Predict the 2020 Roster Surprise

Kaiser

Reaction score
The year was 2013. The Cowboys were coming off two 8-8 seasons and Katy Perry topped the charts. Dallas had a big offseason hole to fill at LG because the year before they had thrown money at Nate Livings with a 5 year, 18MM free agent contract only to see him struggle through one injury-filled season and retire. (Probably part of the reason they don’t pay above average FA salaries to average players any more).

In the offseason many Dallas fans wanted to double down on a free agent. Dallas did nothing.

Leading up to the draft, fans zeroed in on the OGs they wanted to draft to fill the gaping hole in the lineup. Dallas did nothing.

Dallas fans screamed about the possibility of playing backups like Derrick Dockery as the starter. Dallas said in interviews they liked a practice squad guy they were developing.

Mickey Spagnola trotted out the usual team apologies writing this poor excuse for a sports article:

He looks strong as bull.

Built like one of those top-loading deep freezers.

And to most out there, he's a forgotten man, and understandably.

But around here, when so many want to throw jab after jab at the Cowboys for failing to do enough this offseason to improve their offensive line, they must snicker quietly to themselves. They know better. They know they've got a real shot at multiple upgrades to the interior of this offensive line.

But here is the most silent shot being loaded, and let me be one of the first to pull back the under-the-radar curtain on …

Ronald Leary.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-this-guy-on-the-cowboys-offensive-line-radar-337496

Leary went on to start the next four years and play well. Beyond Leary they have had other Practice Squad players like Dwayne Harris contribute (he later made the Pro Bowl for NYG as a ST player). They have also had late adds or futures players like Antwuan Woods start after joining the team off waivers in camp. The early version of David Irving came from another team’s PS late in the season.

Fortunately Dallas has drafted well enough that they only have one obvious hole in the starting lineup at the moment IMO at Cornerback. So who is this year’s Ron Leary? Who could surprise? We have a long list of Practice Squad, Injured Reserve and back of the roster players who could move into significant roles on the team in a Ron Leary type surprise:

WR:

Noah Brown is still only 24 and has a ton of physical talent

Cedric Wilson has flashed and got reps late in the season

JonVea Johnson had a lot of buzz in training camp but was very raw. He has excellent deep speed.

Devin Smith played well in games 2 & 3, then never played again for reasons unknown.

TE:

I don’t see it, but Dalton Schulz could improve

Swing Tackle:

If either one of Brandon Knight or Mitch Hyatt steps up to win the Swing Tackle spot it would be a real bonus. Knight played better than expected last year as a UDFA.

RDE:

Aldon Smith and Randy Gregory are the lottery tickets but Dorance Armstrong actually played well in limited reps. If he took a big jump forward he could conceivably start.

Joe Jackson made the roster and is more of a LDE, but could easily improve.

Jalen Jelks has physical skills and bend, he was good enough to stash on the IR with a fake injury to avoid exposing him to waivers.

LB:

Luke Gifford flashed at times and could step up into a bigger role

CB:

Chris Westry is a 6’4” CB from the practice squad but it’s the longest of longshots to think he could start. Jourdan Lewis taking over as a starter and playing well is the more likely surprise if you look at internal candidates. If we don’t draft a CB high, look for that to be a big topic of discussion.

Safety:

Donovan Wilson was like a Ron Leary with great physical skills but in need of the “the game slowing down”. He could step up in the Jeff Heath role as a hard hitting 3rd safety.

So would be your picks for a breakout player from the back of the roster?

Mine would be Devin Smith on offense and Donovan Wilson on defense.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My hope is the best roster surprise will be in the draft because unlike an older FA, that would mean we have at least 4-5 years of quality performance at a cheaper price and with upside.

The draft is always the best value for roster improvements.

Swagger

Reaction score
Justin Herbert

I can sense a big move in the draft.

Jerry Jones will reach boiling point with Prescott wanting upwards of $40 million a season and finally realises that it's business and he is not to be messed with by pulling the trigger with Justin Herbert and trading Prescott with a few picks to Miami. I.e. Jerry watches some tape of previous games and realises that Prescott has only carried the team in a dead rubber versus the Giants...

With the extra cap space we also sign Clowney and another quality defensive free agent going all in for the Superbowl within the next three years before the Giants/Commanders have rebuilt themselves in the division.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Randy Gregory, maybe? Jordan Lewis is a guy I think will play at a level above the level he’s generally considered at this year.

On offense, give me Jarwin, because I think we’ll be worrying less about TE blocking’s where he’s a liability and using him more in the downfield passing game.

If I’d have to pick a dog, I’d pick Aldon Smith not even making the roster. I don’t think that would happen but he needs to be reinstated, and there’s always a risk after four years off.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Randy Gregory, maybe? Jordan Lewis is a guy I think will play at a level above the level he’s generally considered at this year.

The big tell on Lewis will be if we don't draft someone. Lewis has tons of physical talent, I think the issue before was him knowing the system and not really fitting Richard's scheme.

But he could be a perfect fit for McCarthy's "fit the scheme to your roster" approach.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I can see Devin Smith stepping up and becoming the starting punter we've been looking for.

DanA

Reaction score
Donavon Wilson is probably the most likely. He flashed last pre-season with some nice turnovers, maybe he can put it together this season.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

On offense, give me Jarwin, because I think we’ll be worrying less about TE blocking’s where he’s a liability and using him more in the downfield passing game.

If I’d have to pick a dog, I’d pick Aldon Smith not even making the roster. I don’t think that would happen but he needs to be reinstated, and there’s always a risk after four years off.
Like the list, my thoughts as well.
We really need to hit on DB like Westry or Canady this year, despite what we do in the draft.
This secondary needs ASAP attention, and a little luck in one of these young DBs breaking out, would be monumental in adding instant flexibility to this secondary.