Practice Points: Observations against the Rams

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ezekiel Elliott and Rico Dowdle have both gotten their share of first-team reps in training camp and, in the joint scrimmage against the Rams, Dowdle looked very good with his opportunities. That said, it might've been the best day of camp thus far for Elliott, who also benefited from cavernous run lanes, a nod to the improvement of the offensive line, but Elliott was decisive in his cuts and his burst was on display as well to hit those lanes and quickly make it to the second and, at times, to the third level of the defense.- (Patrik Walker)
Rico Dowdle had a strong day, including two big early runs in the team drills that got the crowd going. The middle of the offensive line with Brock Hoffman, Zack Martin and Tyler Smith also deserves credit for paving lanes, as well as T.J. Bass in some rotational work. - (Nick Harris)
I hope ya'll are ready to see the running game return this year. After the disaster last year, I have no doubt McCarthy spent some time into fixing it the last 6 months. What's the QB's best friend? A good running game.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I hope ya'll are ready to see the running game return this year. After the disaster last year, I have no doubt McCarthy spent some time into fixing it the last 6 months. What's the QB's best friend? A good running game.
Both backs looked good, and even Davis had some nice runs, but it's hard to say how much of that had to do with the defense not tackling to the ground.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The sixth receiver battle is interesting. Cropper, Johnson and Flournoy all showed up at times. A tie probably goes to the draft pick.

rambo2

Reaction score
The sixth receiver battle is interesting. Cropper, Johnson and Flournoy all showed up at times. A tie probably goes to the draft pick.
Flournoy looks like he makes it. Cropper should be on the team too.

rambo2

Reaction score
Both backs looked good, and even Davis had some nice runs, but it's hard to say how much of that had to do with the defense not tackling to the ground.
The rookie from Missouri looks good too. It will be interesting in the game on Sunday. He might break a long one if he gets some carries.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Flournoy looks like he makes it. Cropper should be on the team too.
I just don't think there's room for both. Lamb (when he signs), Cooks, Tolbert, Brooks and Turpin are locks. Flournoy and Cropper would make seven. Don't think we short another position to do that.

Mikexike

Reaction score
The rams not having donald on the D line helps, But I feel that with a new center we will be happy with the run game. Tyler Biadasz was definitely the weak spot on the line, No power at the point of attack.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That guy will buy sand in the desert
IMG-0536.gif

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That guy will buy sand in the desert
We saved our current starter at HB from and early retirement.

We also upgraded the OL buy replacing an All Pro with a rookie thats never played the left side. As well as replacing our OC with either his backup, or another rookie

Im pumped

JBS

Reaction score
We saved our current starter at HB from and early retirement.

We also upgraded the OL buy replacing an All Pro with a rookie thats never played the left side. As well as replacing our OC with either his backup, or another rookie

Im pumped
And the doofus who put the run game together is still here!