News: Practice Recap: D-Law’s Return

CCBoy

Reaction score
Practice Recap: D-Law’s Return
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/practice-recap-d-law-s-return-maher-connects

FRISCO, Texas – For all the fretting from fans and media about his injured shoulder, DeMarcus Lawrence never shared the concern.

Considering he took the field for the first time on Tuesday, three full weeks ahead of the regular season, it only made sense for him to flex about it. “Y’all forget I played two seasons with a torn labrum, so it really wasn’t about how ready the arm was going to be,” Lawrence said. “I know I’m ready, mentally and physically. You only need one arm to beat two.”...

“I mean, I ain’t never had shoulder surgery, so I don’t know the timetable it takes people to get back from it,” he said. “But like I said earlier, I’m truly grateful that I’m healthy to get out there and do a little bit.”

“A little bit” is a key phrase. Both Lawrence and Tyrone Crawford are only doing individual work for the time being, as they ease their way into this process. Lawrence speculated that they’ll increase their workload in the next two weeks...

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Knock on wood, our players are on the mend and no one has been ruled out for the long haul. Health will be such a big part in us trying to achieve the ultimate goal.

May the NFL health god's be with us from here on out:flagwave:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“I mean, I ain’t never had shoulder surgery, so I don’t know the timetable it takes people to get back from it,” he said.
He should have had the surgery immediately after the season.

Then the timetable for returning wouldn't have been an issue.

• Brett Maher made all six of his field goal attempts during special teams period (33, 33, 40, 45, 47, 49 yards). He also connected from 50 yards out during the final team period of practice.
  • Garrett praised defensive end Taco Charlton’s start to camp and preseason before practice, and he showed some power in the one-on-one drill by knocking down offensive tackle Mitch Hyatt.
There's good news!!!

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I love guys that heal fast. That is, are tough.

I've seen tough people die from terminal illnesses. Toughness and the ability to heal are different things.

But I'm glad to see D Law on the mend.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He should have had the surgery immediately after the season.

Then the timetable for returning wouldn't have been an issue.

There's good news!!!

Unfortunately, I once thought Hyatt was a lock to make the team's 53, but I think he's played his way off the roster. He needs at least a year on the practice squad and in an NFL strength program. Hopefully he's not claimed on waivers and the Cowboys get time to develop him.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

FRISCO, Texas – For all the fretting from fans and media about his injured shoulder, DeMarcus Lawrence never shared the concern.

Considering he took the field for the first time on Tuesday, three full weeks ahead of the regular season, it only made sense for him to flex about it. “Y’all forget I played two seasons with a torn labrum, so it really wasn’t about how ready the arm was going to be,” Lawrence said. “I know I’m ready, mentally and physically. You only need one arm to beat two.”...

“I mean, I ain’t never had shoulder surgery, so I don’t know the timetable it takes people to get back from it,” he said. “But like I said earlier, I’m truly grateful that I’m healthy to get out there and do a little bit.”

“A little bit” is a key phrase. Both Lawrence and Tyrone Crawford are only doing individual work for the time being, as they ease their way into this process. Lawrence speculated that they’ll increase their workload in the next two weeks...

A couple of the notes in this story show why it's hard to draw many conclusions from camp. It was pointed out that Covington whipped Redmond in 1-on-1s and Taco beat Hyatt. From what we've seen in the preseason, neither of those offensive players should pose a problem defensive linemen who will actually make a roster. It's good that our rotational defenders beat two scrubs rather than losing to them, though.

We really need Taco to bring it at right end, especially with Quinn out. If he's not able to step up enough, then we need to give Hyder a shot at right end.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A couple of the notes in this story show why it's hard to draw many conclusions from camp. It was pointed out that Covington whipped Redmond in 1-on-1s and Taco beat Hyatt. From what we've seen in the preseason, neither of those offensive players should pose a problem defensive linemen who will actually make a roster. It's good that our rotational defenders beat two scrubs rather than losing to them, though.

We really need Taco to bring it at right end, especially with Quinn out. If he's not able to step up enough, then we need to give Hyder a shot at right end.

The thing is Taco has actually had some very good plays and some success in real games against real talent. But to read on here many act as if Taco can't fight his way out of a way paper sack.
But still to knock even a TC player that may be on the PS is still showing something.
If this was a pancake block by some OL over, say Daniel Wise, another pre camp fan favorite, then some would be jumping for joy.

I agree, he needs to be looked at on the right side, but I think Hyder can handle that well for 2 games just as well.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Just be ready game 1 its not lie Amari or others are getting much work in TC or practice ie the VETs..we need some pass rush game 1 ..please be back and ready for both players

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The thing is Taco has actually had some very good plays and some success in real games against real talent. But to read on here many act as if Taco can't fight his way out of a way paper sack.
But still to knock even a TC player that may be on the PS is still showing something.
If this was a pancake block by some OL over, say Daniel Wise, another pre camp fan favorite, then some would be jumping for joy.

I agree, he needs to be looked at on the right side, but I think Hyder can handle that well for 2 games just as well.

It's the inconsistency that he's shown that is a concern for me, especially since we might have to rely on him as a pass rusher with Quinn and Gregory out. I'm glad he's having a good camp and things are looking up for him at least as a rotational player. That he's won some battles against the likes of Hyatt and other team's second- and third-stringers is much better than if he couldn't beat those types of players. I just can't take that as a sign that he's ready to step up with the big boys and actually be a force down after down.

This next game should tell us more in that regard, assuming the Texans don't sit their starters. Hopefully, we'll see Charlton at least hold his own against a starting tackle. I'm not expecting him, or any end, to win every battle, but he needs to be winning some of them. Against the backups, he needs to be winning most of them IMO.

I'd actually like to see more from Hyder than I have against these backups, too. I'm not knocking the plays he's made, but I'd like to see these players frustrating offensive coordinators playing these backups like players like Lawrence does against starters, to the point where you know you have to give your guy some help or he's going to lose practically every time. Possibly, I'm expecting too much, but for us to have the kind of balanced pass rush this scheme needs from its front four, that's what it is going to take. Someone other than Lawrence has to be bringing consistent pressure.

Carson

Reaction score
Lawrence earned every penny. Played with a bad back and still produced.

You got your money, now get that ring!!

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I've seen tough people die from terminal illnesses. Toughness and the ability to heal are different things.

But I'm glad to see D Law on the mend.
How well people deal with and comeback from injury are indicators of toughness. IMO.