Potential breakout candidate in 2022

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
This is great optimism and of course I hope it's true. But when I think of breakout seasons, I think of a player that either flashed at times in his rookie season, or his second season. Diggs is the perfect example. This year I'll be watching Osa.
Yep, that's what I think of as break out as well.
I think Parsons breaks out !!!
I think he will be even more dominate now that he has more experience on what NFL offenses are doing.
Could he approach Lawrence Taylor dominance ?
Its possible!
:flagwave:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I would love to see this. But I don’t think it’s realistic to expect this kind of performance immediately. IMO Tolbert will probably take at least half a season to develop into a reliable NFL receiver. His competitive opponents at S. Alabama weren’t exactly the SEC. He played against teams like Bowling Green, Arkansas State, Appalachian State, Louisiana-Monroe and Jackson State to name a few.

Not saying he isn’t talented. But the secondaries he faced in college were 99% of the time not full of NFL talent. He has lots of upside. But he will need some time to get used to NFL corners getting physical with him and how to adjust routes in certain situations. I expect him to have 30-40 receptions next year with the majority coming after mid-season.
Tap the brakes just a little bit ?
:D

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He'll catch 9 passes for 126 in week one. Then fans will swear he's better than Lamb.
:muttley:

If he has that kind of game in the opener against the Bucs he may end up being better than CeeDee but I don’t expect him to have that kind of game. That would have to rank as one of the best first games ever for a rookie WR, especially if he catches a couple of TDs to go along with those numbers.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I know a lot of fans are not high in Noah Brown, but he is a good 3rd/4th receiver to have on our team. He has very good speed( announcers have confused him for CD at times ), he is a dog( aggressive, tough, and blocks well )and I think he is going to become more comfortable in our offense( he’s now been in it for a few years) and take a big step up in performance.
Agree. All he needs is the opportunity.

plasticman

Reaction score
I'm not sure a rookie can have a "breakout" season by definition.

A breakout season is when a player seemingly has played at an acceptable level for at least a season until he reaches one season where he just goes nuts and elevates himself to the level of a Pro Bowler or, at least, a very valuable starter.

So, here he is, kind of just plodding along for a season or few and then one season it jsut all comes together for him. He stays healthy, participates in a few big plays and then his numbers grow to the point where it can't be ignored.

Obviously, Diggs had a breakout season in 2021. However, Parsons? He was a rookie.

The best test fdor a breakout season is when you have an answer for "What did he breakout from?" In other words, you must have the ability to recognize a significant gap between his quality of play from one season to that breakout season. That's easy for Diggs. From 2 INT's in 2020 to 11 in 2021?

With that in mind.....

Obviously you can choose just about any defensive rookie from last season and a breakout season is entirely possible for all but Parsons.

I think we would all love forat least one DT to have a breakout season, someone like Gallimore or Osa. Pehaps it will be Bohanna. The DE Golston is a possibility.

I'm hoping it will be Kelvin Joseph. Imagine two CB's playing at an elite level.

It could be CeeDee. Yes, he got a thousand yards but did he meet expectations? I would say that 1700 yards and double digit TD's would be a breakout

What if the light goes on for Trysten Hill? Let's say Biadasz bulks up this offseason and goes into training camp with a purpose.. It's not impossible.

Okay, here is a question.......name the most unlikely breakout you have ever witnessed with the Cowboys. There have been shocking breakouts in franchise history.

Tony Romo 2006
DeMarcus Murray 2014
Jay Novacek 1990
Drew Pearson 1974
Jason Witten 2004
Jay Ratliff 2008