Potential Breakout Player-Chidobe Awuzie

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Happy 4th of July to Cowboys Nation!

My next potential breakout player is Chidobe Awuzie.

A former prospect who made an immediate impact as a rookie. Very good cover corner, who possesses all the physical attributes needed for the position, considered a high-level tackler and is extremely durable. Many were surprised how fast Awuzie truly is as he caught Saquan Barkley from behind in which nobody has shown they can do on this level. Awuzie probably one of the most underrated players on the entire team.

Awuzie biggest issue is his lack of ball skills, he struggles badly locating the football when his back is turned to the QB. This allows too many contested catches given up. He usually is in perfect coverage, if he had a little ball awareness, he would become more of a #1 corner. Almost everyone gives Bryon Jones all the praise, but Awuzie was targeted far more, he typically didn't have over the top help as Richard would do that more on the side in which the slot lined up.

The new coaching staff wants Awuzie to play to more to his strengths, playing more facing the QB. They have toyed with the idea of Awuzie playing some nickel safety, this has been confirmed by Awuzie himself. Many forget when coming out he was viewed more as a safety prospect who had CB skills, but also was considered one of the best nickel defenders in his class. Does this mean Awuzie becomes more of a sub-package player? It's my understanding he isn't coming off the field, may remain as the team's outside CB against the run and will be moved inside against the pass.

Any sort of breakout probably gets him paid from another team during fa next off-season. Unless he transitions to more of a full-time safety, the odds of returning would be very small. I believe Nolan and his defensive staff are looking for a particular kind of corner, one who is big, long and possesses high level ball skills. All this said, Awuzie could be primed for a legitimate breakout year!

Good chance for Chidobe breaking out. Highest drafted returning player, with a problem for breaking up balls reportedly largely due to our rancid coaching.

Awuzie and Diggs should start.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Sorry man but I spent years after years hoping the Willie Blades of the world would become something, when realistically, when they show no signs of being able to play football well, you need to stop with the hope and be real.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Cowboys corners are going to get tested nearly every week all the time as its clearly the biggest weakness on our defense. Then you factor in that we are going to have a high flying offense and will have some big leads. Teams will be winging it against us.

Total different scheme. Up front will determine if the secondary will be exposed or not.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Total different scheme. Up front will determine if the secondary will be exposed or not.

Nolans scheme's and heavy blitzing will expose the corners even more. We will probably see more picks, but also more times getting burnt. Dline is much better than last year and should be able to tee off with bigger leads.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Nolans scheme's and heavy blitzing will expose the corners even more. We will probably see more picks, but also more times getting burnt. Dline is much better than last year and should be able to tee off with bigger leads.

There is going to be some growing pains, you would think the defense is going to give up more big plays, but they also will make more impact ones.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
There is going to be some growing pains, you would think the defense is going to give up more big plays, but they also will make more impact ones.

Agreed. But that suspect secondary is going to get tested early and often. Teams will be coming from behind and taking lots of chances. We are going to find out pretty quickly what Diggs can handle.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Unlike Xavier Woods, I can actually see this one.

1) It's a contract year for him.
2) He's flashed some ability.
3) He had real competition for his job (Worley, Diggs).
4) Possible move to Safety.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I can picture a situation whereby if the current staff allows Chido deep support for a change, he'll do far better.
Having adequate safety support changes the entire scheme, changes the way the Corners can play the ball rather than the receiver.
If you are a CB and you know that you have minimal support behind you, cant trust the safety, than you play the receiver first on fear of getting burned.
If you have solid safety support, it allows CBs to turn and play the ball without fear of being burned.
This game is simple,,, finding the talent and fitting it under the cap is the hard part.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
Happy 4th of July to Cowboys Nation!

My next potential breakout player is Chidobe Awuzie.

A former prospect who made an immediate impact as a rookie. Very good cover corner, who possesses all the physical attributes needed for the position, considered a high-level tackler and is extremely durable. Many were surprised how fast Awuzie truly is as he caught Saquan Barkley from behind in which nobody has shown they can do on this level. Awuzie probably one of the most underrated players on the entire team.

Awuzie biggest issue is his lack of ball skills, he struggles badly locating the football when his back is turned to the QB. This allows too many contested catches given up. He usually is in perfect coverage, if he had a little ball awareness, he would become more of a #1 corner. Almost everyone gives Bryon Jones all the praise, but Awuzie was targeted far more, he typically didn't have over the top help as Richard would do that more on the side in which the slot lined up.

The new coaching staff wants Awuzie to play to more to his strengths, playing more facing the QB. They have toyed with the idea of Awuzie playing some nickel safety, this has been confirmed by Awuzie himself. Many forget when coming out he was viewed more as a safety prospect who had CB skills, but also was considered one of the best nickel defenders in his class. Does this mean Awuzie becomes more of a sub-package player? It's my understanding he isn't coming off the field, may remain as the team's outside CB against the run and will be moved inside against the pass.

Any sort of breakout probably gets him paid from another team during fa next off-season. Unless he transitions to more of a full-time safety, the odds of returning would be very small. I believe Nolan and his defensive staff are looking for a particular kind of corner, one who is big, long and possesses high level ball skills. All this said, Awuzie could be primed for a legitimate breakout year!

when was this confirmed by Awuzie?

Johnny23

Reaction score
Unlike Xavier Woods, I can actually see this one.

1) It's a contract year for him.
2) He's flashed some ability.
3) He had real competition for his job (Worley, Diggs).
4) Possible move to Safety.
Agreed. The more you see breakdowns on Chido and other players the more it's head scratching that the coaching staff on defense wasn't fired sooner. Chico's film showed that he's a safety and nickleback. We have him outside and playing having to cover 4 people at once. I am so glad marinelli and Richards are gone. Seeing defenses losing by design is infuriating.