PPF: Best interior defensive linemen avail in 2021 draft AND free agency

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
With Williams and eventually Lawrence I don’t think the Giants are going to spend to keep Tomlinson. If he hits the market, a team with the worst run defense in the league can justify paying the player. This isn’t a cap issue. This is an owner and his son who think they can get away with throwing crumbs at a bunch of has been players. It doesn’t work for this organization.
No, it's a cap issue.

You can't invest big money in players who make marginal differences.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
No, it's a cap issue.

You can't invest big money in players who make marginal differences.
I don’t know that paying a DT who specializes in defending the run would be considered a big money contract. Personally I’m more comfortable giving a guy like Tomlinson market value rather than paying the Jaylon Smiths and the Amari Coopers of the world.

visionary

Reaction score
I don’t know that paying a DT who specializes in defending the run would be considered a big money contract. Personally I’m more comfortable giving a guy like Tomlinson market value rather than paying the Jaylon Smiths and the Amari Coopers of the world.

totally agree
I’m on board with Tomlinson
1T DT is pivotal to the defense
Many on this board don’t understand

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The contract level is higher then what you think, Reader was the best on the market last year and got over 13 million a season.

Agree, about Jaylon, but Cooper is a legit player. Even with multiple quarterbacks this yr, he still had a good season. Prior to him being here, the Cowboys passing offense wasn't great and it was more of a run first/play action team.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
The contract level is higher then what you think, Reader was the best on the market last year and got over 13 million a season.

Agree, about Jaylon, but Cooper is a legit player. Even with multiple quarterbacks this yr, he still had a good season. Prior to him being here, the Cowboys passing offense wasn't great and it was more of a run first/play action team.
I would argue that spending 13 mil to stabilize the biggest weakness on your team is worth it. Especially when you won’t use the draft to get that kind of player. Cooper is a good player but his contact is ridiculous. He’s very replaceable. That contract was given because Jerry had to justify giving up a 1st round pick for the player and they didn’t want him going to Washington.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
DJ Reader got $15m a year last year. Don't compare Jaylon to Amari lol

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I would argue that spending 13 mil to stabilize the biggest weakness on your team is worth it. Especially when you won’t use the draft to get that kind of player. Cooper is a good player but his contact is ridiculous. He’s very replaceable. That contract was given because Jerry had to justify giving up a 1st round pick for the player and they didn’t want him going to Washington.

I think you are undervaluing Cooper's worth. He is a legitimate #1 WR in this league and the team's passing offense would greatly suffer without him. Yes, big contract, but that what #1 WR's get in the market.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I think you are undervaluing Cooper's worth. He is a legitimate #1 WR in this league and the team's passing offense would greatly suffer without him. Yes, big contract, but that what #1 WR's get in the market.
I don’t see it. Good player yes. But I don’t see a player worth 20 million per year. At this point there are other reason for this offense to struggle. I view him as a very replaceable player.

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
DT1, DT3. 1-technique, 3-technique, lots of verbiage. All I know the Cowboys won five Super Bowls with Jethro Pugh with Bob Lilly; Randy White with Jethro Pugh; Russel Maryland and Tony Casillas twice and Leon Lett with Chad Hennings.

It was simple, LDT and RDT. Your RDT tended to be the better of the two as a pass rusher, but the LDT was not soley a run stuffer by any means.

I want two kick-***, hell-raiisng DT's who tackle behind the line of scrimmage, who push the pocket into the QB, block some passes and also get 6-10 sacks each; guys who make the speed rushers' life much easier. They must hold and control the point of attack instead of being pushed away as I saw the last few years.

I have not seen very good defensive tackle play since Jason Hatcher's last years with the Boys. Jimmy Johnson added Tony Casillas, Russel Maryland, and Leon Lett in 91, Charles Haley in trade and Chad Hennings out of teh Air Force in 1992. teh teams was ready for 5-6 Super Bowls. No effort has been made to build the DT position by drafting sure fire players. T Hill was a 5th rounder. Gallimore may become good. We need stars.

Perhaps Balmore and Nixon can be ones. I would trade down to #15 and get a 2nd and then trade back into the first and get one of these two DT's. Or alternatively, draft two DT's in 2nd round after the aforemtioned trade, then draft a safety and CB in the 3rd round. Both 4th's on OT's.

Jimmy Johnson's 1992 team had deep DL. You had Tolbert and Haley at ends, Casillas and Maryland at DT's. But there were Jim Jeffocoat,plus thre eyoung, hungry and talented guys, Chad Hennings, Leon Lett and Jimmy Jones, spelling them with huge talent and eneregy. Would anyone other than DLAW from the 2020 team beat out these 1992 backups? I doubt it.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don’t see it. Good player yes. But I don’t see a player worth 20 million per year. At this point there are other reason for this offense to struggle. I view him as a very replaceable player.
We disagree. Cooper is just 26 and has had over 1,000 yards a season since he arrived. He is Dak's go to receiver when they need a big conversion.

Hardline

Reaction score
DT1, DT3. 1-technique, 3-technique, lots of verbiage. All I know the Cowboys won five Super Bowls with Jethro Pugh with Bob Lilly; Randy White with Jethro Pugh; Russel Maryland and Tony Casillas twice and Leon Lett with Chad Hennings.

It was simple, LDT and RDT. Your RDT tended to be the better of the two as a pass rusher, but the LDT was not soley a run stuffer by any means.

I want two kick-***, hell-raiisng DT's who tackle behind the line of scrimmage, who push the pocket into the QB, block some passes and also get 6-10 sacks each; guys who make the speed rushers' life much easier. They must hold and control the point of attack instead of being pushed away as I saw the last few years.

I have not seen very good defensive tackle play since Jason Hatcher's last years with the Boys. Jimmy Johnson added Tony Casillas, Russel Maryland, and Leon Lett in 91, Charles Haley in trade and Chad Hennings out of teh Air Force in 1992. teh teams was ready for 5-6 Super Bowls. No effort has been made to build the DT position by drafting sure fire players. T Hill was a 5th rounder. Gallimore may become good. We need stars.

Perhaps Balmore and Nixon can be ones. I would trade down to #15 and get a 2nd and then trade back into the first and get one of these two DT's. Or alternatively, draft two DT's in 2nd round after the aforemtioned trade, then draft a safety and CB in the 3rd round. Both 4th's on OT's.

Jimmy Johnson's 1992 team had deep DL. You had Tolbert and Haley at ends, Casillas and Maryland at DT's. But there were Jim Jeffocoat,plus thre eyoung, hungry and talented guys, Chad Hennings, Leon Lett and Jimmy Jones, spelling them with huge talent and eneregy. Would anyone other than DLAW from the 2020 team beat out these 1992 backups? I doubt it.
Cant stockpile DTs and tie up a lot of money at that position anymore. Too much of a salary cap hit.
I would love to be 3 deep at the DT position but ain't going to happen.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Just a good player? Dude has over 6K yards and he's only 26. He's a legit WR1.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Just a good player? Dude has over 6K yards and he's only 26. He's a legit WR1.
Agree to disagree. I don’t see him as a top wideout in the league. Certainly not worth the 20 mil per year that we paying.