Twitter: Practice/Injury Updates - 08/26/13 *Bernadeau is out w/ankle injury*

Nirvana

Reaction score
Would not shed a tear if we finally cut McCray. If you watch that last KO return at the end of the game vs. Bengals, it was McCray's containment that broke down on the left side. He is over-hyped as an ace ST guy.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
He was rated above average by more than one publication last year that measured OL play.

Also, the numbers in pass protection and when we ran behind him were pretty good, as well.

I understand you don't like him.. which is fine.. but i don't believe there's anything you can point out to qualify his play last year as "bad".

I use the eye statistic. What I see on the field. There were certainly plays where he looked really, really bad. Lots of them. Bearnadeau also. Livings is so bad, it doesn't look like he's even going to make the roster.

Zordon

Reaction score

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
You know things are in a sad state when you're hoping for two OGs (Leary and Bernie) to recover in time to start vs. the Giants in time for game one of the regular season. Surely you also know the front office is squirming in their seats right about now and deserve of all the discomfort they have for letting the OL situation get to where it is. Hopefully, they'll bear this in mind whenever the next draft rolls around. What a mess!

We think this every year. The fact is, our OL is so bad we should be dedicating almost entire drafts to it, lol. Some people think just because we spend a single pick on it, it means we're not ignoring it. If we bring in scrubs, we're not ignoring it. This team cut an old aging OL unit over the course of 3 years (Adams, Kosier, Gurode, Davis, Colombo) and then expected to fix it in only a few. We had no talent worth being developed to step in for ANY of those players (With the exception *maybe* being Free. Jury is still out on him). Instead, we had to get serious about it all of a sudden. Meanwhile, wasting picks on positions that weren't really of need (Roy Williams) and overpaying others (Barber) Not only that, but the 2nd round TE busts we keep using picks on.

We say it every year "After this year, they'll just HAVE to address this line properly". They never do.

Reaction score
What's crazy is that a combination of poor play and bad luck has set the stage for justifying an expenditure for OG (read Waters). They should just do it already.

I think this team is a lot closer to competing than the talking heads say,,, and if this team is held hostage again by that freaking OL then Jerry should be legally declared insane and removed from society... :cool:

reddyuta

Reaction score
What's crazy is that a combination of poor play and bad luck has set the stage for justifying an expenditure for OG (read Waters). They should just do it already.

I think this team is a lot closer to competing than the talking heads say,,, and if this team is held hostage again by that freaking OL then Jerry should be legally declared insane and removed from society... :cool:

they better do it this week so that he will have a chance to practice and hopefully play against the Giants.

Plankton

Reaction score
Talent aside, I think that you are really seeing the effects of less time during the offseason spent on workouts and the like due to the CBA. There have been more ridiculous muscle pulls than I can ever remember over the past two seasons.

I do think that they poorly planned for the season in counting on Ratliff being a main cog, and that they didn't bring in any new bodies at guard. I am hopeful that Leary will continue to emerge as a solution, but he will not be 100% week one. Livings likely won't be in a position to contribute until a few weeks into the season at best. Bernadeau is a spare. So is Arkin. Looks like hope remains the strategy on the OL front.

newlander

Reaction score
Hatcher and groin injury could be nagging thing. BIG trouble if he's not there. Bass/Hayden/Lissemore not greatest combo

agree....we don't have much money wrapped up in Mac or Livings...cut them both and sign the BEST two guards we can after FINAL cuts. We also need another Dtackle badly IMO for depth