Potential Breakout player-Randy Gregory

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That is not true. I just re-watched Gregory's snaps from 6 games in 2018. He was very good against the run.

I don't know where the narrative that Gregory was not good against the run came from.

Obviously with any player there were a couple of ugly snaps for Gregory but the vast majority of his snaps vs the run were very good.

Gregory has an amazing ability at his size to take on and shed blocks and to get push on OLinemen.

Fans often don't watch with an understanding of the scheme and player assignments.

In 2013 when Kiffin/Marinelli came to the Cowboys, fans thought DWare had fallen off a cliff against the run.

In reality, in the Marinelli defensive scheme, the RDE often goes inside abandoning outside run contain. It's in the play call.

It is generally the LB behind the RDE that is required to play outside contain when the RDE goes inside.

Unfortunately, like everything in the Marinelli scheme, it's very predictable based on the alignment of the DTs/LBs/SS and down/distance.

In the Marinelli scheme, the requirements are different at LDE. The LDE generally plays a tighter split and generally does not have a LB specifically paired with him where they take inside/outside or outside/inside.

The Seahawks years ago played a similar style and took it to an extreme with Avril at RDE and LB Bruce Irving often playing RDE on passing downs. They had 330 pound Red Bryant at LDE.

Found this old quote about Gregory's "heavy hands" that allows him to play against bigger players:

It’s just physical; just heavy,” defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said. “When you strike something, you’re just heavy with it. Explosive. Heavy. He’s very strong in terms of that.”

Said coach Jason Garrett, “It’s a really descriptive term, and we talk about it a lot, really with almost every player on our team. When someone who has heavy hands strikes you, you feel it. Some guys might be strong in the weight room, but they’re not heavy-handed guys.”

Heavy hands can be made but mostly players are born with the attribute.

“I think you can work on it as far as power and getting stronger, but I was definitely blessed with that,” Gregory said. “I think my dad has heavy hands.”

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Until i finally hear about Gregory being officially reinstated, ..i'm not projecting him to even being back into the NFL, much less being a break out favoite.

- i don't understand Goodell already giving Alden Smith a clean slate approval with a past record that
included trouble with law enforcement, DUI and domestic abuse,.... but yet Gregory who has had no
such documented record such as arrest, ..has to wait this long before a couple of weeks before camp opens to
get his reinstatement approval.

- i was awaiting something " exclusive" from Mike Fisher this morning on Gregory, and got nada.
while just getting another opinion say from Chill ( Clarence Hill) that he doesn't think Randy is coming back.
i have to be assured that there has not been a change of heart with Gregory in terms of him being
determined to play again and if he is of fit mind to resume his career.

- i;d like to know that on HIS side of the fence, its still a clear path to go ..vs Goodell sitting around twiggling his fingers to making everyone sweating it out.

- We will definitely know something is wrong if he is not approved just right before camp. ..and i'll fret that its something up on Gregory's part.

Everything is mute until he gets reinstated.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The options at starting RDE is already very thin...

- Crawford has troublesome with both hips, and he was always very average as an edge rusher at DE,
- Alden is a recovering alcoholic 4 yr absentee with always one slip strike away from life ban in NFL
- and there's only a raw 5th rd rookie (Bradlee Anae) and JAG ( Armstrong)
- Not really known the matter with Gregory. Goodell delays or a change of heart ?

And these cries for Clowney and Griffin ?
- at age 32, Everson will demand that final deal of his remaining NFL career.
- and Clowney is just a 3 to 4 sack guy. Not a difference maker. If he had Quinn's sack numbers
he'd already have his mega deal.

If find it odd that fans have been so obsessed about trading for Safety J.Adams when the DE situation is very tenuous.

There are many good possibilities, but nothing that we can really count on at this point other than a healthy DLaw should be back to form.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The options at starting RDE is already very thin...

- Crawford has troublesome with both hips, and he was always very average as an edge rusher at DE,
- Alden is a recovering alcoholic 4 yr absentee with always one slip strike away from life ban in NFL
- and there's only a raw 5th rd rookie (Bradlee Anae) and JAG ( Armstrong)
- Not really known the matter with Gregory. Goodell delays or a change of heart ?

And these cries for Clowney and Griffin ?
- at age 32, Everson will demand that final deal of his remaining NFL career.
- and Clowney is just a 3 to 4 sack guy. Not a difference maker. If he had Quinn's sack numbers
he'd already have his mega deal.

You are right, a lot of unknowns at the RE position this season. I would feel much easier if the team would go out and sign a Griffen or another similar player in the fa market. A lot of what "if's" at the position, where Gregory/Aldon are probably the most talented, but are worrisome off the field. If both get reinstated and stay clean, they are both considered real breakout candidates due to their immense raw talent they possess. We just don't know how the story plays out and neither does the Cowboy Organization at this time.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If find it odd that fans have been so obsessed about trading for Safety J.Adams when the DE situation is very tenuous.

There are many good possibilities, but nothing that we can really count on at this point other than a healthy DLaw should be back to form.

The safety position is in far better shape then at Defensive End. A lot of question marks, some off the field, some green prospects and Crawford coming off of double hip surgery.

Edwards was the Viking DC last season you would think he would have inside knowledge on a player like Everson Griffen. My guess is that Griffen wants too much money as this could be his last contract. Marcus Golden is more of an Outside Linebacker, but also would be an upgrade to the position.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Found this old quote about Gregory's "heavy hands" that allows him to play against bigger players:

It’s just physical; just heavy,” defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said. “When you strike something, you’re just heavy with it. Explosive. Heavy. He’s very strong in terms of that.”

Said coach Jason Garrett, “It’s a really descriptive term, and we talk about it a lot, really with almost every player on our team. When someone who has heavy hands strikes you, you feel it. Some guys might be strong in the weight room, but they’re not heavy-handed guys.”

Heavy hands can be made but mostly players are born with the attribute.

“I think you can work on it as far as power and getting stronger, but I was definitely blessed with that,” Gregory said. “I think my dad has heavy hands.”

I love to watch players that seem to defy physics in that they do things that seem impossible.

Randy Gregory in college at 235 pounds bull-rushing 330 pound OT Ereck Flowers.

Jason Witten beating CBs/Safeties in man coverage.

Terrell Suggs being a great pass rusher despite below average speed measurable(s).

Romo escaping the pass rush usually without actually running very fast.

Mike Irvin and his 4.6 forty speed beating Deion when nobody else seemed to be able to do it.

DT Snacks Harrison chasing down RBs and making tackles at the sideline despite weighing 350 and running a 5.5 forty.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Randy Gregory a former top 10 prospect that fell all the way to the end of rd 2, due to drug use concerns. Him failing a drug test at the combine, foreshadowed his future with the team. Gregory has been suspended more games then the games he actually played in. He 27 years old and still playing on his rookie contract in which the team still hold his rights through 2021 season.

We are all well aware of his condition of being Bi-Polar and self-medicating himself by smoking marijuana. I personally know all about someone being bi-polar and how challenging it can be as my ex-wife had the same mental disease. Finding the right medication combination is very difficult, where many who suffer from the disease don't feel like themselves when on the medication.

Randy Gregory reportedly filed reinstatement paperwork with the league office. No decision has been made on his case thus far. With the new CBA, marijuana is no longer punishable by in game suspension. However, players are still going to be tested, the may have to seek mandatory counseling if the player fails multiple tests. I read a story in which Gregory refused voluntary to enter a program, where his agent almost had to kidnap him to get him help. This is something that could derail Gregory's future in the NFL. I do believe he will be reinstated at some point prior to the regular season.

On the field, Gregory has all the physical gifts to become a legitimate edge rusher. He actually is a better run defender than many of us think due to his small frame. With the Cowboys changing their defensive scheme, he might fit ideally as that designated off the ball pass rusher.

His success on and off the field this year could determine his long-term fate with the Cowboy Organization. You would think a player like Aldon Smith and what he has gone through would be an positive influence on Gregory. If and a big if, Gregory gets his act together, he has the potential to become a breakout star!

Not that I was ever a big Gregory fan but hoping for the best would be good for the Cowboys, however, players that are really good stay really good when they play and practice on a regular basis. Even players that play and practice all the time have to compensate for father time and father time is much harder on those that aren't playing and practicing on a regular basis. That's been the case with Gregory. Gregory show a lot of potential early on but again there's a big difference between potential and actually achieving that potential and then keeping that by playing and practicing on a regular basis. For the vast majority of Gregory's career he's been ban from being on the Cowboys property and any help in staying in shape and coaching to help progress and possibly get to that potential.

So we should view Gregory for what he is. If or when Gregory gets reinstated he is a 27 player with very limited continuous training and coaching the past few years. Who once had potential but never actually achieved that potential or has been able to sharpen that and has a debilitating disease and has proven that football has never been a top priority for him.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Not that I was ever a big Gregory fan but hoping for the best would be good for the Cowboys, however, players that are really good stay really good when they play and practice on a regular basis. Even players that play and practice all the time have to compensate for father time and father time is much harder on those that aren't playing and practicing on a regular basis. That's been the case with Gregory. Gregory show a lot of potential early on but again there's a big difference between potential and actually achieving that potential and then keeping that by playing and practicing on a regular basis. For the vast majority of Gregory's career he's been ban from being on the Cowboys property and any help in staying in shape and coaching to help progress and possibly get to that potential.

So we should view Gregory for what he is. If or when Gregory gets reinstated he is a 27 player with very limited continuous training and coaching the past few years. Who once had potential but never actually achieved that potential or has been able to sharpen that and has a debilitating disease and has proven that football has never been a top priority for him.

No matter what practice time he has missed, he has raw athletic talent that not many possess and is entering his prime age seasons. If he can stay in the NFL for good, there is a chance for him to make a impact.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I love to watch players that seem to defy physics in that they do things that seem impossible.

Randy Gregory in college at 235 pounds bull-rushing 330 pound OT Ereck Flowers.

Jason Witten beating CBs/Safeties in man coverage.

Terrell Suggs being a great pass rusher despite below average speed measurable(s).

Romo escaping the pass rush usually without actually running very fast.

Mike Irvin and his 4.6 forty speed beating Deion when nobody else seemed to be able to do it.

DT Snacks Harrison chasing down RBs and making tackles at the sideline despite weighing 350 and running a 5.5 forty.

Steve Largent was never considered fast, but he was always open. Many people forget Rice ran a 4.7 forty, but nobody could catch him from behind.

Some players are more "football players" then athletes! We might have one in Anae.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that Tyron is human.

It seems impossible to look like that AND weigh 320 pounds.

Don't forget many Cowboy posters at the time were worried about his small frame, there is no way the Cowboys are going to draft a RT who is under 300 lbs.