Prediction: Gregory and Parsons will be our Starting DEs next year

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Does Stephen Jones hold grudges? Remember when Tank was strategic when scheduling his needed shoulder surgery until he got a new deal? I bet you Zoners the Joneses remember Tank's tactics very well.

Tank is still a really good player. Right now he's the 2nd best DE on the roster behind Randy in my opinion and the Lion is thisclose to being as effective as Tank.

The Lion should play more DE snaps than linebacker. With a full offseason of DE focus, strength/conditioning, and more tutelage from DeMarcus Ware, I can see Lion transitioning from MLB to full-time DE opposite Randy as early as next year.

Given what happened with Jaylon Smith, I bet Stephen is gonna approach Tank for a paycut. He will either accept it or be released. Especially if his broken foot doesn't fully heal and allow him to be the Tank that received a $105M contract.

I may be off here, but I felt the idea is worth discussing. In an ideal world, we keep Tank and continue to have Lion used all over the place as the ultimate defensive chess piece. But Stephen is shrewd with that cap which could make Tank a cap casualty. Everyone saw how good the Lion looked when asked to rush the passer when Randy and Tank were out.

Thoughts?

Jipper

Reaction score
Thoughts are that dlaw is an incredible player and has had to absorb the focus of coverage due to a poor defense around him.

With talent around him he will shine more in the popular measurable vs the working measurable that he looks good in

He will be the starter with Gregory

Tussinman

Reaction score
D-Law is safe until 2023…his dead cap would be crazy next season.
Even with his dead cap being high they would still save a ton of money (19 million saved in 2022 and 21 million saved in 2023 if he's a post June 1st cut).
Dead cap for D-Law is more than twice the hit for Jaylon. And D-Law is loads better than Jaylon.
Difference being there wasn't much savings if Jaylon was cut, there's basically 2 years 40 million saved if D-law is gone (huge difference)

Tussinman

Reaction score
On 105.3 The FAN they said that D-Law's agent is a big talker, always talking to the media, apparently he is paranoid that D-Law is next on the cutting board.
I don't blame him for being paranoid. Almost 20 million dollar savings if he's cut next year, that's almost enough money to sign Gregory, Neal, and Kazee all COMBINED.

3 starters signed or a high priced DE that's often injured and peaked in 2017 ? Hmm no wonder his agent is freaking out

John813

Reaction score
D-Law is safe until 2023…his dead cap would be crazy next season.

19mil dead, but 8mil saved on his 2022 cap hit if cut prior to june 1st where the team eats all the accelerated bonus in 2022

They restructured a lot of contracts this offseason, but not his.
If they wanted to wait till post draft to figure out his fate(aka June 1st cut) they would save 19mil post June 1st, and then 18mil on the cap in 2023.

Otherwords, they could cut him if they wanted to and not be destroyed cap wise.

Jarntt

Reaction score
He is not taking a pay cut. We are a much better team with Tank than without. The cap numbers can always show to cut a guy but you don't cut good players unless you have too. I don't get how so many on here don't see that Tank is still a good player. You can't only focus on sacks as he is a top DE against the run. Also, note that in the Charger game where Micah played entirely at DE he only played 55% of the snaps. So if you cut Tank you are also replacing him with an Armstrong/Anae type guy half the snaps. But, when your cap number is that high you need to be really, really good.

Cutting him after this year unless something changes drastically wouldn't be smart IMO. After 2022 could be a different discussion.
2022 cap hit $27M vs dead cap if cut $19M - not worth a $27M cap hit, but the difference isn't worth losing a good player (post 6/1 dead money split (22 -$8M; 23 -$11M). Save $19M 2022 but still $11M in dead money in 2023.
2023 cap hit $29M vs dead cap if cut $11M. Not worth a $29M cap hit. Could cut post 6/1 and split dead money $8M in 2023 (save $21M) and $3M in 2024. Now we are talking about a possible scenario.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Lawrence is a Cowboy in 2022 unless he agrees to a drastically restructured contract or the Cowboys are able to trade him.

RoyalCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with RG but disagree with Parsons. Keep him as a versatile LB that can even play OLB, then use him as a pass rusher in different exotic situations that varies depending on the opponent. Compliments his skillsets and keeps the QB's guessing. I hope DQ stays with us a few seasons, these guys will only get better under him.