Can't take it away from him though
26 total TDs and only 5 total turnovers all year (3 ints and 2 lost fumbles).
A QB rating of 106.....and passing for about 280 ypg....which is a good number too.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Daks best season as a QB IMHO was easily 2016. That was a super efficient and repeatable offense. Of course that was a different offense all together and that QB no longer exists.

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That was probably his worst game. He really is having a good year so far.
As I mention every week in the OP, that in no way means a player is the best in the league....only how they are playing so far this season.
Can't take it away from him though
26 total TDs and only 5 total turnovers all year (3 ints and 2 lost fumbles).
A QB rating of 106.....and passing for about 280 ypg....which is a good number too.

That turnover number is actually pretty incredible. He is really taking care of the ball.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Daks best season as a QB IMHO was easily 2016. That was a super efficient and repeatable offense. Of course that was a different offense all together and that QB no longer exists.
I agree. His rookie season was by far his best season.

He was efficient, playing within the system, and wasn't trying to be anything he wasn't. That Dak Prescott, combined with 6 years of experience, could lead this team to a Super Bowl.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
That list seems pretty accurate. This would be my list of QB's in order on who I would like going into the playoffs. Wilson has been hurt and it has effected his play, but if he's healthy he is a guy you don't want to face.
  1. Brady
  2. Rodgers
  3. Mahomes
  4. Wilson
  5. Murray
  6. Stafford*
  7. Herbert*
  8. Allen*
  9. Prescott**
  10. Carr

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think it occasionally comes up with some bizarre results, but if anyone is curious about how the players stack up using the "ESPN" QBR---which is a somewhat manufactured stat but that some prefer because it does take into account situational football, but also adds in some opinion.....here are the top 10
  1. Herbert
  2. Brady
  3. Stafford
  4. Murray
  5. Rodgers
  6. Wentz
  7. Tagovailoa
  8. Allen
  9. Mahomes
  10. Cousins
fwiw, Dak is 18th. So comparatively speaking, this Combined Stats rating thread is generous to our QB

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I think it occasionally comes up with some bizarre results, but if anyone is curious about how the players stack up using the "ESPN" QBR---which is a somewhat manufactured stat but that some prefer because it does take into account situational football, but also adds in some opinion.....here are the top 10
  1. Herbert
  2. Brady
  3. Stafford
  4. Murray
  5. Rodgers
  6. Wentz
  7. Tagovailoa
  8. Allen
  9. Mahomes
  10. Cousins
fwiw, Dak is 18th. So comparatively speaking, this Combined Stats rating thread is generous to our QB
18th? yikes.....

DFWJC

Reaction score
He finished top 5 in these ratings in 2016.
The 2016 line and run game was so overpowering that year.
The league was caught off guard with a sturdy QB who would run in Dallas. They adjusted in 2017.

Honestly, not to turn this into some Dak thread (these are not intended for that) but I think Dak is a WAY better player now than then.
He couldn't read defenses at all and had awful mechanics. He started his progress as a real NFL QB from the ground up beginning in 2017...and has gotten better every year since 2017.

Btw.....He is usually in the 8-15 range in these ratings, but has been top 7 pretty all of this season

Last edited: