Potential Breakout Player-Tony Pollard

Rayman70

Reaction score
Zeke may have a new system...but he's proven to be one of the best backs in the league for 4 years. That is damn hard to do under ANY system, let alone our flawed one.

If anything...ALL players will be elevated, not just "undersold" players like Tony.

(By the way..."undersold"? You are kidding right? The team has been ecstatic with Tony!)
talking about the experts, not what the team knows about Tony. Most dont even give him mention.

starfan1

Reaction score
I think you are taking my statement the wrong way. I'm not comparing him to NOW. I was comparing zeke and Tony's NCCA pedigree...and why some people may not be sold on Tony' being the #1 heavy hitter. I've seen some people say he wasn't even the #1 on his NCAA team.

Sorry if it looked like I was supporting zeke yet again. I'll try to curb my enthusiasm. But that isn't what I was doing in this case.

I meant what I said...when I said everyone gets a free pass from me....and previous performances have been greatly erased. We've spent the last five+ years beeching and moaning about terrible coaching...Which surely effected player performances...how could it not?

And even if I do start hating (I kid!) zeke like you and roy and aria?....only two years to go...and not gonna waste all that effort convincing others to do the same.

One thing about zeke....I fully agree he's not the same player he was for 2014 NCAA champs or even 2016. But he is STILL a top 5 rb 4 years running. Not an easy achievement with our faulty system we had. And I'm gonna hold out for him just another year or two. Like I said I was doing for everyone.

thats fair and yes i misunderstood you. And yes it irritates the mess out of me that jerrys dumba$$ capitulated to him. But thats what Jerry does for everyone zekes contact isnt the only one that has frustrated me the last 10 years or so.If you want to call me a hater of zeke Im ok with that just frame it correctly and know that I hate the contract and i hate where he was drafted and i hate that he acts too carefree without thought of how his actions may affect the rest of the team and lastly i hate how he went about his contract. Not a hater of the individual. And yes hes a top 5 RB but with the line we have as Ive said before there are several names you can plug in and the results would have been similar.

glimmerman

Reaction score
it may have been there were two fumbles one by Witten and one by him.
Yeah I think it was the one. I was pretty mad when I saw it. Looked like his elbow had clearly hit the ground but said not clear enough to turn it over.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
talking about the experts, not what the team knows about Tony. Most dont even give him mention.

They aren't the ones that have to "sell" Tony. The team does. And they've done a good job considering Zeke is first up.
But I get ya. Maybe the new staff can "sell" Tony much more with more careful creative play-calling, and the heads will have to pay attention a bit more?

quickccc

Reaction score
-Moore/MM have to design ways to give more touches to Pollard. I cannot see him taking too many rushing snaps away from Zeke outside of giving him a breather series now and then. They need to incorporate him like the Saints use Alvin Kamara. Get him onto the field with Zeke, use him all over the field, in the backfield, in the slot, on the outside. Force teams to match-up.

do you mean Alvin Kamara pre- Mark Ingram ... or post Mark Ingram ?
Kamara took on a bigger role when Ingram departed, and he didn't seem to make as many splash plays
as prior.

quickccc

Reaction score
Pollard better hold on to the ball this year. Lol. That fumble in the egirls game. Grrr.

but wasn't that the only fumble he surrendered all year long ?
His ball security seems pretty good, imo.

quickccc

Reaction score
Preaching to the choir on Pollard. I started a thread/topic on him a while back about this. He's def. my guy to watch on Offense. He is so diverse with what he offers. He can line up anywhere except QB and oline lol. LOVE his versatility and skill set. He's one of those instinctive slippery players.

He's fast, but not the fastest on the team, but he makes up for it with great decisiveness and that first step. He's a game changer.

This is not ANYTHING against Zeke..because he's a different back than Pollard...but Zeke may have to learn his role and be ok with it as time goes forward. This kid is special and hungry. I see a 1000 yard season for him in combined yards receiving and rushing. I see Zeke getting about 800 combined. ONLY because we have a wealth of weapons and the offense will be "pick your poison" ..spread ...fun and gun..we could have a different guy show out each week.

Then who is a faster timed player than Pollard's 4.37 (pro day) that is on the current roster ?
Both RBs are one cut runners, they are not overly shifty, overly elusive, but it's a one see, and one cut into gaps and lanes on their way to accelerating it in fifth gear to pull away from crowd of defenders.

- That used to be Zeke's trait, coming into 2016. He gave us an Adrian Peterson type fear in that you simply could not afford to lose gap or containment for one moment, ..or else he had the home run burst to take it to the house.

- It's just my theory but i still maintain that the Garrett regime per 2018, thought to re-frame Zeke into bulking him up more to being more like a Emmitt Smith type methodical pounder than the thoroughbred home run hitter he used to be.
Thus the lack of big splash plays ensued. And a combination of excessive carries, catches and a useless backup in Rod Smith, this team really beat Zeke up miserably. Even Zeke admitted at some point later that he was sore and feeling it.

-i really hope the new (and improved?) coaching regime immediately spots and addresses that though withcurrent pandemic crisis there won't be any off season program work to get him back to that version.
That may have to be more next off season i fear.

- And BTW, that same Garrett regime allowed Zeke to get into a bad habit of taking himself out of
games, even at dire spots such as when we were in red zone situations, and MM and Skip Peete need
(and will,imo) to re-condition him away from that.

o_O

Cowboyny

Reaction score
do you mean Alvin Kamara pre- Mark Ingram ... or post Mark Ingram ?
Kamara took on a bigger role when Ingram departed, and he didn't seem to make as many splash plays
as prior.

With Ingram. Ingram still was the team's primary ball carrier, where Kamara was used in many different ways; as a rusher, receiver out of the backfield, receiver in the slot/outside and a big contributor on the team's return units. Put him onto the field with Zeke at the same time, along with our 3 top WR's and it causes mismatches across the board. Do teams use more their nickel/dime personnel or do they stay in their base to protect against the run?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then who is a faster timed player than Pollard's 4.37 (pro day) that is on the current roster ?
Both RBs are one cut runners, they are not overly shifty, overly elusive, but it's a one see, and one cut into gaps and lanes on their way to accelerating it in fifth gear to pull away from crowd of defenders.

- That used to be Zeke's trait, coming into 2016. He gave us an Adrian Peterson type fear in that you simply could not afford to lose gap or containment for one moment, ..or else he had the home run burst to take it to the house.

- It's just my theory but i still maintain that the Garrett regime per 2018, thought to re-frame Zeke into bulking him up more to being more like a Emmitt Smith type methodical pounder than the thoroughbred home run hitter he used to be.
Thus the lack of big splash plays ensued. And a combination of excessive carries, catches and a useless backup in Rod Smith, this team really beat Zeke up miserably. Even Zeke admitted at some point later that he was sore and feeling it.

-i really hope the new (and improved?) coaching regime immediately spots and addresses that though withcurrent pandemic crisis there won't be any off season program work to get him back to that version.

- And BTW, that same Garrett regime allowed Zeke to get into a bad habit of taking himself out of
games, even at dire spots such as when we were in red zone situations, and MM and Skip Peete need

o_O

I fully agree. Let's trim him back down a bit. Condition him up a bit. Covid might dampen that but....no excuses let's get him where he needs to be......we all have our jobs to do...just do it.

Rayman70

Reaction score

o_O
we will find out in camp.