Potential impact of the last two draft classes on position groups

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
-QB: Not much unless you count Lance as a potential backup. The UDFA they just brought in could challenge for a PS spot with a strong camp/preseason

-HB not much here either. Deuce had a strong preseason, and had a few nice plays in the regular season, but other times looked like a liability. It possibly he may not even make the roster

WR- Brooks showed some promise in his limited reps as a rookie. The team is supposedly high in him. Its possible he could push Tolbert for the #3 spot. Flournoy is interesting. Very good athletism, but 24 and will be 25 during the season. Might not make the roster, and if he does he probably wont get much time on offense in 2024

TE- Schoonmaker offered very little as a reciever, and wasnt the blocker he was advertised to be. For a blocking TE, he was barely league average. Ferguson was a better blocker. 2023 UDFA offers much more as a reciever and wouldnt be surprised if he emerges as our #2 TE at camp

OL- Last year they hit on some quality backups with late round picks and UDFA in Richards and Bass. Richards a strong preseason, although didnt get much regular season time. Bass followed up a strong preseason with 300 snaps in the regular. Wasnt a world beater but looks to be at least a playable OG. This year we went with alot more meat with two OL in the top 75, landing Guyton and Beebe. Both will be starters this year. They added to that with Nathan Thomas in the 7th, who along with Bass and Richards could add to depth. They have done well the last two years not only adding starter level talent, but quality backups who could develop into starters

DL: They took Mazi Smith #1 last year, and his rookie year was alot of downs and a few ups. He was down in the 280's for some reason. Hopefully his weight is back up because it looks like he is our 1T. They drafted Fehoko in the 4th to convert into a 3t, but we have seen nothing from him yet. So he is still a mystery. However the smart money would be on him not making much of an impact if at all. This year they added Kneeland to the DE room. He should have some impact as rotational player early, but probably wont add much to the pass rush in 2024. They took Justin Rogers in the 7th, who will probably be more of a practice squad player. A strong camp could get him on the 53

LB: Overshown looked like he would make an immediate impact before he went down in the preseason. Luckily the injury was so early in the season he should be fully recovered. They drafted Marist Liufau in the 3rd. He is most likely going to be a sub package player in 2024. If he gets consistent time on defense it will most likely be because Kendricks, Overshown or Clark got hurt

DB: Last year they traded 2024 draft picks to move on Eric Scott. He is a guy to watch in the preseason. However that was a different coaching staff that wanted him. They got great value in Carson this year. Carson is probably good enough now to step in as a #3 CB if needed

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good assessment.

I heard Norm Hitzges say the other day that PFF ranked the Cowboys draft last year - a year after watching those players play - as 32nd.

This year’s draft has a ton of pressure on it to have an immediate positive impact. It looks good on paper, especially the two early OL picks. But they still have to go out and prove it.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Great to see that there are fine prospective candidates available as #3 WR candidates in 2024. May the most talented WR win the job!:thumbup:

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good assessment.

I heard Norm Hitzges say the other day that PFF ranked the Cowboys draft last year - a year after watching those players play - as 32nd.

This year’s draft has a ton of pressure on it to have an immediate positive impact. It looks good on paper, especially the two early OL picks. But they still have to go out and prove it.
I honestly dont see any way they could have been higher than 32

cnuball21

Reaction score
That’s what happens when you push hard on need vs value.

Highest rated players would’ve been JPJ and Ocyrus. JPJ was a stud and looked like a pro bowler last year and I believe started all season for the Bills.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
-QB: Not much unless you count Lance as a potential backup. The UDFA they just brought in could challenge for a PS spot with a strong camp/preseason

-HB not much here either. Deuce had a strong preseason, and had a few nice plays in the regular season, but other times looked like a liability. It possibly he may not even make the roster

WR- Brooks showed some promise in his limited reps as a rookie. The team is supposedly high in him. Its possible he could push Tolbert for the #3 spot. Flournoy is interesting. Very good athletism, but 24 and will be 25 during the season. Might not make the roster, and if he does he probably wont get much time on offense in 2024

TE- Schoonmaker offered very little as a reciever, and wasnt the blocker he was advertised to be. For a blocking TE, he was barely league average. Ferguson was a better blocker. 2023 UDFA offers much more as a reciever and wouldnt be surprised if he emerges as our #2 TE at camp

OL- Last year they hit on some quality backups with late round picks and UDFA in Richards and Bass. Richards a strong preseason, although didnt get much regular season time. Bass followed up a strong preseason with 300 snaps in the regular. Wasnt a world beater but looks to be at least a playable OG. This year we went with alot more meat with two OL in the top 75, landing Guyton and Beebe. Both will be starters this year. They added to that with Nathan Thomas in the 7th, who along with Bass and Richards could add to depth. They have done well the last two years not only adding starter level talent, but quality backups who could develop into starters

DL: They took Mazi Smith #1 last year, and his rookie year was alot of downs and a few ups. He was down in the 280's for some reason. Hopefully his weight is back up because it looks like he is our 1T. They drafted Fehoko in the 4th to convert into a 3t, but we have seen nothing from him yet. So he is still a mystery. However the smart money would be on him not making much of an impact if at all. This year they added Kneeland to the DE room. He should have some impact as rotational player early, but probably wont add much to the pass rush in 2024. They took Justin Rogers in the 7th, who will probably be more of a practice squad player. A strong camp could get him on the 53

LB: Overshown looked like he would make an immediate impact before he went down in the preseason. Luckily the injury was so early in the season he should be fully recovered. They drafted Marist Liufau in the 3rd. He is most likely going to be a sub package player in 2024. If he gets consistent time on defense it will most likely be because Kendricks, Overshown or Clark got hurt

DB: Last year they traded 2024 draft picks to move on Eric Scott. He is a guy to watch in the preseason. However that was a different coaching staff that wanted him. They got great value in Carson this year. Carson is probably good enough now to step in as a #3 CB if needed
Looks like offensive line wins by default right now. Hope this year’s draft produces something.

Creeper

Reaction score

I am curious to see what they do with Luepke this year. I actually think he has more potential than Vaughn, but he has to hold onto the football.

The Cowboys always has some WR who makes a splash in preseason.

I think it is too soon to judge Schoonmaker. Schultz didn't do much in his rookie season, and neither did Ferguson. I think we could see a big improvement from Schoonmaker this year. The only problem is with a guy like Ferguson why throw the ball to the 2nd TE?

I just do not think the rookies drafted this year are going to make an immediate impact. We will have to give them a year or two to develop to their full potential. But I think this is also a critical year for Hoffman and Bass, as well as Asim Richards. Its funny, but we hear the Cowboys talk about Ball and Waletzko a lot but not much about Richards. I think this year is it bof Ball. He has a lot of competition from guys who if they stay healthy will push him off the roster. There are no immpact players this year, but a lot of solid OL depth I think.

I still think DL is the biggest issue for Dallas at the moment. They lost 4 guys on the DL and while they weren't great they look to be weaker there this year. I like the Kneeland pick but we have to see him play before we can talk about him. I am curious about Fehoko and Sam Williams who should get a lot more playing time this year.

I don't have high expectations for Eric Scott. I have no idea why they moved up to draft him last year, then kept him on the roster the entire year, at the expense of cutting LBs they desperately needed. When he played in preseason he looked to be really slow changing direction which allowed receivers to get separation. If he can't fix that I don't see how he makes the team.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I think it is too soon to judge Schoonmaker. Schultz didn't do much in his rookie season, and neither did Ferguson. I think we could see a big improvement from Schoonmaker this year. The only problem is with a guy like Ferguson why throw the ball to the 2nd TE?
Fergy showed a lot of potential his rookie year. My memories so far of rookie Schoon are not making the key catch or down. I think he’ll be better but if the tables were turned and Schoon was entering the year as the default starter I’d be very worried, which is not the feeling I had with Fergy.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I dont know if I would say " fine" lol.

We got some guys basically
Just trying to add a cheerful response, since it's been so dang rare around this place. ;)
I know it's a strain on folks in view of recent comments by Jerry, with his "all in" stuff. :muttley:

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Mazi Smith is probably the key to this entire season.

How are they ever stopping the run otherwise…unless you’re expecting a guy like Rodgers to make an immediate impact.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think you are overestimating a UDFA who most say has intriguing ability but needs a lot of work, and maybe underestimating our second-round pick. Thanks to Ferguson, we did not have to throw Schoonmaker into the fire, so he didn't have to do as much as some rookie TEs did. We'll see if he can carve out more playing time as a No. 2 tight end, but I'd expect the role to be his to lose.

I am intrigued, though, to see if a player like Luepke could steal snaps from the position. If he progresses as a blocker and proves to be a better option out of the backfield than a second TE, I could see us using the fullback more, especially if our plan is to hammer our big backs (Elliott and Freeman) between the tackles.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Highest rated players would’ve been JPJ and Ocyrus. JPJ was a stud and looked like a pro bowler last year and I believe started all season for the Bills.
JPJ likely was flagged for medical and the Cowboys didn't like O'Cryus.

There is a reason they passed on both.

XXLMike

Reaction score

Translation will McClay sucks

shabazz

Reaction score

How are they ever stopping the run otherwise…unless you’re expecting a guy like Rodgers to make an immediate impact.
Getting back that 30lbs of blubber, new DC with new scheme.....it might do the trick

JBS

Reaction score

Excellent post. Bang on across the board. The most interesting take from all of this, imo, is how low you are on Schoonmaker. There is nothing to suggest you are wrong but for the sake of the team and the valuable capital we spent on him, I hope you are wrong.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Translation will McClay sucks
I don't think he sucks. I do think he's a tad overrated.

More than anything, he's completely hamstrung by the Jones, especially in the first 3 to 4 rounds of the draft.

He may be the only top player personnel executive (not part of ownership) whose team only uses the draft, bargain free agents, and minor trades to build the roster. 31 other teams participate in unrestricted free agency. Some more than others, but only the Cowboys refuse.

75boyz

Reaction score

Will be shocked if Zim can get anything out of the kid honestly.
I just don't think he's that good imo.

Hopefully, the new scheme and others stepping up their game can improve the run dee.

75boyz

Reaction score

Excellent and accurate summary.
Nice job.