News: Predicting which Cowboys games will be in prime time in 2023

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the Cowboys coming off an 11-win season with a postseason victory, the expectations are high, which means more national exposure for Dallas. Here is a look at which games could see prime time:

1. Cowboys vs. 49ers — Returning to the scene of the crime at Levi's Stadium would be a tremendous start to the season. The NFL could have the Kansas City Chiefs kick the season off on Thursday night and then the hype would continue as Dallas and San Francisco would pick up where they left off in the postseason. Did Dallas really fix their run defense? Can the Cowboys score more than 12 points?

2. Cowboys vs. Chargers — There would be nothing better than to see Dan Quinn's defense go against former offensive coordinator Kellen Moore's offense with the subtext of a quarterback duel between Dak Prescott and Justin Herbert. The added 17th game this season, the contest will also take place at SoFi Stadium, which means a third consecutive year of the Cowboys playing in the entertainment capital of the world.

3. Cowboys vs. Giants — The NFC East is back to being a melee with essentially a big game anytime divisional rivals hook up. Dallas swept the Giants last season, and it didn't matter whether Cooper Rush or Prescott was under center.

4. Cowboys vs. Dolphins
5. Cowboys vs. Eagles

Read more: https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports...ames/287-4a5aa769-b9bc-41fa-b43e-fc70da0d357e

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They messed up right away, the article said 11 win season...they won 12.... yes the article actually had 11....:laugh:

I can see Dallas-SF opening game, or a Dallas Philly game as well. But one will be later on around week 5 or 6 to let the game build up.
I can also see a Philly-SF opening Sunday night game for the NFCCG rematch. Keeping both the games for Dallas vs. Philly and SF for later ratings draws.

I can see the LAC game on T-Day, then again will CBS give that game up for a Sunday game. As they will get the ratings on T-Day no matter what.

Also keep in mind, I believe there is a Friday night game after T-Day planned, as well 3 games on Christmas, on a Monday is planned. Now Dallas will not get that Friday game, but they very well could get one of the Christmas Day game against one of these opponents mentioned.

JayFord

Reaction score
I would hope there would be no prime time games. I want all noon Sunday games.
im RIGHT THERE with you...play at noon so i can go about my day

but One of the Philly games is primetime
Giants on SNF to start the year
Jets for thanksgiving (only play 2 AFC teams at home Jets and Pats so its jets)
San Fran on Thursday after thanksgiving
Bills on Monday night

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
They messed up right away, the article said 11 win season...they won 12.... yes the article actually had 11....:laugh:

I can see Dallas-SF opening game, or a Dallas Philly game as well. But one will be later on around week 5 or 6 to let the game build up.
I can also see a Philly-SF opening Sunday night game for the NFCCG rematch. Keeping both the games for Dallas vs. Philly and SF for later ratings draws.

I can see the LAC game on T-Day, then again will CBS give that game up for a Sunday game. As they will get the ratings on T-Day no matter what.

Also keep in mind, I believe there is a Friday night game after T-Day planned, as well 3 games on Christmas, on a Monday is planned. Now Dallas will not get that Friday game, but they very well could get one of the Christmas Day game against one of these opponents mentioned.
Philly at KC would be the most obvious Thursday opener, no?

Motorola

Reaction score
I think there was one season in the Falcons' history when every gametime start was 1 pm eastern time.

Motorola

Reaction score
With the Cowboys coming off an 11-win season with a postseason victory, the expectations are high, which means more national exposure for Dallas. Here is a look at which games could see prime time:

1. Cowboys vs. 49ers — Returning to the scene of the crime at Levi's Stadium would be a tremendous start to the season. The NFL could have the Kansas City Chiefs kick the season off on Thursday night and then the hype would continue as Dallas and San Francisco would pick up where they left off in the postseason. Did Dallas really fix their run defense? Can the Cowboys score more than 12 points?

2. Cowboys vs. Chargers — There would be nothing better than to see Dan Quinn's defense go against former offensive coordinator Kellen Moore's offense with the subtext of a quarterback duel between Dak Prescott and Justin Herbert. The added 17th game this season, the contest will also take place at SoFi Stadium, which means a third consecutive year of the Cowboys playing in the entertainment capital of the world.

3. Cowboys vs. Giants — The NFC East is back to being a melee with essentially a big game anytime divisional rivals hook up. Dallas swept the Giants last season, and it didn't matter whether Cooper Rush or Prescott was under center.

4. Cowboys vs. Dolphins
5. Cowboys vs. Eagles

Read more: https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports...ames/287-4a5aa769-b9bc-41fa-b43e-fc70da0d357e
Certainly a 6th game that could be primetime Jets @ Cowboys...longtime nemesis Rodgers now wearing green and white instead of gold and green.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Philly at KC would be the most obvious Thursday opener, no?
Do they play each other this season? I need to look at the teams, as I have Dallas' readily available.

NFCE plays the AFCE teams. But there is that extra road game the NFC has, and Dallas plays 2nd place LAC. So yeah, I guess I answered my own question. Philly at KC....good chance that happens, as they done that in the past, SB rematches to open the season.

Motorola

Reaction score
im RIGHT THERE with you...play at noon so i can go about my day

but One of the Philly games is primetime
Giants on SNF to start the year
Jets for thanksgiving (only play 2 AFC teams at home Jets and Pats so its jets)
San Fran on Thursday after thanksgiving
Bills on Monday night
Cowboys Fans should always expect anywhere from a third (5 games) to nearly a half (8 games -- I believe it happened one season the previous decade 2010-19) - to gametime starts other than early Sunday afternoons.
It's been that way for a long time..
(The cost of being "America's Team".)

Last edited:

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Agree with your list.

specifically I think Cowboys @ Eagles will be primetime

fivetwos

Reaction score
Don’t care at all about prime time, but more about which ones I’m going to need a bar for without the ticket for the first time since 2001. Not into the streaming thing and the problems they are going to have in season one.

I see the usual four, maybe five.

Carolina and Washington on the road…

As far as noon home games, I’d say 2-3. Washington/Giants and either Rams or Seattle.

If I’m not mistaken the max prime games has been extended by one.

Motorola

Reaction score
Whatever T-Day team we play....we will be a road game, late game. And our opponent will have an early home game on that previous Sunday.
Book it.
Incorrect.
As it has been for decades -- Detroit Lions___90 years (1934) and the Dallas Cowboys 55 years (1966; 1975 and 1977 being the exceptions) -
Those two teams will be the home team on Thanksgiving Day 2023.
Early = 1st game: LIONS - Ford Field, 12:30pm EST / 11:30am CST
Mid-afternoon = 2nd game COWBOYS - AT&T Stadium, 4:30pm EST / 3:30pm CST
"Book'em, Danno"

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Incorrect.
As it has been for decades -- Detroit Lions___90 years (1934) and the Dallas Cowboys 55 years (1966; 1975 and 1977 being the exceptions) -
Those two teams will be the home team on Thanksgiving Day 2023.
Early = 1st game: LIONS - Ford Field, 12:30pm EST / 11:30am CST
Mid-afternoon = 2nd game COWBOYS - AT&T Stadium, 4:30pm EST / 3:30pm CST
"Book'em, Danno"
I was talking the Sunday before the T-Day game.

Motorola

Reaction score
I was talking the Sunday before the T-Day game.
Thanks for clarifying your post.
Indeed- the last five Turkey Day games (2018-22), the Cowboys were on the road the previous Sunday while their upcoming holiday opponent played at home.
2017 and 2016 seasons -Dallas had a home game the Sunday before the Thanksgiving Day game - but their opponents did also = contiuning the track record.
But to be fair IMO -- all teams playing on Thursday night should have a home game the previous Sunday.
If that's not possible to do in every case ---have the Thursday game road team play in the earliest Sunday time frame to their local time zone.
1pm eastern
12 noon central
12 noon rocky mountain
1 pm pacific

Last edited: