Practice Points: Tyler Guyton exits for evaluation, more from final practice

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's beginning to truly feel as if Trevon Diggs is nearing top form, already, and that would be a massive testament to both his work ethic and the skill set within the Cowboys' training and medical staff. Less than one year after suffering a torn ACL, Diggs was on the practice field to end camp looking every bit like himself — talking trash to every receiver he was lined up against while winning nearly every rep as well, and he finished camp with two interceptions.
This really stuck out to me. Diggs back and ready to roll is huge for this defense.

JMO, but Diggs, Bland, Lewis and Carson is a pretty dang strong CB corp. And I like a couple of guys behind them as well.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This really stuck out to me. Diggs back and ready to roll is huge for this defense.

JMO, but Diggs, Bland, Lewis and Carson is a pretty dang strong CB corp. And I like a couple of guys behind them as well.
Can’t wait to get a first look at this new defense.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

rambo2

Reaction score
Patrik Walker really seems to like to build up players. It's doubtful that Julius Wood is more than just a practice squad candidate, and it's not a foregone conclusion that Stephens will make the roster.
Stephens makes the roster and one of their safeties could be traded for more dline help.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Stephens makes the roster and one of their safeties could be traded for more dline help.
Maybe he does. I'm not counting out Hendershot for the third spot because I don't think Stephens has had as strong a preseason as he had last year. I think Spann-Ford is definitely PS bound. I don't think we'll keep more than three tight ends because we want to keep Luepke. Stephens cannot be relied on as a blocker. He's still a developmental TE at best. Still, if he has a big game Saturday, he could claim the third spot.

Jipper

Reaction score

While I totally agree, I worry that without a pass rush that they will be made to look weaker than they are...however if we have even a middle of the road pass rush it's on like donkey Kong in the secondary, they are going to shut things down

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The only thing I can say is… don’t scare the crap outta me with that Guyton headline. I was already thinking of the first domino falling on this promising OL.
That was the title at the Mother Ship so why I said right off that it was good news on Guyton. It scared me too.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Maybe he does. I'm not counting out Hendershot for the third spot because I don't think Stephens has had as strong a preseason as he had last year. I think Spann-Ford is definitely PS bound. I don't think we'll keep more than three tight ends because we want to keep Luepke. Stephens cannot be relied on as a blocker. He's still a developmental TE at best. Still, if he has a big game Saturday, he could claim the third spot.
Stephens was targeted multiple times in yesterday’s final padded practice. All the Cowboys talking heads say he’s made the team.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Stephens was targeted multiple times in yesterday’s final padded practice. All the Cowboys talking heads say he’s made the team.
He's had five catches for 35 yards in two games where he's played the majority of the snaps. Plus, his blocking still isn't very good. We'll see. The fact that Hendershot has been hurt does make it easier for him because only Ferguson and Schoonmaker are guaranteed spots.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's had five catches for 35 yards in two games where he's played the majority of the snaps. Plus, his blocking still isn't very good. We'll see. The fact that Hendershot has been hurt does make it easier for him because only Ferguson and Schoonmaker are guaranteed spots.
Well, you’re not there in training camp every day. All reports are he’s a lock and maybe even the #2 TE.

rambo2

Reaction score
Stephens is looking solid.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Well, you’re not there in training camp every day. All reports are he’s a lock and maybe even the #2 TE.
And reports have been wrong before. Like I said, we'll see. I have no problem if it turns out that way, but again, he hasn't done much in the preseason games for any fan to say that he's a lock. "Reporters" like the one who wrote this report practically think every player is a lock.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And reports have been wrong before. Like I said, we'll see. I have no problem if it turns out that way, but again, he hasn't done much in the preseason games for any fan to say that he's a lock. "Reporters" like the one who wrote this report practically think every player is a lock.
He’s not the only one. MM has praised him multiple times.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Stephens is looking solid.
5 catches for 35 yards is OK. Blocking is going to be the key. Dallas doesn't just need him to be a big receiver playing tight end. Maybe they are satisfied with what they've seen, though.

rambo2

Reaction score
Luepke is a lock.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Luepke is a lock.
That one I believe, which is why I think we'll only keep three tight ends on the 53. I'm sure about Ferguson and Schoonmaker for obvious reasons, but that third spot to me comes down to whether they like Hendershot, Stephens or Fant better. I think Spann-Ford is out of the race and headed toward the practice squad. I could see Hendershot being a short-term IR guy since I think he's been nursing an injury for weeks now. That would leave Fant and Stephens for the final spot in that case.