News: Practice Points: Big Day For Both Parsons & Wright

kskboys

Reaction score
The two QBs just got here a few days ago. There are only 5 OL in the camp. If those two QBs and the offense were lighting it up in practice these first two days, that would be a huge cause of concern for the defense.
Oh, so it's OK for concern, but only if you approve!!!! Got it, you negative nancy!!!!!!!!!!!!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The two QBs just got here a few days ago. There are only 5 OL in the camp. If those two QBs and the offense were lighting it up in practice these first two days, that would be a huge cause of concern for the defense.

Very true. Only three drafted players on offense. Eight on defense.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Very true. Only three drafted players on offense. Eight on defense.

They have a bunch of UFAs too. They went heavier on offense with the UFAs. The UFAs have pretty much equal chance of making the team as the late round draft picks. Not really much difference between 5th, 6th, 7th rd picks and UFAs.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They have a bunch of UFAs too. They went heavier on offense with the UFAs. The UFAs have pretty much equal chance of making the team as the late round draft picks. Not really much difference between 5th, 6th, 7th rd picks and UFAs.

I do think Bohanna has a much greater chance of making the team than the typical sixth-round pick because of the role he plays. His type of DT play simply isn't valued in the early rounds because he doesn't create much pressure and it's only a two-down position. So I think you have a better chance of finding players to fill that role late. It's kind of like fullback or kicker. Even the best usually don't get taken until the third day.

Only one NT was taken in the first three rounds (McNeill) and I believe that's because he was seen as being able to provide a little more against the pass than the typical NT.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I do think Bohanna has a much greater chance of making the team than the typical sixth-round pick because of the role he plays. His type of DT play simply isn't valued in the early rounds because he doesn't create much pressure and it's only a two-down position. So I think you have a better chance of finding players to fill that role late. It's kind of like fullback or kicker. Even the best usually don't get taken until the third day.

Only one NT was taken in the first three rounds (McNeill) and I believe that's because he was seen as being able to provide a little more against the pass than the typical NT.

YEah, I agree. Don't sleep on Austin Faoliu, DT (Oregon). Cowboys gave him around $120K guaranteed salary. Probably insurance in case Bohanna gets hurt or doesn't make the grade.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score

This is what people need to remember. They automatically think Bohanna is a throwaway player because he wasn’t taken before the 6th round. However, two down, space-eating NT’s just aren’t going to be drafted high at all… unless they’re like Vita Vea and have rare athleticism where they can provide help in the pass rush.

Guys who just take on two blockers and keep the LB’s clean just don’t go early. For this type of huge DT, Bohanna was among the first one’s drafted and he’s a legit prospect that I fully expect to make the team and contribute early. He’s very good at what he does and he’ll be used situationally in heavy sets.

DanA

Reaction score
That bit about Joseph’s quickness is just what you want to hear. One of the reasons some had Horn over Surtain and were weary of Surtain in general was because he was better matched for big-bodied WR’s. With Diggs already being that guy here, it would be redundant to have two of that type corner and have no one suited for quicker and faster guys outside.

Taking Joseph was perfect in that regard. His 4.3-4.4 speed with quickness and change of direction fluidity is the right match to Diggs and his style of play.

This assumes our CB’s will travel...if not, having CB’s with different skill sets sounds good on paper but is kind of irrelevant. Are you expecting the CB’s to travel? I’m not.

Last edited:

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Wait.... I thought everyone on here said Nashon Wright couldn’t even make a practice squad and rookie camp would prove he’d drown?

Maybe he can develop into something. Very encouraging seeing him say he got the pick because he could tell what route was coming. That’s picking stuff up quick!

cant wait for preseason games for these rookies. Aside from Parsons/Joseph it’s probably the most extensive playing time any of them will see this year.

I said he was a bust. I hope I'm wrong and gladly eat wrong.

I would rather be wrong about a player by making this team. Then being right and seeing this team crash and burn because of it.

plasticman

Reaction score
No matter the competition, I'll take positive news over negative every time.

It's a lot better than "Parsons gets burned by training camp quarterback and UDFA TE." and "Joseph can't cover undrafted WR's."

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
This assumes our CB’s will travel...if not, having CB’s with different skill sets sounds good on paper but is kind of irrelevant. Are you expecting the CB’s to travel? I’m not.
Why? What is your reasoning?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am surprised no one chimed in yet, from the usuals claiming, it means nothing it is only rookie camp.

Anyway, this is good news that they are even having them on the field and all are present. It starts to instill some basics of the schemes and their roles or possible roles and responsibilities.
Next up, OTA's to see how they do and where some will line up, as to all the players. I think they have a decent turn out for OTA's.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Wait.... I thought everyone on here said Nashon Wright couldn’t even make a practice squad and rookie camp would prove he’d drown?

Maybe he can develop into something. Very encouraging seeing him say he got the pick because he could tell what route was coming. That’s picking stuff up quick!

cant wait for preseason games for these rookies. Aside from Parsons/Joseph it’s probably the most extensive playing time any of them will see this year.
Or seeing as it was rookie camp they may have run the play 5 times in a row for teaching purposes. But, good reports are of course good reports. I wonder how he did in general. This article on DC.com seems to be a "highlight reel" of a play or two for a couple guys more than a true assessment of how they are doing. Which is fine of course.

DanA

Reaction score
Why? What is your reasoning?

Because unless the CB travels with an opponent, they take the matchup in front of them. Why wouldn't the opposition line up the more favorable matchup? IE: Fast guy on Diggs' side, big guy on Joseph's

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Because unless the CB travels with an opponent, they take the matchup in front of them. Why wouldn't the opposition line up the more favorable matchup? IE: Fast guy on Diggs' side, big guy on Joseph's
You can say that about almost all CB tandems in the league. Offenses always try to locate matchups in their favor. That doesn’t mean it’ll work. Joseph isn’t exactly small and Diggs isn’t exactly slow. We’ll be fine. There will be some growing pains because they’re young, but the talent is definitely there.

Aven8

Reaction score
Not surprising these guys are successful in a rookie group. Can’t wait to hear this stuff with the Vets out there and these guys are still making plays. Our season depends on all of them.