Preparing to be disappointed with RB pick

Reaction score
My gut says we will wait until 3rd or 4th round to draft a RB. I honestly think that is too late for a premier talent to replace Murray (who wasn't a premier talent but produced like one last year). The threat Murray provided caused defenses to have to account for the run on every play. I'm not so sure that Darren McFadden + Mike Davis/David Cobb/Buck Allen will provide the same threat. Unless we get a premier talent at RB, I think our offense takes a bit of step back. Just my opinion.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
On the flip side, if we use the 1st two picks on defense and our defense takes a few steps forward, it would off-set the offense taking a step back.

This defense would have to make significant strides to offset how dominant our running attack was and how much it saved the defense from exposure last year. Simply adding a CB or LB is not going to make it that significant. We need DE, DTs as well. That is one reason why I am more concerned about adding more choices in the 2nd and 3rd as much on who we pick at 27 if I had my way.

I do not understand how so many people just forget how much playing keep away and having a run game like we had saved that defense.

And yes, I am getting prepared to be disappointed with the RB. Thanks to our own success last year, the position is now back on the radar and a lot of the teams that pick in front of us in each of the first three rounds will also be looking for RBs of their own.

Reaction score
Murray was a 3rd round pick.

I'm not saying we cant hit in the 3rd or 4th, but for every Murray, there are many, many more misses in the middle rounds. I would like to get as "sure of a thing" as possible at RB, given Tony's 2-3 year window, so that our offense is just as potent. I know it's no guarantee, even in 1st or 2nd, but it's a better chance because the physical attributes are there (40 times, combine times, college production). It was one of the reasons why I was willing to give up a 2nd or 3rd for AP, if his contract was reduced.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My feeling is if they don't get The first 4-5 RBs...they will not think about doing something like they did with Murray in having One back getting the vast majority of carries.

If they wait until the top 4-5 (Gurley, Gordon, Coleman, Ajayi and Yeldon) I think they come to one of two conclusions.

1. We will get one of the lower guys to be added to RB by committee approach and hope that Player beats out Dunbar or Williams. I don't know if Randall is going to be on this team any way so I did not include his name.

2. They will not take a RB because they feel what is left is no better than what they have already have on the roster.

Also for those that said Murray was drafted in the third..>That is true but I don't think they ever envisioned what he would become last year. I would not be shocked if going into the season this past year with the new Oline and concentrated effort to stick to the running game that they really envisioned him having that much of an impact and being that much of pretty much an every down back. I would imagine they thought of them having more of a running back by committe approach if for no other reason than the idea that Murray has never been a back that was healthy for a full season.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
This defense would have to make significant strides to offset how dominant our running attack was and how much it saved the defense from exposure last year. I do not understand how so many people just forget how much playing keep away and having a run game like we had saved that defense.

And yes, I am getting prepared to be disappointed with the RB. Thanks to our own success last year, the position is now back on the radar and a lot of the teams that pick in front of us in each of the first three rounds will also be looking for RBs of their own.

How many RB's in this draft to you think there are that can keep us at that level that Murray provided?

BlindFaith

Reaction score
This defense would have to make significant strides to offset how dominant our running attack was and how much it saved the defense from exposure last year. I do not understand how so many people just forget how much playing keep away and having a run game like we had saved that defense.

We haven't forgotten. We haven't forgotten the sight of Murray rambling for six or seven yards without being touched at all either. Just because we don't have one guy get 1800 yards this year means its a failure or a step back. If it takes two this year, so be it.

egn22

Reaction score
Here's a write up of Murray from 2011
Click the link for more opinions from the writer on Murray

http://www.bigblueview.com/2011/3/6/2029198/2011-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-rb-demarco-murray

Positives: Unbelievable athlete, great speed, jumping ability, overall athleticism is off the charts... Extremely quick in the open field, very good footwork and balance... Good short area burst, allows him to beat defenders to the corner... Good vision... Always knows where to go and sees things develop quickly... Exceptional receiving ability, will sometimes line up at wide receiver... Soft hands out of the backfield, versatile threat... Very good route runner... Oklahoma has put out some good runners in the past few years, and prior to his string of injuries, some thought Murray could be as good as Adrian Peterson... Puts up big numbers when healthy, had over 1,800 yards from scrimmage and 20 touchdowns this year... Has the ability to return kicks and punts in the NFL... Has a ton of potential if he keeps himself healthy.

Negatives: Shows too much of the ball when he's running, NFL defenders will rip the ball away from him too often... Has an upright running style that allows him to be knocked off center and has a hard time breaking tackles... Has a hard time getting out of arm tackles, needs to be stronger through the hole... Below-average leg drive, doesn't push the pile, gets driven backwards by larger defenders... Not a good pass blocker, usually goes out for passes on third downs... Tons of injury concerns, his upright running style leaves him vulnerable to a ton of hits, and missed games during each of his first three years at Oklahoma... Likes to break too many runs to the outside, needs to work more between the tackles.

Plankton

Reaction score

It's definitely easy to lose sight of that fact coming off of a 12-4 season where they were one poor call away from potentially playing for the conference championship. Winning is a great deodorant for the ills of a team.

As we sit right now, the defense is only improved from last season if Hardy is on the field. If he isn't, I believe that they are at best treading water. Carter played very well over the last four games of the regular season, and despite Sean Lee being very good, he's patently unreliable due to his injury history. The Cowboys still need to add talent at both DT and DE (keep in mind that both Hardy and Mincey will be FAs after the season). This upcoming season will certainly test the "don't eat the cheese" theory. Garrett's coaching job this season may be harder than last year's as a result.

egn22

Reaction score
Here's another from NFL.com on Murray

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/demarco-murray?id=2495207

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Murray is tall with a muscular build. Possesses great burst and the top end speed to break the long one. Strong runner that consistently finishes runs and falls forward. Excellent receiver that can get big chunks of yards after the catch. Very capable blocker in pass protection.

WEAKNESSES
Does not have the vision to consistently find open lanes and looks to bounce the ball outside too soon. Runs a bit high and lacks the power to get the difficult yards between the tackles. Lacks the agility to always make the first man miss in the hole. Has struggled to stay on the field.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
This defense would have to make significant strides to offset how dominant our running attack was and how much it saved the defense from exposure last year. Simply adding a CB or LB is not going to make it that significant. We need DE, DTs as well. That is one reason why I am more concerned about adding more choices in the 2nd and 3rd as much on who we pick at 27 if I had my way.

I do not understand how so many people just forget how much playing keep away and having a run game like we had saved that defense.

Man I go back and forth on this. Sometimes I'm 100% of this opinion, that we're 2-3 years from being dominant on defense. But othertimes I think about how the OL went from PUTRID in 2012 to actually pretty good in 2013 with just a couple of key additions. We've added Hardy, Lawrence is in year two, Crawford looking good, Lee is back and RoMcLain. I can see a case for a much better front seven, especially if there is rookie contribution.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you're probably right, OP, about where we go RB. Only difference would be that that's where I think we ought to be shopping for one. And I do think the rushing offense will take a step back in terms of productivity as a result. That's ok, though, if we continue to add better defensive talent with those picks.

More than anything, we need to hit with those first and second rounders.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man I go back and forth on this. Sometimes I'm 100% of this opinion, that we're 2-3 years from being dominant on defense. But othertimes I think about how the OL went from PUTRID in 2012 to actually pretty good in 2013 with just a couple of key additions. We've added Hardy, Lawrence is in year two, Crawford looking good, Lee is back and RoMcLain. I can see a case for a much better front seven, especially if there is rookie contribution.

There's lots of room for improvement there, which means you can do it on several different ways, which is the best probability for improving the team. If our defense could simply get to the level where it's not a liability, it changes things fairly dramatically for us offensively. It's a no-brainer to upgrade 4-5 positions on that side of the ball via VFA and the top of the draft.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Other than Gurley, I just see no reason to go too early at RB.

In fact, I'd bet that after the next 3-4 backs taken after Gurley, there will be 2-3 taken later still that will preform as well or better than that group.

Just a random example and not a prediction; would be no surprise if Mike Davis (or another back) taken in the 4th has a better career than Ajayi (or another back) in the 2nd. And I think this will be the case in several instances. The drop-offs are not that much if at all.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
There's lots of room for improvement there, which means you can do it on several different ways, which is the best probability for improving the team. If our defense could simply get to the level where it's not a liability, it changes things fairly dramatically for us offensively. It's a no-brainer to upgrade 4-5 positions on that side of the ball via VFA and the top of the draft.

My biggest fear is repeating our season from 2010. Granted, the 2009 playoff team was much different makeup, but they just did not make the necessary moves to fix the team. Specifically, we ran the ball very well in 2009 and then it crapped out in 2010. But I guess we have a better OL now.